6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

WARNING! - Throttle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stroke this
yea, that sounded like bs.
I agree, the one I read had some immature dialogue to say the least....

Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 PM
kevinesslinger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just had very scary experience with my truck. ( 08 F-350 Lariat DRW 6.4 PSD 4X4 Tow Boss 4.30 5,400 miles on motor ) Got in the truck Thursday morning, started it up like evey morning, put my foot on the brake and shifted the gear into drive. This is where the fun stared. The truck a ccelerated to full throttle ( on its own with my foot on the brake the rpm went to 4,000 + ) I was literally standing on the brake to hold the truck back.
Were the tires going up in smoke? I can't imagine the engine revving to 4000rpm in gear without the rear tires breaking loose. Hope they can get it figured out.

Kevin

Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
TW4949
New User
Last Friday I was sitting at an intersection waiting for traffic to clear when my new 08 6.4L, developed a mind of its own and started across the intersection. I stood on the brake and was reaching for the key when after about three seconds the RPM's went back to normal operating range. The RPM's spiked out to around 3,000 before going back to normal. I have had the vehicle for two months and have 2600 miles on it and this is the first problem I have had.

I took the vehicle in to the dealership today to see what they could find. Ford has absolutely no idea why this is happening or that it is happening. Thanks to this forum I was able to give them a direction to look. They did find that I needed new computer updates dealing with the idle calibration so hopefully that will solve my problem.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had this happen with my wife's 06 ford mini van and my 06 F150. Seems that the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are closer togeather on the newer fords and it is possible to depress the go pedal when holding down the brake. 1st time it happened to me I almost drove into the guy in front of me. Once I got use to placing my foot away from the accelerator when braking it hasn't happened again. It has never occured on my 08 6.4

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM
stroke this
Senior User
update

Ford had orderd a part for me to address the acceleration problem that I had.
I had it replaced today, turns out it was a excellerator petal. Service man said the remote sensor had gone out.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Showtime
Freshman User
I have had my 08 f450 do this while i was braking... To find out my foot was half on the brake and gas i know what a dumb ***, But the gas and brake are real close to the same distance from the floor board and they way i brake i can see the mistake.
I have now been slef conscious about this and have had Zero problems.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Nruss77
New User
I had the revved up engine also. I had pulled forward in my driveway when I came home engine at idle. Stopped the vehicle, shifted to reverse. I always back up at idle as this is fast enough to park it. With my foot still on the brake, the engine sped up as if I pressed the throttle to the floor. I had to stand on the brake as hard as I could to keep from backing into the house. I shifted to park and the idle dropped to normal. The service manager said they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. I've had this vehicle about 2 months and have 1850 miles on it.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 AM
killaford
Elder User
well the 6.4 is not popping heads and turbos like gumdrops so we need a sticking throttle to make a trolls day.

if this actually happened i dont think they hit 5K. the gauges just prolly freaked out if the computer wigged.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 AM
stroke this
Senior User
Originally Posted by killaford
well the 6.4 is not popping heads and turbos like gumdrops so we need a sticking throttle to make a trolls day.

if this actually happened i dont think they hit 5K. the gauges just prolly freaked out if the computer wigged.
My dealer said it was the sensor on the gas pedal and replaced it.
If you have this happen to you there will be no question about the gauges just freaking out, You will be standing on the brakes!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 AM
killaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by stroke this
My dealer said it was the sensor on the gas pedal and replaced it.
If you have this happen to you there will be no question about the gauges just freaking out, You will be standing on the brakes!
if the pedal stuck i would think the gov. would kick in. try it sometime in neutral.

i dont think the brakes would hold at 5K but i cant prove this. maybe Matt@Spartan can.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 AM
stroke this
Senior User
if the pedal stuck i would think the gov. would kick in. try it sometime in neutral.

i dont think the brakes would hold at 5K but i cant prove this. maybe Matt@Spartan can.
It doesn't make sense to me eighther but the gov. did not kick in.

Maybe you should see if the brakes hold with the petal to the floor.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 AM
killaford
Elder User
well i dont think you can get the converter in these trucks to stall @ 5K, maybe im wrong?

seems maybe there is more to the problem than a throttle switch.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Found this in my Ford tech manual.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User

"gauges just prolly freaked out" Hey killa bet you went to school with that Duramax guy. He spells it prolly too

Old 11-25-2007, 03:53 PM
killaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
" Hey killa bet you went to school with that Duramax guy.
hell, i graduated the nineunth grade!