Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cooling System Flush

Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 AM
billy3p
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling System Flush

I am new to the site and have just installed a water pump in my 2000 F350 7.3 diesel.It is still empty of antifreeze and I would like to ask if anyone can tell me how to properly flush the system before I put new coolant and anticavitation mix in?
Thanks,
Billy

Old 09-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get yourself about 20 gal of distilled water. It would also be a great time to upgrade to a 203* stat & billet housing. I like to flush without the stat, but you can do it both ways. If you leave the 'stat in, you have to wait for it to heat up and cool down between flushes.

So to get started, make sure it's completely drained (two drain plugs on the back of the engine). Fill with distilled and run the engine for a bit to mix it up. Get it to operating temp if stat is still in. Let cool, and drain completely. Repeat.

Now fill with your favorite flavor of coolant. Most of the guys around here like the Rotella ELC (aka "red koolaid"), but you can go with the green that you had in it (which requires the additive every 30k), or the Gold that the factory put in the later models.

It sounds like you already have the green stuff, though. That's fine, but it just takes more maintenance.

Joe

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
BTW, welcome to FTE!! You'll love it here -- TONS of knowlege about our trucks!!

Joe

Old 09-23-2007, 10:36 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Welcome to FTE. When i do it, i don't drain the block. I drain the radiator, fill it again with regular water (not distilled yet), run the engine for a few mins, and then shut it off, drain the radiator. Repeat this with tap water until the radiator comes out pretty clean. I find it almost holds a 5 gallon bucket's worth of stuff. Then fill the rad with distilled water, go drive the truck around and get it up to temperature. While it's still hot, drain the radiator and refill it. You want to repeat this until the water coming out is near clear, you won't get it "perfect" but very close. If you buy 20 gallons of distilled, you will be able to drive the truck around and drain 5 times. Since the water in the engine is almost pure now, drain the radiator once more, and refill with straight coolant, the additive in the middle. Since the system holds 8 gallons, you drain 4 gallons of water out, replace with antifreeze and you have your 50/50 mix. Drive around for a bit and it all mixes in.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 PM
billy3p
New User
Thanks for the information.I have not put the thermostat back in yet because I was waiting to see if I could leave it out to flush the system.Izzie says yes so if I go this route how long do i need to run the truck before draining and refilling between flushes?Also,I thought "red"coolant was a no no but I will trust you guys and return my coolant from O'Reilly's and get the Rotella as it sounds like this formula preempts the need to add the Ford F-16 mix.As for the drain block plugs,will I have to remove the starter to access the one on the passenger side.Something I would rather not do if possible.Will wait to hear further from you guys.

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:39 PM
billy3p
New User
BTY,
Should anyone have some free airtime today and would not mind discussing this directly please feel free to give me a call at 913-205-0056.I need to get the truck back in operation as I am going to relocate back to Texas very soon and will need to tow a trailer several trips.
Thanks,
Billy

Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by billy3p
Thanks for the information.I have not put the thermostat back in yet because I was waiting to see if I could leave it out to flush the system.Izzie says yes so if I go this route how long do i need to run the truck before draining and refilling between flushes?

Also,I thought "red"coolant was a no no but I will trust you guys and return my coolant from O'Reilly's and get the Rotella as it sounds like this formula preempts the need to add the Ford F-16 mix.

As for the drain block plugs,will I have to remove the starter to access the one on the passenger side.Something I would rather not do if possible.
Thanks again.
I leave the thermostat off for better flushing. flush till it is clear. Make sure that you have the truck set to heat otherwise you won't get all the stuff in the heater core. The way I did it was to use the "T" flush in the flush kits. Makes life much easier. I just kept the water hose and engine running till I saw clear and then 5 mins more just to be sure.

Well, red coolant is a No-no from the Ford standpoint because they want a coolant that works for as many cars as they can. Kinda like asking me if I would recommend a competitor's product, isn't it?

May I suggest that you first start with the driver side plug. That way you will know where it is and gain confidence. IIRC, all I did was use a 1/4 rachet with extensions to turn it. It is a little difficult with the passenger side but is doable.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
There are several ways to skin that cat, so it's up to you. You should be able to get to the plug behind the starter -- it's a PITA, but you can.

On the red stuff, DO NOT get Dex-Cool!! There is a big difference in that and the Rotella ELC. You can also get it pre-mixed 50/50 at Wal-Mart, but it's called "Global Lifetime" -- it used to have a pic of a semi truck on it, but I think they changed it. Same stuff as Rotella ELC though. You can find it near all the diesel stuff on the shelf. You'd need 8 gals of that since it's pre-mixed. It will work that way, but you won't have a "perfect" 50/50 mix because you can't get all of the distilled out. Some folks are very **** about it, but lots of people have done it.

I'm busy trying to get a bunch of projects done around the house so I can't call, but where are you going to be in TX? I'm in the DFW area...

Joe

Old 09-23-2007, 02:35 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Personally, I would use the Rotella ELC or the Fleetrite concentrated and not have to worry about not getting it at 50/50. There is a lot of water trapped in the system, at least for an Excursion. I had to a gal and some change out and add concentrated Fleetrite to get it to the level the measuring device said was right. So, in retrospect, I would dump all the coolant in first then add water till it is where it should be.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
PSDIESEL7.3
Freshman User
Welcome To Fte , As You Can Tell Already These Guys On Here No Wth They Are Talking About. Alot Of Knowledge On This Site.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
The Ex has a rear heater, so I'm sure it holds a lot more than our trucks. But there is some left in the block and some in the heater core. You might try some compressed air to see if you can get any more water out, but aklim's right -- if you have to have it 50/50, the only way is the concentrate. Add the four gallons of that and top off with distilled water...

Joe

Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
I flushed mine while I had the old water pump off and before I mounted the new one. Also a good time to switch to an extended service coolant like Cummins sells. Make sure you mix with distilled water so you don't have to worry about minerals plugging up the coolant system.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Billy, I just sent you the documents we talked about on the phone. Included you'll find Gooch's coolant backflush procedure and pictures of where the block drain plugs are located.

Stewart

Old 09-23-2007, 10:39 PM
billy3p
New User
Much thanks for all the guidance and input.I plan on doing my flush and refill Monday morning and have my fingers crossed all goes well.If someone can tell me from this description and forgive my ignorance,when I am under the truck looking at the oil filter I can see two small plugs into which a ratchet drive end or extension will fit(1/4" like you all have mentioned).Which is the correct plug to pull to drain the coolant?I believe if I can determine this one I should be able to match up its mate above the starter?My move will take me to Dallas,back to my birth state.
Thanks again for all the help.
Billy

Old 09-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Yes, that's the plug.

It exactly matches the one by the starter.

Sorry about the link to those pictures. I had that zip file put together for another member who was asking for help and I fogot to weed out the stuff you didn't need and add the Dieselsite link for you.

I've sent you an email with the proper link, but here it is again.

http://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/evans.pdf

Stewart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling System Flush