Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

C6 Rebuild/garage session

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:46 AM
husker
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
C6 Rebuild/garage session

I enjoy wrenching on my trucks and have done a lot of things to them. There are a few that I've never attempted or had the opportunity to do. Among them is a complete motor overhaul and the rebuilding of a transmission. That brings up the title of this thread.

The C6 in my 78 Bronco won't go into high and I've tried the simple fixes like checking the vac lines, modulator, and added Lucas. Those didn't help. I have two other C6's in the garage that are probably good, but I would have to tear them down to change the tailshaft for the married transfer case anyway. So, I might as well rebuild the one that is in the truck. The smart thing would probably be to take it somewhere and have it done, but I think I would like to try to do a rebuild.

That brings up the reason for this thread. I'm guessing there are a bunch of us that would like to be part of some wrenching that they haven't done before. So, here's the deal. I think I'm going to attempt to rebuild the tranny and would invite my other KS chapter members to assist or observe. I don't have a date set and I need to get the garage cleaned so there is enough room to work.

Fordboy_52(Matt) and tcbofade have already expressed an interest. Let me know what you think. The payback would be that if you are doing a project you would invite others. I'd like this to be an ongoing KS chapter kind of thing in addition to the regular g2g's.

Also, anyone that has done a tranny rebuild that worked(lol) would be a real plus.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:19 AM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's always fun to try and tackle a project you have never done before. I can tell you from experiance, orginization and cleanliness is key with most rebuilds and even more so with tranny work. You will really have to pay attention to the "order" parts come out of the case to make re-assembly a snap. Once you get a date set I can see what I can do about making it.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:56 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
haha, my knowledge of autp trannies is limited, but i have been known to jerry rig one to make it work

Matt

Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 PM
husker
Hotshot
C6'sl are supposed to be relatively easy to rebuild and not as finicky about cleanliness etc. A friend of mine said you could rebuild a C6 in a sand box and it would probably still work. I know that is stretching it, but I would still like to give it a try.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
u got any materials ordered yet? there are some killer books out there. i know the one i got when i was at your house was pretty dang good.

Matt

Old 09-24-2007, 10:12 PM
husker
Hotshot
No, haven't ordered anything yet. I may check and see what prices I can get locally from the parts stores. I've seen a wide range of prices for rebuild kits on fleebay, but don't really know what the differences are. Also, Duane suggested the forward planetary from a E4od and I also found a reference to that on tranny forum here. It increases the hp rating and also lowers the first and second gear ratios which would be good for crawling. I'll probably upgrade the clutches etc to withstand the off road abuse.

I probably won't get to it until middle or late October because there are just too many other things going on.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you can pull the tranny and t-case together. Then clean the heck out out the outside before you start. That will help keep dirt away from stuff during the rebuild.

Clint did a C-6 when he was going to school at VoTech. Everything I have read on them though says to get a good book on this. You may need special tools also. Seems to me it will cost close to the same to do it your self if you buy the book and special tools needed. And rebuild kits can be expensive. Large tranny shops seem to get hugh discounts on those over what regular folks can buy them for.

But you get the pride of doing the job yourself. I thought about going to tranny school and buying the special tools to do the simply auto trannies. C-4, C-6, maybe even the 350. Then just get a place with a small shop and do carry in/out stuff only as a part time job. Seems if you have a number of them to do a person could get pretty good at doing them. And if a number of folks went in on the books and special tools it would reduce the cost.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 AM
unclejesse67
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a how-to video on ebay. It made it pretty easy. The only special tool I had to buy was a clutch spring compressor.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Let me Know when you get ready for that project, I need to pay you back for all the help you have given me in the past.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
me 2, i wanna be in on this

Matt

Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 PM
husker
Hotshot
I may try to tear into it on the weekend of the 8th. The better half will be out of town so I can use the whole garage.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
I can tell you a good reference is best. Haynes has a very nice transmisson overhaul book for about 20.00. bad shoe productions has a full length video of the rebuild for about 40.00. I would get a full trans kit. Make sure not to ruin any of the bushings until you see what comes in the kit. Only the front pump and rear tailshaft bushings get replaced. Make sure the kit comes with the steels some don't. I use only alto steels and friction material in my rebuilds.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:54 PM
husker
Hotshot
I've picked up the Haynes manual and it does a pretty good job of discribing the process. Also, another site for Broncos has a extensive bunch of pictures that one of the users there did when they rebuilt a C6. I'll also take a bunch with the digital when we tear it apart.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by husker
Also, anyone that has done a tranny rebuild that worked(lol) would be a real plus.
Details, details...

I've never done an overhaul, and know nothing about 'em. I have done a swap or two. (should say that I HELPED with a swap or two...)

Are you still thinking the weekend of the 8th? Gonna be chilly...

Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
doh, thats graduation weekend. i could come out sunday, but not sat

Matt