1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Performance equation for the 6.8L Triton V10 versus the 7.3L PSD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:41 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance equation for the 6.8L Triton V10 versus the 7.3L PSD!

This is the bottom line equation, details to follow!

(3x 6.8L Triton V10's) + (236K mi) = (2x 7.3L PSD's) + (2x Turbo's) + (1x 4R100) + (259K mi)

We've been in West Yellowstone, MT for the past two weeks, and I learned early on that I wasn't going to abuse my truck by using it to tour the park. To keep the wife happy, I told her to go sign us up with the local Buffalo Bus Touring outfit. After riding many miles in both their 6.8L V10 and their 7.3L PSD, I thought a report comparing them might be of interest. Turns out I had to go talk with their maintenance guy to get most of my questions answered. Both drivers / tour guides said that I was the first to ask questions regarding their vehicles. Normally the questions are all about the animals, when and how high do the geysers shoot into the air, when's the next bathroom stop, and what's for lunch.

We just got back from our second all day tour. The first was in a V10 van, and the second was in the 7.3L F550 bus that's shown in pic #1, along with my better half. Note the Snow Yacht IV sign on the bug shield. Both of their vehicles are converted to snow cat deals and used for park tours in the winter. The rather unique CAC tube from the turbo is shown in pic #2. Has anyone seen one like this before? I guess it was modified to allow room for the oversize alternator. The maintenance guy said they received the truck that way from the company that gets the basic truck from Ford, and then builds the bus.

The bus only had 26K mi on its new engine and tranny, and it was very strong pulling up and engine braking down the grades. The park terrain seems to vary almost continuously from about 6K to 9K in altitude. We crossed back and forth over the Continental Divide a number of times, as it enters the park from the south, then makes a convoluted loop through the park, and again exists to the south. An interesting side note is that Isa Lake flows into both watersheds, and the water that flows out of the lake headed east winds up in the Snake river headed to the Pacific, and the water leaving to the west winds up in the Madison, then the Missouri, then the Mississippi to the Gulf.

Besides the constant grades, pic #3 shows why driving in the park is so hard on the engine. It seems that every few miles you come to a stop because of some animal in the road, or even more often a bunch of cars are stopped blocking the road to gawk at animals along side. The rule / protocol is that every time you come to a complete stop, you must immediately shut off your engine, so as not to disturb the tranquility of the moment! That's why 2 turbo's were required for the first PSD during its 233K mi service life. The maintenance guy said he tells the drivers to idle at least some before shutting it off after pulling a grade, but it was clear to me that both drivers we had were naturalists and cared more about animals that wear and tear on engines.

When I felt how strong the V10 was I was really impressed, especially when I saw 236K mi on the odometer! But that driver did know that the third V10 had just been installed 6K mi ago. He also said the tranny was original, but had been modified for use as a snow cat. I took a look, and there was a very clean looking engine along with a dirty tranny! I know they're some differences between the 4R100 in the V10 vs the one in the PSD, but I would've thought the one for the PSD would be beefed up more? Maybe it's just the lower torque of the V10 that made that one last so long.

Both drivers let the PCM do the shifting, and that along with the fact they let up on the throttle every few minutes to check for animals along side the road, meant that there was an awful lot of needless shifting and gear hunting on grades. If Ford would've given a couple of 6.4L test vehicles to these drivers, they would've for sure uncovered all their problems before those trucks were unleashed on the public at large! Also, that V10 was so impressive that I'm wishing Ford would provide their new F450 pick up body with a V10 option. The 4.30 diff they offer in the F350 V10 version isn't nearly low enough to suit me. The V10 van had something like a 5.67 diff which is used in the V10 Motorhomes, and that pulled grades as good as the F550!

Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool write up and cool pics, especially the buffalo. There are some buffaloes just like that one in a pasture right behind my house.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
At least 1 of the turbos on the 7.3 bus could be attributed to the P.O.S stock airbox in pic 2

Always the thinking man Gene. Very nice post and comparison.
You are living the dream of alot of us. Traveling and seeing the U.S. with no time frame (other than reservations at the next CG). Keep up the good life and have fun.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:58 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
I thought that if you are retired that you don't have to "work nights". Why were you up at 2:41 in the morning?

Nice write-up. I have wondered about the comparison between a V10 and 7.3. A neighbor just got an '02 250 4x4 with a V10 because he parks his truck in his finished garage in town and didn't want to get the walls sooted or wake the neighbors.???????? He pulls a livestock trailer and grain trailer with it so I wondered how much performance he would be giving up with the gasser.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thumbs up Went from V10 gasser

Well I have first hand experience going from V10 gasser to the 7.3 PSD. First of all, I loved the V10. From the get go, I have to hold back to prevent the head jerking take offs. When you kick the pedal, it goes. I don't remember the gearing but it was sure quick off the line. It had the automatic tranny and it was a F250 short box extended cab, 2wd. I tow a 9500 fifthwheel and I could definitely tell the difference between regular gas and the premimum. When I towed, I HAD to use the premimum to have any power. I enjoyed being able to stop for gas anywhere it was cheap but the 26 gallon tank would not let me go far, getting 7.5 to 8.5 mpg. It was totally stock and as far as mileage I got 15-17 most of the time empty with a bed cover. I needed another truck like I needed another hole in my head, but the price was right and it only had 34,000 miles on it for being 3 years old. The diesel definitely out pulls the V10, and the way the cab is insulated, it is just as quiet and seems to even get a bit better economy with the DP tuner 80 econ setting. The obvious oil change cost, and savings on fuel makes the 7.3 the best choice for long haul towing. It has a 38 gallon tank and I can squeeze 12-13 with the camper....almost double on the same routes we take. The DP Tuner definitely woke it up from stock, so all things considered, if you want heavy towing, go with the PSD, and around town as a grocery getter, the V10 gasser would serve the pourpose just fine.. That is what my father in law uses if for all the time....Just my 2 cents worth..Dave

Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gene, where is the first PSD, was it scrapped out? or was it still a servicable vehical, the interior was why it was replaced? Was it to far gone? I am assuming the V10's were blown?

Last edited by just another truck; 08-30-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 AM
FN74
Elder User
Gene- Man, I should have tried calling you. . We were at the park from the 23 to the 25th, staying at Madison campground. Yellowstone is just a neat place. And we even got to follow a buffalo down the road for about a 1/2 mile. Man they take their time. I think My 1year old crawls faster..... As for the V10 vs Diesel comparo, I would be curious to see the guts of the both of them after 200,000 miles in the park.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Im lookin at that intercooler pipe, Ive never seen one like that before. How big is that alternator though? It looks huge in that picutre. Nice buffalo!