Power Windows/Locks?? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Power Windows/Locks??

Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
New User

LongIslandMike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power Windows/Locks??

Hi, I have a 2007 F-150 XL 4.2L V6 with about 25 miles on it Just got it last night. I'm really excited to have a full-size truck again since I've been driving a Jetta the past three years due to my gas guzzling 97 F-150 Lariat with a 4.6L V8.

My old truck was a Lariat, meaning power everything (windows, locks, mirrors, etc.). I loved that truck. My Jetta had power windows, locks, mirrors, sunroof, and seats as well. With this new truck I didn't want leather and a ton of chrome...basically I shot for a basic as hell "work" truck that wouldn't be used for, well, working, heh. A lot of things I want to upgrade in the future but one of the things that sticks out is how much I am *already* missing power windows and locks.

I know that having power locks is as easy as $80 at the local tint/alarm place...throw in a pair of actuators and hook them up to the mechanism...simple. Easy.

But I'm curious if there is a way to do aftermarket power windows? I almost want to venture as far as to seeing if it's possible to just get some door panels from an 07 F-150 that has power windows (junk yard, pick-n-pull, whatever...or a catalog brand new...) and also getting the motors and whatnot. What, if anything, can I do to pursue this idea? Is it even possible? Are there any aftermarket dealers online that do this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any tips or information.

~LiM
Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Junior User

z28kilr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know about the brand new trucks, but I know with some older Fords the wiring for the door locks and windows is inside of the door panel. You'd just have to add the relays and get the door panels with the switches. You might go pull the door panels off and see if the wiring is up in there.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
You should be able to use 04+ parts, and you have two basic options. You can use OE motor and regulators or you can pick up a kit. Kit's seem to come in two forms, use the OE manual regulator and mount a drive device on splined input shaft. The other kits replace the manual regulator.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
New User

I've checked into the aftermarket...market....and found a couple of systems that seem to be ok. One of them is a direct bolt-on unit from Electric-Life, I would just have to get switches seperately, which they sell.

I'm thinking of seeing what the pick-n-pull has as far as an 04+ F-150 with power windows. Then I could get the door panels, OEM motors and hardware and everything else for dirt cheap. It would only be a steal if it all worked though, haha. So after a call to pnp if they have anything I'll be crossing my fingers hoping it all works. If they don't have anything I guess I'll go aftermarket.

~LiM

Last edited by LongIslandMike; 08-27-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Postmaster

FTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to all
Welcome to FTE!

I went to A1 Electric for my power window and keyless entry & pwr lock kits.
I have already hooked up the window using the switch kit that you can purchase through A1 Elect., but I do have the upgraded door panels (New from Y2K Ford) and the necessary OEM switches. I'm just waiting to decide on my power mirrors before I change everything out.

On EDIT: The window kit is a direct bolt-in using existing factory hardware (and fact. mounting holes). Which simply means no x-tra drilling or headscratchin'.

('05 F150 Recab)

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 08-27-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
New User

That was another thing I was curious about...would power mirrors mount to the existing door exterior? Could it be that the door is the same for all models? If so I'd love to get my hands on some power mirrors as well.

Looking on Y2K Ford's site I found the window regulators. Not sure if they are power or manual since the price is like $30. I was assuming they would be more. For a SuperCab regulator they are $77 though...is that for the power?

For the power mirrors, does the mirror assembly ($85) include everything or do I need to get other parts for it too?

I'm really liking this Y2K Ford site, I was very uneasy about getting aftermarket anything like this. I've also heard that going aftermarket on the power windows would mean slower up/down time compared to the OEM power windows.

~LiM

Last edited by LongIslandMike; 08-27-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Postmaster

FTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to all
I had gone through the whole set-up with our previous Y2K Ford contact (ED!) over the phone over my "lit'l" project. For it to be done correctly... the price tag would have gone well into the $1300+ range with all proper switches, harnesses, "plug-ins" ...and everything else.

The only thing I don't have (yet) on my aftermarket kit is the "Express down" feature.

So all in all my cost break-down went kind of like this...
365$ For the Power windows, power locks, and keyless entry feature ("free shipping"-fedex)

about 295$ for Both door panels (new) switch bezels and speaker covers (shipping incl)

...about 3-4mos later I also purchased the OEM driver side combo sw.,pssngr side window sw. and pwr locks sw. for both. ($95)

As far as pwr. mirrors.... I am looking into Schanfenaker (butchered spelling) w/ full pwr heat and turnsignals.

On EDIT: I would however highly recommend either Y2K or Direct Ford parts.. for the door panels and sw. bezels.

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 08-27-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
New User

Alright, I talked to Kenny at Y2K Ford and got a list of everything we both think I'll need to do this. So here's the list:

*All Ford OEM*
Left and Right window regulators (both come with motors) $250~
Left and Right lock actuators $60~
Left and Right window switches $80~
Left and Right lock switches $30~
Left and Right door panels (for power options) $400~
Keyless Entry $100

Now, I'm assuming I need a way to hook all of this up to something to get power to the actuators and regulators...call me crazy. Is that where the keyless entry module comes into play? Or am I going to be pulling the kick panel off to tap into power lines? Or what?

~LiM
Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMike
Alright, I talked to Kenny at Y2K Ford and got a list of everything we both think I'll need to do this. So here's the list:

*All Ford OEM*
Left and Right window regulators (both come with motors) $250~
Left and Right lock actuators $60~
Left and Right window switches $80~
Left and Right lock switches $30~
Left and Right door panels (for power options) $400~
Keyless Entry $100

Now, I'm assuming I need a way to hook all of this up to something to get power to the actuators and regulators...call me crazy. Is that where the keyless entry module comes into play? Or am I going to be pulling the kick panel off to tap into power lines? Or what?

~LiM
That is what had me stray away from 100% OEM parts...it also kicked me over the $1000+ figure (quite-a-ways) If you want to continue w/ the "Plug'n Play" availability with the OEM components up to now... factory harnesses will be "needed" unless you want to assemble your own....

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 08-28-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
New User

Hmm...maybe I can find an 04-07 F-150 that has the power options on it at the local pick-n-pull and take the harness from that? And maybe even some regulators/actuators, switches? I'm not going to hope too much for matching panels, but at the least I could knock roughly $400 off of what I'll have to spend if I'm lucky enough to get away with the guts and switches for it. The panels are $400~, so that's a huge part of the cost.

The other $400+ is from all the guts. Then another $100 for the keyless entry. I want to stick with OEM everything, just so it's all Ford parts...don't have any specific reason other than I just want it to be Ford OEM stuff. But I also want to get these upgrades for as cheap as possible, who can blame me? Heh.

~LiM

Last edited by LongIslandMike; 08-28-2007 at 06:59 PM.