Hey Abendx

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 01:19 AM
chadrock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Abendx

I have a few questions for you...

1) So you've had that chip in for about a week now. What do you think (power, shifting, mpgs)?

2) I have noticed that with my swampers, the front end of my truck makes a vibrating sound slowing down or speeding up between 15-25 mph(sounds like its the heat shields behind the roters vibrating). I think its because of the way the swamper tread is. Does your truck so that as well?

3) Is your steering wheel kind of turned to one side so it isn't straight since your trucks been lifted? Do you know how to fix it if it is? I know that the lift changed the angles on some parts of the truck.

Let me know. Thanks :-X11

Old 04-11-2002, 08:25 AM
RockyMountain250
Junior User
Hey Abendx

Well I can't comment on the chip but the problem with the stearing wheel is that your truck needs a alignment after lifting it. The lift will change the distance from the pitman arm to the axel and in order for the linkage to reach the arm has to turn to the right which in turn moves the stearing wheel. Now the hard part is finding a alignment show that can fit your truck on the rack. I had to search all over for one, the main problem is the length of the trucks and then you throw in the bigger tires and it gets even harder. I know some places will do them if you put the stock tires and wheels back on but I was lucky and found one that would do it with my 35's. Talk to your local 4x4 shop they should know a place tha can do it. Good luck....

Old 04-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Quikirk
Elder User
Hey Abendx

Old 04-11-2002, 01:01 PM
abendx
Posting Guru
Hey Abendx

> 1) So you've had that chip in for about a week now. What do you think (power, shifting, mpgs)?

ummm... wish i could tell you..... i have had it out for the last week..... sent it back to the dealer for reprogramming since my speedo still isn't calabrated.... this will put me back to squeare one... so i will have to let you know at a later date. sorry man!

>2) I have noticed that with my swampers, the front end of my truck makes a vibrating sound slowing down or speeding up between 15-25 mph(sounds like its the heat shields behind the roters vibrating). I think its because of the way the swamper tread is. Does your truck so that as well?

yes... speed has to do with the ammount of vibration and sound... mine gets really loud and vibrates really hard around 10mph... especially when slowing down.... it all has to to with teh tread width.... didn't you run swampers before? i have run lots of bfg m/t's in teh past and they do the same thing... although not as wildly since they are not as aggressive. i wonder how cool boggers would sound????

3) Is your steering wheel kind of turned to one side so it isn't straight since your trucks been lifted? Do you know how to fix it if it is? I know that the lift changed the angles on some parts of the truck.

the steering wheel can be re-aligned by adjusting the track bar. there are a couple of nuts on it and if you lossen them up u can make the adjustments to get your steering wheel straight.

> problem with the stearing wheel is that your truck needs a alignment after lifting it

not entirely true.....

yes an alignment is needed after a lift to keep your truck tracking a straight line correctly, but not to fix a mis-aligned steering wheel.

Old 04-11-2002, 02:13 PM
RockyMountain250
Junior User
Hey Abendx

Well yes you are correct that the alignment alone will not fix the steering wheel but they do adjust the rod the connects the pitman arm to the steering linkage to straighten the wheel. I am pretty sure that this is what you are refering to and it is different from the track bar which keeps the axel centered under the truck and is not adjustable.
This is why lift kits come with the new track bar bracket to keep the bar and the connecting rod for the steering parrallel. There are adjustable track bars made for jeeps and such but I have never seen one for a superduty.
If I am wrong I apologize and hope that I didn't step on your toes .....

Old 04-11-2002, 04:23 PM
abendx
Posting Guru
Hey Abendx

no toe stepping... and you are right... i guess that is called a steering arm????

Old 04-12-2002, 07:47 AM
RockyMountain250
Junior User
Hey Abendx

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Apr-02 AT 08:53 AM (EST)]Yea sounds good to me....

As for the boggers they are REAL loud, my buddie had a set of 31 12.50's on a cherokee and they were so loud that you had to yell to hear each other on the freeway. They also would shake the crap out of ya when you were coming to a stop. It was cool for a while but it got old real fast.

He would always say all you could hear was tires and tunes, and he was right you could here him coming a 1/4 mile away with those 2 12's and the boggers