Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Problems i need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 AM
BigBadPowerstrok
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 Problems i need help

I have a 2000 Ford F-250 7.3 4x4 6spd truck! I have a couple of problems and questions! First of all i have a starter issue when i turn on the truck sometimes the starter doesnt catch and just spins then after the next try or so it catches and turns on this has been happening for about six months also sometimes it turns on in the first turn! What could this be? Also my truck has 97,000 miles and it uses oil it doesnt smoke doesnt have oil in water or any leaks of any sort it uses about 2-3 quarts (maybe more) per oil change interval is this normal for a diesel truck??? The truck has alot of power and runs good and i use the Lucas 15-40 high tbn oil expensive stuff!! Could anyone help me on this??? Another thing my truck has a manual transmission and has the original clutch with 97,000 miles the clutch is getting really weak!! I want to replace it they sell a clutch kit on ebay it is a valeo stage III ceramic clutch for $500 what do you all think is it worth it has anyone bought a clutch like this or heard of anything??? One last thing i have the edge evolution chip on my truck and i read the engine codes and it shows the diagnostic code exhaust backpressure switch malfunction!! The engine light never comes on but everyonce in a while the truck idles a little ruff not really bad or anything there is no loss of power or anything like that!! What do you all think do i need to replace the switch or just ignore it the code has been coming on for a couple of months and i erase it and it shows up as soon as i turn my truck back on!!
Please get back to me with any info you can help me with for my truck!! I love my 7.3 and it treats me very well!!!! I would never get a piece of junk 6.0 or 6.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou all
Luke
Kslea04@tamuk.edu

Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First of all i have a starter issue when i turn on the truck sometimes the starter doesnt catch and just spins then after the next try or so it catches and turns on this has been happening for about six months also sometimes it turns on in the first turn! What could this be?
Probably a toasted starter. I rode in another PSD that had the same issues. It so happened the starter completely died that same day. He had been having trouble with it for a couple of weeks prior.

Also my truck has 97,000 miles and it uses oil it doesnt smoke doesnt have oil in water or any leaks of any sort it uses about 2-3 quarts (maybe more) per oil change interval is this normal for a diesel truck???
Mine always uses about a quart to a quart and a half between oil changes, and that's considered very little oil useage. Yours is about normal.

Couldn't tell ya about that clutch. Never had experience with that brand.

One last thing i have the edge evolution chip on my truck and i read the engine codes and it shows the diagnostic code exhaust backpressure switch malfunction!!
First thing you can do is look at the bottom of the turbo pedistal. The solenoid for the exhaust backpressure valve is in the pedistal, and there is an electrical connector that should be plugged in. Make sure yours is also plugged in. Was it a P0475 code?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:52 AM
pctjk
Senior User
I would pull the starter and then take a look at your ring gear to make sure no teeth are missing and then bench test your starter and look at the gear on it. Sounds like you may have teeth ground down (missing) on the flywheel. I would be concerned on the oil consumption. I have a 99 and this engine doesn't use any noticeable oil between a 5,000 mile oil change interval. I've had the truck for 2 years, no mods and 183,000 miles. I have yet to add any oil between changes. Look again for any kind of leaks. Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
My buddy got a South Bend clutch it was alot more than that clutch is, but when he let it out it grabbed. Alot of the fellas here have tried the LUK clutch brand and they seem pretty happy with it.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my guess is a p0478 code, with 100k odds are your ebp sensor and line is plugged, no worries no performance issues as all it does on a 7.3 is run your ebp valve on your turbo outlet nothing else,

Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
my guess is a p0478 code, with 100k odds are your ebp sensor and line is plugged, no worries no performance issues as all it does on a 7.3 is run your ebp valve on your turbo outlet nothing else,
.....x2......

Old 08-17-2007, 08:37 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
if that tube plugs you do loose power and fuel milage..our dp tuners works with that sensor...

Last edited by ron's power stoke; 08-17-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
ok let me re-phrase then....a stock 7.3 does not use that sensor for anything other then the use of the ebp valve, as for aftermarket tuners, you are on your own i have no idea what they use

Old 08-17-2007, 09:00 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
even stock you loose milage..you run higher egt..you notice it more pulling a load...

Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i dont know what to tell you, i have dealt with ford engineers on the 7.3's many times and even have the origonal release of the 7.3 brochure and the sole use for the ebp sensor is control of that valve

Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/public...d%20Diesel.pdf
here is an online version of the ads from 94 anyway, download the 94 direct injection guide, the second one and read it, the info is in there, if that wont suffice you contact your local dealer and have them call ford technical service hotline and speak with the diesel engineers and ask the question, they will tell you the same thing, the ebp is only used for performance on a 6.0 and that was deleted after the last recall....o6e16 i think is the latest, so even on a 6.0 it has no function now

Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the 94 book is on page 53

Old 08-19-2007, 12:49 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the ebp sensor malfunction code come up as well, where can I find this sensor and tube? I also have the Edge Juice/Att and Evolution, until I order Dp tunes.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 AM
k2vailkid
Senior User
ok let me re-phrase then....a stock 7.3 does not use that sensor for anything other then the use of the ebp valve, as for aftermarket tuners, you are on your own i have no idea what they use
I'm no Navistar technician, but if that was the case, then all of us whom have deleted the EBPV and pedestal shouldn't need the EBP sensor. But, I understood the EBPV to be a means of warming up the engine quicker when cold. Which in turn tells me that air temp, not pressure, would be the determining factor in how the EBPV operates. No?

The EBP sensor is still a mystery to me. It's effects boost, mileage, fuel delivery, and I am aware that Jody's tuning uses info from that sensor. The jury's still out, but more information continues to surface. I would love more info as well....

-Kevin

Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
I just had the ebp sensor malfunction code come up as well, where can I find this sensor and tube? I also have the Edge Juice/Att and Evolution, until I order Dp tunes.
the tube
http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214083&pa rtnumber1=1C3Z-9D477-AA&Makeid1=10&catalogid=0&searchType=Part%20Number %20Search%20Results&searchAll=1

the sensor can be found on e-bay some times for much less..ill let you surch for that..but here is one from power stoke shop..
http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=3660&s iteid=214083&categoryID=86743&subcat1=73203&subcat 2=73149

Quick Reply: 7.3 Problems i need help