Sponsored by: DP Tuner

First time maintenance tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time maintenance tips?

OK, the big day arrives thursday, when I finally get to pick up my PSD! I am so Frickin excited fellas! Anyways, I plan on a service immediately before my long trek home. (4 states) Any reccomendations as to what a guy should have done and at what kind of facility? I was figuring the oil and fuel filters at minimum. I have never owned a diesel before, so I am looking for what may seem even to be the most basic advice. Can a guy use synthetics, or stick to the Shell Rotella?

Oh, and thanks to you guys here I will also be stopping in to see Dennis at ITP to pick up some goodies before heading out of AZ too.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Bring a spare fuel filter and see what the oil looks like. If it is old or you are worried about it, go to Wally and have them do it. Get some DK while you are there. I would choose Rotella or Delo 15W-40 just to get me home and drive around some and see what I thought. Just make sure they fill the filter before install although I have done it without doing this long ago because I knew no better.

I would not mess with anything else until close to home or home. Bring a gray cps with you. The old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" really applies with an unknown vehicle going long distance.

Congrats on the truck. Tell us about it and where you are going to get it, and where do you have to go to get home. Got any pics? I bet you're excited. I still get excited just mashing the loud pedal. I guess that will never get old.

How are you getting out there to get the truck?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
badger2196
Senior User
Not really maintenance, but I would replace the usual problem parts first i.e. replace the Cam Position Sensor with the latest "B" version from Ford. Don't let them sell you the old one - the new one is gray and a lot cheaper (around $25).

Also, do Guzzle's Glow Plug Relay upgrade - details here:

http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/s_gpr.html

Both jobs are pretty easy if you have basic mechanical skills.

As for oil, yes you can use synthetic (and the Shell Rotella product range includes a synthetic version).

Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly I don't know if I would do anything. An oil and fuel filter change is something the previous owner should do for you prior to selling it, and you really won't be able to tell if anything is bad broke unless it breaks on the road. I'd take a decent test drive with the owner before you leave, then just get it in it and drive.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
HighOctane

Thanks guys, the pics of the truck are in my gallery, as far as doing anything, I was definately going to bring one of those spare CPS's with me, or probably buy one down there. Thanks to this forum on that, it was the first thing I thought of. The parts from ITP will most likely ride home with me in a box on the back seat. As for the oil and fuel filter change, I guess I could see if it is required, but as for my experience checking, I wouldn't really now what to be looking for unless the filters were dated.

I fly down to Phoenix from a small city named Kamloops in the Interior of BC. I plan on driving back home up the Cali coast using the 101. A little more scenic than the I5! Been there done that, and since I'm dragging the "warden" with me I figured maybe her and I could make a little vacation out of it. Making memories in the PSD right from the start!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds like a killer trip!! Safe journey to you.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with cookie, check the oil level and other fluid levels, just as you would before any trip, and drive her home. Congrates and have fun.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
That's quite a trip. I would bring just enough tools to change a CPS and I would take it to the nearest Wally and change the oil and filter unless the seller can assure you it is fresh proper oil. Are you buying it from a dealer or private party? Good oil is everything in these trucks, they won't run right without it, and it looks like you will be going well over 1k miles. Get the dyno variety and then change to synthetic based on where you live later.

I would call Dennis at ITP and have him get the spare CPS for you. Then just pack a simple socket set travel tool set in the carryon for the trip, or better yet, buy that at Wally while the oil is being changed. Gotta love that Wally eh?

Have a great trip.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That truck looks to be pretty well taken care of. My guess is that you won't have any problems other than not wanting to shut her down. They are addictive like that you know.

Have a great trip, congratulations on the new truck and welcome to the PSD club!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and Have a Safe Trip High Octane. Try to get previous owners maintenance schedule if you can . You probably knew that but thats a biggie for me. Tells a lot about the truck. Good Luck.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 PM
HighOctane

Thanks for all your input guys. Much appreciated. I will definately do all the things you guys suggest. BTW, the lift and tires that I have posted in my sig has been performed already, and I am eagerly awaiting pics of that. I will post more of my truck and trip when I get back. I am more excited to get this truck than I was to get my Harley!! This site is awesome!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 PM
HighOctane

Smile

Does anyone know what this switch by the 4x4 selector may be? I asked the salesman, he has no idea. This switch looks like there is an LED in it so I am wondering if someone performed the TC lock up mod? There are no extra lights, and the power bed cover has a switch of it's own. If it is the TC lock up mod, is there a way I can easily verify/tell this? That is the only thing I could think of besides it being a potentially ugly dummy switch without a current purpose. But I know who and where to ask! Sorry, I can't figure out how to enlarge this, but if you like I can email you a large copy of it on request. Thanks

http://www.fliptrack.com/photos/BB/iBBAL9LlVE6mtRJSg6eCA.jpg

http://www.fliptrack.com/photos/BB/iBBAL9LlVE6mtRJSg6eCA.jpg">