Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I broke it....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I broke it....HELP!!

I was out installing my 6637 conversion and when i went to test drive it, i felt a pop and lost all power steering and brakes. I limped it back home and lifted the hood. There is power steering fluid everywhere, however i could not find any loose hoses. Are there any seals on the ps pump that could bust and why would this affect my brakes? also, i want to attach pictures but it won't let me...ideas?

Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
silly question but did you make sure the reservoir cap is still on the power steering. Also if the fluid is everywhere it could have reached the rotors and that will make them slip

Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Originally Posted by stroke-of-luck00
I was out installing my 6637 conversion and when i went to test drive it, i felt a pop and lost all power steering and brakes. I limped it back home and lifted the hood. There is power steering fluid everywhere, however i could not find any loose hoses. Are there any seals on the ps pump that could bust and why would this affect my brakes? also, i want to attach pictures but it won't let me...ideas?

If you lost PS,then thats why you lost your power brakes.There are hoses near the steering box.Some times they thend to rub on the bolt on top of the steering box and rub right through the hose.
Other wise,refill your PS pump and start the truck and see were its coming from.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
These PSD's use a hydroboost braking system. The fluid is fed from the PS pump to the hydroboost manifold which then provides additional force to help apply the brakes and turn the wheels(kinda like an old vacuum assisted mastercylinder) the hydrboost manifold is the block looking thing under the master cylinder with a supply and return line going to the PS pump. sometimes these lines can seperate at the swivel connection or the crimp. Make sure after you replace the line to clean everything up under the hood with some degreaser so it doesn't attract dust and grime and doesn't drip to the rotors.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:17 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
i couldn't see any loose hoses from where i was. i'll have to remove the battery box and possibly the IC pipe to get a really good look at it. I did check the hydroboost manifold and the hoses are on securely. the bust looks like it might have come from the top of the steering box at the base of the shaft. are there any gaskets or seals in there that could be the culprit?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember, these pumps use ATF and not power steering fluid. If you drove it without the pump doing its job, you probably forced the ATF out of the vent on the lid. What does it do while idling and turning the wheels?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
wheels aren't moving at all...unless i literally hang on the steering wheel. the cap on the ps pump was still in place and locked down. by the looks of the spray, it came from the bottom of the pump or somewhere on the steering box...

Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 PM
zx250
Like I said, If the pumps not turning, the you will force the fluid out of the top cap. It sounds like you my have busted your pump. Get something to clean all the ATF off, like Simple Green. With a clean engine compartment, start truck and see if you can see where it is coming from for sure. I know that if it is coming out of the cap with engine running and fan turning, that stuff will blow everywhere. Check your pulley on the pump and see if that looks right. Maybe slipping on the shaft????

Old 08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
zx250
Originally Posted by stroke-of-luck00
....unless i literally hang on the steering wheel. the cap on the ps pump was still in place and locked down...
This will force the ATF out of the vent hole in the cap.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
stroke-of-luck00
Senior User
well i found the culprit...there is a hose with a metal nipple fitting at the bottom of the pump that popped out of a screw cap. i couldn't see it at first so i took out the battery box, battery, and IC pipe before i could get to it. I tapped it back into the hole but now here is my question...what is going to keep it from popping out again. do you think since i tapped it back in it's fixed?? again, thanks for all the feedback. i'd be lost and broke without this site!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Have you tried to start the truck and see if it is going to pop off? Make sure you refill the fluid first with ATF.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 PM
vpschex
Freshman User
It happen to me , replace the hose, take it to Ford parts and get a replacement, It will pop out again, then fill it with fluid, then turn the steering wheel back and forth and add fluid as it goes down. this should take all the air out of the system and you are ready to go.