What is a Modular engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 08:54 PM
christop43
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a modular engine? What is the difference between a modular engine and say a 351? Besides the obvious.

Old 01-12-2003, 10:10 PM
blownbronco
Senior User

Well, a modular engine is an engine that has a block that is used in more than one engine (4.6L , 5.4L)! They do this to minimize cost of having to produce different blocks also this causes a lack of quality!

Now, a 351W is not a modular engine because it's block is utilized only in the 351W. The 302 has a totally different block from the 351w!

HOPE THIS HELPS..

- Chris

Old 01-13-2003, 01:23 AM
christop43
Posting Guru

Thanks blownbronco

Old 01-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SBC = modular (283,302,327,350,383) Ford = marketing

Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster

The modular engine design is used to save money in production, true. Quality is subjective, they are known to have gasket problems but I've ran across traits similar to that in all engine series.

The true design of a mod motor is based on taking a system built around each cylinder, that includes all your oil galleries and water jacket. If you take these self contained units and sit them side by side you can build motors in any shape or configuration you want. The head and manifolds are their own separate animals for each engine.

Think modular offices or trailers. They are built the same way under the sheathing and drywall/paneling, but you can pretty much put them in any configuration you want, and dress the outsides and the insides any way you want, but they are cheap and easy to build. For the V-8 Ford changed the stroke with a crank and came up wthe a 4.6 and a 5.4. The 6.8 V-10 is designed the same way but doesn't share many components with the 8's, if at all. Maybe they'll build an inline to replace the 300... they have the technology, will they use it?

-Kerry

Old 01-14-2003, 02:45 PM
GAV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-06-2003, 01:51 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

Originally posted by blownbronco
Well, a modular engine is an engine that has a block that is used in more than one engine (4.6L , 5.4L)! They do this to minimize cost of having to produce different blocks also this causes a lack of quality!

Now, a 351W is not a modular engine because it's block is utilized only in the 351W. The 302 has a totally different block from the 351w!

HOPE THIS HELPS..

- Chris
I respectfully disagree. The 4.6 and 5.4 DO NOT share a block. The 5.4 has a taller deck, much like the 351 compared to the 302.

As Kerry stated, there are many internal and external interchangeable parts in the modular family and this DOES include V10/5.4 parts.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:49 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru

Per the Ford Workshop Manual:

"The concept of modularity allows engine designs to share commonization between concepts and engine hardware. The illustration (modular engine- typical) represents the basic cross sectional view of a modular V8 engine. The four modules are:
-intake manifold
-cylinder head module (RH)
-cylinder head module (LH)
-lower engine module "

Are you sure the raw block deck height is different? It has always looked to me like they were able to increase the displacement pretty much with a different crank and a different cam (greater lift). I know the piston and valve diameters are the same in the 4.6 and the 5.4.

Old 02-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User

Pretty sure the deck height on the 5.4 is taller than the 4.6. 4.16 stroke versus 3.54.

Old 02-09-2003, 08:15 AM
dro man
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a better question is why do they call them modular? very few parts interchange between the 4.6 windsor and 4.6 romeo and i dont beleive heads interchange between the windsor and 5.4. also, having worked for ford since before the introduction of these engines i still havent figured out exactly what the the term TRITON V8 refers to. no where have i found that term in a shop manual. i guess it a marketing term. someone please comment on this one.

Old 02-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Majisto
Senior User

Originally posted by dro man
a better question is why do they call them modular? very few parts interchange between the 4.6 windsor and 4.6 romeo and i dont beleive heads interchange between the windsor and 5.4. also, having worked for ford since before the introduction of these engines i still havent figured out exactly what the the term TRITON V8 refers to. no where have i found that term in a shop manual. i guess it a marketing term. someone please comment on this one.
Marketing is a powerful tool in the arsenal of a business. Dodge also does this with the Magnum series engines. To my knowledge, Magnum means nothing except sound cool. My Taurus' engine is called the V-6 "Vulcan" just because it sounds good.

Old 02-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Admittedly I do not know squat about no stinkin modular engines, but I do know that stroke length may or may not indicate a taller or shorter deck height... you can increase the stroke simply by longer rods on pistons with shorter skirts and wrist pin location higher...

Old 02-10-2003, 12:49 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru

That's what I thought!

Old 02-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User

Check this out.http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...IECPTech3.html [/URL]

Old 02-10-2003, 01:18 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

Originally posted by Fredvon4
Admittedly I do not know squat about no stinkin modular engines, but I do know that stroke length may or may not indicate a taller or shorter deck height... you can increase the stroke simply by longer rods on pistons with shorter skirts and wrist pin location higher...

You're 100% correct. But in the case of the "modular" motors the 5.4 and V10 share the same deck centerline and the 4.6 is about an 1" smaller. I'll try to find exact specs but it is one of the main reasons the 5.4 is not a production motor in a Mustang. It's taller and wider . The Cobra R had many mods to fit the 5.4 including but not limited to a taller hood.

Quick Reply: What is a Modular engine?