Bronco II Ford Bronco II

'86-'87 ONLY fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM
azjay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'86-'87 ONLY fuel filter

i discovered today, that the '86 and '87 ONLY, use the refillable fuel filter. can somebody explain how it works, with the return lines running through it? from what i see, the fuel tank pumps in to the filter housing and the return from the regulator pumps in to the filter housing. both sorces feed the outside of the filter element, which then feeds the frame mounted pump. how does the fuel return to the tank?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a new one on me, as far as the '86 and '87 being the only years with the canister filter on the frame rail. The only explanation I can come up with as far as the return to tank is the vacuum created by the in-tank booster pump. I don't know if that is the correct answer, though!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:51 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> i discovered today, that the '86 and '87 ONLY, use the refillable fuel filter.

I believe you mean -USUALLY- only the 86/87 actually have a filter in the cannister which all EFI vehicles have?

> can somebody explain how it works

I will give it a shot, I haven't thought about it much.

Top line rear of cannister is the low pressure pump, dumps into cannister outside.

Top front of cannister the line sucks from the middle of the filter for the high pressure pump.

Bottom line front is the return line, bypass of the pressure reg. which is low pressure, dumps into cannister. Which gets sucked up by high pressure pump.

Bottom line back is for when the low pressure pump fills the cannister, it automatically cycles back to the rear tank constantly (by the second line on the low pressure pump, one pushes fuel out, the other sucks it in) by being pushed there by fuel flow when there is no other place for the fuel to go.

This is why you have to cycle the pump 3-4 times after working on the system, to siphon gas through out the system and fill the lines and cannister. Otherwise, the high pressure pump will build up too much pressure from lack of fuel and shut itself down or overheat and kill itself.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
XTYPE
New User
I think this explains why I couldn't find the fuel filter on my 86 ranger 2.9! I saw a strange looking part next to the gas tank with lines going to it, but there was no information I could find about it. Does anyone know the service procedure for this type of filter? My Chilton manual says nothing about it.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:06 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
First, you have to bleed system pressure, either by the schrader valve on the fuel rail or by disconnecting the wiring on the inertia switch or other means of disabling the fuel pump(s) and starting up the vehicle and letting it run until it stalls (usually like all of 5 seconds). Then, using a strap wrench or other means, loosen the cannister bottom and then unbolt the fuel filter cannister from the fuel rail so you can completely remove the bottom portion from the top. You can then replace the filter and O-ring (make sure you use O-ring lubricant) and reassemble the cannister and reinstall it on the frame rail. I'm surprised there is no listing or info for this filter for your vehicle, but you can probably use the info for an '86 Bronco II and get the right part.

Now, if you're talking about an in-line filter with clamps and hose, you should bleed the pressure and then take the filter out and replace it. In either situation, you'll want to have your gas tank on a lower elevation than the filter if possible -- OR -- do it when your gas gauge is fairly close to "E", IMO. Hope this is the info you're looking for and hope it helps.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
XTYPE
New User
Thanks for the info, I found a listing at Autozone for the element style filter, so I will buy that and give myself another weekend project!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
You may also have the in-line on the high-pressure pump's outlet side... like I just finally found on my BII. Judging by it's location, I know I am going to have a heck of a time replacing it -- it's located on the driver's side frame rail near the crossmember that goes underneath the engine. It's fairly easy to find, once you know where to look and what you're looking for. I think I'm going to replace mine this weekend, since I have about 1/4 tank by gauge left (which is 'relative' on mine, sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less... but I'm not ready to drop the tank and check wiring and/or replace the in-tank float and/or pump unit yet!), and should be pretty close to empty when I should be ready with parts in hand to do it. I still don't understand why both aren't listed for your '86 Ranger 2.9L V-6... as there should be on Napa's, Autozone's, and Shuck's/Checker/Kragen's sites (at least I found them).

Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> I know I am going to have a heck of a time replacing it

Not that tough.

Jack it up on the driver's side. Jack stand near the outer part of the driver's TTB.

Waste oil pan under the tire and frame rail.

Slide floor jack under vehicle and resting against the transfer case skid plate just in case the vehicle falls.

Loosen the clamp on fuel filter entirely. Clamp stays in the bracket though. Think the clamp takes a 5/16 or 8 MM socket.

With the needle nose, arm over the front shaft, take out the top clip. If the clip is stuck, just break it and take out the two halves.

With the needle nose, take out the bottom clip.

Remove filter.

When putting the filter back, obvious the arrow on the filter faces forward.

Not so obvious is you have to put the clips back so the "arrow" or top part of the clip is at the top of the filter. If you push the clips through from the side holes, they might go in, but, will pop off once you start the truck.

When putting the clips in, push the fuel filter up while holding the upper line line, then put the top clip in, then pull the line down (don't pull on the filter), push the line onto the bottom of the filter all the way and clip it. Then a gentle test pull on the top and bottom lines. Then clamp it.

It is actually far quicker on the BII then any of the other Fords with this type of filter (example: the 4.0 Explorer with the cross member in the way) because you have a clear shot once the truck is jacked up.

It will take longer to jack up the vehicle on jackstands then change the filter.

I usually open the hood and put a (flor.) drop light near the dipstick shining down.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info, rebo... I was hoping it wasn't one of those clip-type clamp setups for the fuel lines, but OH well. I guess I'll buy one that comes with replacement clips (unless they all do?).

Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
You are welcome. I have never had one not come with clips. I use the new ones, then keep the old ones for spares.