Sponsored by: Moser

77 Crew Cab conversion to 4X4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Jeremy LeLacheur
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
77 Crew Cab conversion to 4X4?

I have a 77 F250 crew cab 2wd that I am planning on making into a daily driver. I saw one that a guy converted to a 4X4 by using a frame from a 79 extended cab long box and shortening the frame by 5 inches or so. I can't get ahold of the guy and it was a few years ago so has anyone else seen any info on this conversion? Thanks for your info guys!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM
mando jake
Senior User
I am doing something very similar to this. I am putting a crew cab on a reg cab long bed frame and cutting down my bed. Looks kinda like an Explorer Sport Trac. Heres a pic of what they look like in this configuration.

I dont recommend splicing the frame its a lot more work than cutting down bed, and they look tough with the shorty bed and shorter wheel base on the crew cab. I have some 4wd conversion parts listed in the classifieds that would be helpful if you just want to use your crew's frame. Keep us posted on this project. I love the crew cabs...no you dont get it, I looooove them. Jake

Old 07-15-2007, 12:39 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Converting your existing truck is easy to do, and you will not have to ruin two trucks to do it. If you are going to lift it a bit, you will have the clearance to clear the low 2wd x-member, and the mod will be simple. You just have to decide which suspension system you want. (coils or leafs)

Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Jeremy LeLacheur
Junior User
mando that is a really good idea! Any other tips or things to watch out for?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
mando jake
Senior User
Which option are you leaning towards? Converting your current 2wd frame? or Using a 4x4 reg cab or supercab frame and cutting down your bed?
I personally preferr the shorty bed look, but thats just me, I like to have something different.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well im glad to see another crew cab. There are several of us here in the middle of the same thing you are. I have a 79 F-350 longbed im doing the conversion on using the existing frame. I believe the gentleman you are talking about is Blueknightcrew. He has done a few of these and i think is in the process of doing another. I am a welder by trade and unless you are very very very skilled as a welder i would not advise you to cut and weld your frame. And im not alone in this opinion. There are ways to do it but all in all its not the most ideal way to convert. There are a few basic things you need to know before you start. I saw that you are going to use it as a daily driver. Will you be wheelin it at times? Do you want to go with coils or leaves? Do you have access to a local wrecking yard for parts? And i think the thing that matters the most: How deep are your pockets? This conversion can be done with factory Ford parts or you can go all out with aftermarket parts. It all depends on how invovled and how much money you want to invest. Just let us all know wat route you want to take and i know we can talk you threw it.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Jeremy LeLacheur
Junior User
Mando: I really like the look of the shorty bed so I am leaning that way.
Redneck: I do not think my welding is up to the task from your post. Thank you. To answer your questions. No wheeling(that is what the 70 bronco is for!) Not sure on suspension open to any thoughts of benefits either way. Yes on the wrecking yards. My choice was either buy a late model truck or dump that money into this project so my pockets are out alot either way. I just think this will be alot more fun! I will be using this truck for alot of hauling(boat, bronco, my dads 61 sunliner, etc) so I was wondering about an air ride suspension setup for alot of adjustability. I am leaning to a 390 because my dad is a die hard FE fan. He has a 427 that is going in his sunliner. I have also thought about a gearvendors overdrive unit and a supercharger more for the economical gaines than anything else(well mostly ). I am not afraid to hear peoples opinions about my ideas good or bad and what you said about the welding is very helpful. I would rather bounce ideas off people and learn what I will be happier with than spend a bunch of money and wish I woulda talked with somebody. So let the opinions fly! thanks guys!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
mando jake
Senior User
Well, Ive got some measurements and such if your interested. If I were you I'd be looking for a 3/4 ton 4x4 for my frame. If you are going to be towing like that It'd be more reliable than 1/2 ton. Jake

Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Jeremy LeLacheur
Junior User
yes very interested!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah i think the older crew would be more fun and look alot tougher than a newer truck. Plus itll be easier to work on. As for ideas. Coils ride and flex alot better. But if your not wheelin it flex really isnt an important fator. The only prob with coils is that factory radius arms are to short for your frame. Ive found that out rather quickly with my truck. If you want coils i suggest www.cageoffroad.com for there extended radius arms. Then you can use a 73-79 half ton front and just bolt on 8 lug outers. All you have to change is from the spindle out. IF you want to use leafs its not that hard at all. First to get an idea of wat you have ive got a question for ya. Does your front frame rails have a bracket rivited to them then the bumper attached to it? Or does your bumper bolt directly to the frame? This is key in deciding which mounts to go with. All in all i guess its a choice of yours.It takes awhile to describe both ways. If you make a choice i can explain better. As for the overdrive and all that im clueless. Search this forum and look up the other crew conversion. There have been a few dicussed lately.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM
mando jake
Senior User
I was going to get mine done and then post a gallery with accurate and proven measurements and procedures, but for now I'll tell you what Ive learned.
Reg cab long bed frame is going to give you about 5" "flat" between back of cab and front of wheel well.

Reg cab rear mounts are on a crossmember between frame rails, crew cab rear mounts are on outside of rails and look nearly identical to the front mounts.
Center to center measurements of front to rear crew cab mounts is 81", cab extends 9" past rear mount center.
On a reg cab long bed frame the crew cab rear mounts will overlap the front perch for the rear spring. For mine I'm making a custom rear mount out of 1/2" plate that will bolt on without interfering with the perch (will be available to anyone who is interested in this conversion).
Spring perch interference will not be an issue with air bags, but the bags will riquire 4-link, and on board air ("alot of adjustability").
Due to the frame curvature (upward toward the back), you may not be able to mount the rear mounts at the correct height. To correct this you could simply use 1-2" body lift at all body mounts except the rear cab, or vice versa, depending on the actual situation.
My custom rear mounts will eliminate the guesswork with a locating tab that will lay on the top of the frame rail much like the front mounts.
Another issue you may run into is gas tanks. If you have a rear tank only you should be fine. If you have any other tank setup, you may have to convert to rear tank or relocate your filler neck to somewhere else (in bed, in fenderwell, or my favorite if you have dual tanks--put your rear filler neck behind licence plate and run your front tanks neck to the original rear tank neck position--like James Bond would've done). I'm not even considering an in-cab tank for mine, just seems too dangerous, and I've heard about fumes and such, I got three kids with no brain damage--I'd like to keep it that way.
Most crews were automatic transmission, if you plan to use a manual transmission there are many threads for reg cab auto to manual conversions that should suffice. Original harness should also work just as good in the crew as the original reg cab, which isnt saying much for some of these ol' hacked on trucks.

Now this is all assuming that you use a 73-79 non-highboy frame. Anything else Im unsure about similarities. I have heard that Ford used the same frame for some number of years, but I dont know that personally. I do know that I would definitely want at least a 3/4 ton with a straight front axle.
If you have any ?'s let me know. Jake

Last edited by mando jake; 07-17-2007 at 12:03 PM.