1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

problems changing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 AM
f_balla_69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems changing clutch

ok i got all the tranny and everything out and now im stuck, the bearing in the rear of the crank is stuck, well the race, i have the new one to go in but i cant get the race of the old bearing out, and ive busted the bearing guts out to try and help but cant get anything, i know your suppose to have a special tool but the book also says you can pack it full of grease and put a metal shaft that fits snug in between the bearing and hammer it and the grease will force the bearing and race out, that doesnt work, someone please help

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had one on a chevy luv, that I just kind of drilled and chiseled on until it broke and came out. Not the best way, but effective none the less. The proper pilot bearing removal tool would make quick work of it though.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried to find a parts store that has a loan-a-tool program? Around here both AutoZone and Advance Auto have them. You might find they have a pilot bearing tool.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
f_balla_69
Junior User
ok, well the thing is i dont have a way into town untill my truck gets done, or my parents or brother get home, which is gonna be awhile. i really need to get this done today but i dont think its gonna happen, this is the only thing holding me back or i would have had most of it back together last night, thanks so far for the help though im going to go back to beating the crap out of it with a hammer and chisle, i wish i had an air hammer

Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 139 Posts
Do you have a dremel tool? If so, try using a smal stone to grind a grove down one side. Bearing races are harder than Chinese arithmetic so chiselling is going to be slow. Be sure to wear good eye protection if you are hitting that thing with a cold chisel. The last one I did was a bushing and the grease trick worked great.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Kylet8020
Senior User
auto zones tool works as well as **** on a bull

Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have gotten races out by using a 2-jaw puller attachment on my slide hammer... just a thought.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 AM
f_balla_69
Junior User
well, i got the tool from advanced, cost me 30 bucks, it didnt work, it broke and i hardly tightened it up, bs, i agree with kylet, anyway i ended up drilling it out, i tried the dremel tool idea but couldnt find the bit, so i drilled it and then use a hammer and a makeshift chisle ( lug wrench with the lug part cut off ) and broke it out within 3 hits, worked a heck of alot better than anything else i tried, anyway thats out and new bearing is in, the clutch is in also, now i forgot which way the throwout bearing goes, any help with that? thanks so far for the advise

Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 PM
f_balla_69
Junior User
yea i found that on a different website, i googled it and found it and it showed the pic the same way , now im having trouble getting it in the truck, the tranny is so dang heavy, me my brother and 2 friends were underneath it and 3 of us lifting and 1 on the jack and it is way to heavy for us, any help on this would be very helpful, and i also need it to line up right or ill end up messing up the clutch

Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,377 Posts
You should be able to get it in there with a floor jack on a hard floor or on a piece of plywood. Use your friends to hold it on top of the floor jack, and roll it forward. You still will have to man handle it a little bit, since the tranny needs to be perfectly lined up to go in, but at least the jack will hold some of it. I am assuming you had an alignment tool in the clutch kit?

Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 PM
f_balla_69
Junior User
yea i got the alignment tool, the problem with the whole solid floor deal is i dont have room in the garage and its on gravel in the driveway, i now have a tranny jack under it and got the shifter up in the floorboard which was a big problem. now it needs to go forward and up but its hitting the clutch fingers (pressure plate prong things) i had an idea to get 4 friends and my self and just try to lift it without the jack up in there from where it is but i dont think itll work, also my brother told me to jack up the back of the truck and it may get the angle a bit better to where we can get it, the problem with that though is that its gonna take a couple people anyway to get it in and then hurry and get the crossmember back under it and the bellhousing bolts in or started, its being a pain in the butt and taking way to much time, it shouldnt take a week to put a clutch in, ive never had it take that long, its just that this particular tranny is cast iron which sucks

Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might get some one in the cab with a strap wrapped around the tranny through the floor to help support while you and a friend work to line it up. Thats how my friend and I installed my 5spd. Only took about 20 minutes of cursing, grunting, screaming and kicking, but it's in.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:12 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always pull the interior access plate, it makes it so much eaisier. Sycostang67 is right on that a buddy in the cab with a strap also really helps. It is easier to guide it from the top with the jack on the bottom supporting most of the weight.

Good luck, David