1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint booth suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
paint booth suggestions

ok... I'm finally getting to the point where I don't think my previously planned "paint booth that I can borrow" isn't going to materialize. I mean, it's been a year already...

SO.... I'm looking for other solutions of how to paint my frame without doing it out of doors where it will attract all the crap in the world... I don't have garage space to put up curtains or build a booth... I mean really, look at my garage on my home page... the frame on the rotisserie is nearly 20 feet long and nearly 6 feet wide... so I need a space a minimum of 10x30... 20 x 40 would be better... with clean air and ventilation and filtering would be nice...

Any suggestions on how to do this so it doesn't cost as much as having a pro shop do it ??? Or does anyone in reasonable driving distance of B'ham Al have a booth for rent ??? I'll even sweep it out when we're done ??? anybody ???

thanks
later
John

Last edited by jniolon; 06-15-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Larry Lyles had an article in Auto Restorer about how he used pvc pipe for a frame and clear plastic for the floor, ceiling, and walls, with one wall made of plywood, holding the fan and doubling as a shelf for the paint, and stuff.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:46 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I wonder if you could modify one of those coverall tarp garage buildings?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sprayed my frame and it is 172 inch wheelbase on plastic sheeting 1/4 inch thick and 4 x 6 . I used about 8 or 9 of these for flooring--clean up nice/light/reusable/cheap---then I used a canopy from tarpco that was just a great bug poop stopper. The exhaust isn't needed with my turbine hvlp---I turned frame over and did 1 side a day,and then texture coated it--like medical equipment!
Then I used it again yesterday for painting the F600 body. I think the wife wants it for a garden party later next month-hahaha!!!!!----John you have an awesome shop--you will think of something cool!!! Bill

Old 06-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been threads on the hotrodders site about using lots of different "portable car tents" (whatever they are called) and dropping plastic sheeting down to the ground. Harbour freight has some that are pretty cheap.

If you want to go permanent, get one of those metal carports that sell for like $500 and drop the plastic sheets around it.

I have seen some guys put plastic on the ground for painting, but if you have a concrete driveway that would work.

On another note: You might check with a local tech school and see if they have a booth. Get the students to spray the frame for you. I bet it just costs the materials. They need experience.

One of the schools I work for has collision repair/painting courses.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
I was thinking when I'm ready to spray my entire truck I will go to the hardware shop buy a bunch of copper tubing and 90 degree elbows, eye hooks and a couple rolls of plastic. Install plastic on the copper tubing frame so it can be rolled up out of the way in sections as needed hang the frame from eye hooks so the temporary booth will be centred to allow you the most space possible to do your work. Use carpenters tuck tape to seal up the sections of plastic as well as seal plastic to the floor.

Due to limited space I was planning on renting an air exchanger from a local tool rental agency. Turns out they also rent the HVLP compressors and spray guns.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:13 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
bump up

someone on another forum mentioned that Car Craft mag did an article on homemade paint booth.... bout 4 years ago ??? anyone remember that or have the mag back that far that might research it....

come on guys ??? I've done it for you..

later
john

Old 06-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Originally Posted by jniolon
......come on guys ??? I've done it for you..

later
john
You certainly have, John. And if I had a good idea, I would certainly share it.

I'm just watching this thread hoping that the cool plan comes thru for both of us. I have to paint my whole truck this year.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:01 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just watching this thread hoping that the cool plan comes thru for both of us. I have to paint my whole truck this year.[/QUOTE]

Randy, I just met a long time car buff 2 weeks ago at a local cruise, and he had just had his wife's 66 chevelle painted by a local shop he had just found out about. $3500 including some body work. I thought that was very reasonable and I,m going to get a business card from him for future reference, hopefully this week. If your interested let me know.

The paint job looked great to me although he said "it was not show quality".

Old 06-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,381 Likes on 1,137 Posts
In our city there is a paint/body shop that rents their paint booth quite reasonable. It maybe worth a shot to phone around if nothing else pans out.
I`ve been using Zero Rust to paint my frames and am quite happy with it, fast tack free drying times and only a painter`s canister mask when having adequate ventilation.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Most shops won't rent the booths any more. Too many liabilities (lawsuits) and insurance problems. You can try, but it is very unlikely anymore.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kusto
I was thinking when I'm ready to spray my entire truck I will go to the hardware shop buy a bunch of copper tubing and 90 degree elbows, eye hooks and a couple rolls of plastic. Install plastic on the copper tubing frame so it can be rolled up out of the way in sections as needed hang the frame from eye hooks so the temporary booth will be centred to allow you the most space possible to do your work. Use carpenters tuck tape to seal up the sections of plastic as well as seal plastic to the floor.

Due to limited space I was planning on renting an air exchanger from a local tool rental agency. Turns out they also rent the HVLP compressors and spray guns.
Have you priced copper tubing lately? Much more cost effective to buy one of the portable carports.
Here's an idea, rent a party tent, just don't tell them you're going to be painting inside it. Line the floors and walls with cheap plastic tarps.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,381 Likes on 1,137 Posts
I found this idea in mt54/Mike Williams`s galleries https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=84680&width=2

Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Minger
Junior User
I found myself stepping off one of those "PODS" where they drop them off for people moving or using them as temp storage. They have translucent tops. I wonder if they would notice it coming back primer grey.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
I made a frame of PVC pipe and layed clear plastic sheets over it. If I can find a painter in this area that doesn't want to retire on what he is getting for painting my truck (prices were $8500 to $10,000, about 4000 TO $5000 too high) thats the way for me to go next time.

I think what made me send them packing all I want is a paint job that would equal to a current production vehicle.

Quick Reply: paint booth suggestions