1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint booth suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:52 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still going back and forth on my paint job, guys. I'm not a rich girl and doing the job myself is really what I want to do. I know it's not popular with most of you but a flat black paint job is all I'm looking for.

I've read threads from all over from spray can to do it yourself. I have the space to paint but just not the large funds.

Do any of you know of a place that will just do a flat black paint job?

Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
Have you priced copper tubing lately? Much more cost effective to buy one of the portable carports.
Here's an idea, rent a party tent, just don't tell them you're going to be painting inside it. Line the floors and walls with cheap plastic tarps.
No I havent priced the copper tubing out yet but that is a very good point. There are other options such as small pvc pipe or similar small tubing. I also have access to an assortment of used stainless tubing that would be free of charge would just need to stick it together some how.

The party tent sound like a good option. If you did get paint on the walls just tell them that the clown exploded....sorry.

Fomoco-I had one of these instant garages and gave it away last year before I knew I would be bitten by the bug.

gamesandcars-Try calling your locat tool rental companies to see if they rent the tools you will need. I called one here on a long shot and they had two automotive paint kits. Included HVLP compressor, hose, air dryer, gun and nozzels for primer and paint. These units rent for $50/day and if you are prepared you could paint yourself for a very reasonable price. I already puchased guns but I think I will return them and use that money to cover the rental and primer costs.

Last edited by Kusto; 06-18-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Here's what I do, hokey as it may be. I live on 5 acres, closest neighbor 100 yards away. Early mornings, calm north wind blowing thru the south facing garage for ventilation. I paint one part at a time without a booth, near the open bay door. Hvlp overspray is minimal, you can't smell it at the property line, and the clean garage doesn't put any dirt on the parts. I've done lots of priming so far, haven't top coated yet. When I do top coat, I'll still spray one part at a time, then assemble. Really, the only big parts we have are the cab and box, the rest of it is fairly small. If your neighbors are too close, I'd buy one of those portable garages, and still do small batches.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Painting

I used POR-15 for the last frame I painted. Using a brush, it flowed smooth. You don't need a top coat if it not in direct sunlight like a t-roadster, etc. I applied two coats in the garage, no problems with ventilation. The last body top coat painted I went to the local lumber-yard a bought several of those blue tarps (cheap) . Then made a 2 X4 frame hung from the ceiling with wire. Stapled the tarps to the wood, used a box fan in the back facing the door, warned the neighbor downwind,on saturday AM, shot the car. Not perfect but came out ok.

Cheap paint job, go Maaco or like shop, maybe they will do flat black.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovegamesandcars
I'm still going back and forth on my paint job, guys. I'm not a rich girl and doing the job myself is really what I want to do. I know it's not popular with most of you but a flat black paint job is all I'm looking for. Do any of you know of a place that will just do a flat black paint job?
I have used Zero Rust for painting only my frames so far and really like how easy it goes on with only a cheap $50 spray gun. It covers real well and goes on nicely. In good ventilation and a canister mask fumes aren`t problem for me....cough, cough...
Zero Rust in black it looks almost like a semi gloss, not flat black but not real shiny. I think it would look ok for a rat rod black.
It costs about $100 + change for a gallon and was enough to do the complete frame, springs and axles.
If taking a vehicle for a paint job remember a big part of the cost is the prep so if you do it yourself it can save a lot of $$$.

Last edited by Fomoko1; 06-19-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:31 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The painter I am using recently painted my hood on my F100. He did such an outstanding job that I'm letting him do my 66 Mustang. He's doing a complete color change (original color from the factory), all body work (and there is quite a bit) and if you notice, he's painting it without a booth, without plastic. He does use a lot of old bedsheets/ rags, and his paint jobs are flawless. He does use a good quality paint gun, but his environment is anything but dust free. He's done a few expensive streetrods that came out nice. Might be a thought for you guys looking to build a booth or make something simple will work too. Doesn't appear to take much to lay down paint. BTW- he's charging me 3K for the whole paint.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...154704.520.390

Last edited by imlowr2; 06-19-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
John, this might be the article your looking for....
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_04...nt/index3.html

Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 AM
dffay
Elder User
(Ilovegames and cars)

On the flat black thing, you could do the free labor thing at a paint shop--taping cars, paint stripping, clean-up, etc for a paint job that they would do or teach you to do. It might take a month ot two of weekends and evenings to have a fair trade of time and money but it could be done. And, I think many of the best looks out there for the hot rod or shop trucks is satin black and not truly flat black.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
John, I like the pvc idea. I would make it out of 2" with plastic sheeting. ($300) Then when not being used for a paint booth, I would cover the top in your favorite color of canvas so that the grand kids could use it as a playhouse or the Mrs could use it for intertaining: BBQs, pool parties, etc. Of course, if you don't have a pool, that would be the next phase of the plan.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by imlowr2
John, this might be the article your looking for....
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_04...nt/index3.html
Ed,
that's a pretty good article on the whole process, but leaves a lot to desire in booth construction technique.... I'm working on a drawing now from a picture someone on another forum sent me... rebar, pvc and plastic... then I work up the cost of same... I'll post the pic soon..

thanks for the link
John

Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
I found this idea in mt54/Mike Williams`s galleries https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=84680&width=2
The whole thing was less than $200 at sams club all four sides, 10X20. A fan and your set.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Is that all four sides? That is a pretty good price!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brian_B
Is that all four sides? That is a pretty good price!
Everything but the floor, but I just happen to have a concrete pad to set it up on.
I use it for a blast booth, paint booth and a party tent. it use to house my boat in the winter.(Had to watch the snow load) Spray her down with the hose, let it dry, and your go to go.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Take a look at Northern Tool, under tarps and covers they have a number of sizes of the temp shelters by Shelter Logic up to 18x30' with or without walls! They are very inexpensive starting at 89.00 for 10x20 without walls. A roll of housewrap from your local DIY store will take care of the walls and floor. The housewrap is better than poly, translucent (neighbors don't need to see what you are doing) no static charge, stronger (strong enough to drive on) and windproof but still breathes.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
That is awesome. That is like what I meantioned above, but it has walls.

Quick Reply: paint booth suggestions