General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Help!! I'm trapped in a Doubleday book club scam!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:21 AM
mymechanic'sanidiot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that Columbia House is doing this too. They're only making themselves look bad.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM
rhw
More Turbo
It is a little to late for the polite one... I started my last correspondence to the with "attention: A***oles" and explained how I wasn't going to give a single dime to "you thieving bunch of morons". - I was miffed. Anyway...it seemed to get their attention, I got an apology letter saying they would remove me immediately from any future mailings, remove me as a member and send me a prepaid postage sticker to return their books. You can catch more flies with honey, but sometimes you have to storm the gates and bash the Hun-ies.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:29 PM
wrobo23
Elder User
This reminds me of whenever our supplier for toner calls my place of business to "notify us of a price increase". I mistakingly told them I was in charge of order placing (which, I am) and now they specifically ask for me. Twice now they have called to tell me that the toner for our copy machine has risen from something like $85 to the now $96. I thank then and right before I hang up they mention that they will have two sent at the discounted price. The first time I didn't catch it and hung up and we had two ups'd within the week. Now when they call I let them go through the talk and simply tell them not to send anything but thanks for the 5 minute talk.

Not a real "scam" but ya gotta be careful with what these people try and pull with ya. Cell phone bill I changed part of my plan and they wanted to give me complimentary internet access for a month. VEEEEEEEEEEEERY quickly he told me in a low voice that it'd cost $20/mo after that. lol... I told him not to offer me anything and that if they want to lose my very loyal business that they better not pull that carp again. That was over 2 yrs ago, and never had a problem since.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
RHW

I would keep the books and then send them a nice note thanking them for the unexpected gift.. Make sure you state that you did not order or authorise these items.. Then close with if you receive anymore packages from them you will concider them gifts as well..

I am sure they will go away real quick..