General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Help!! I'm trapped in a Doubleday book club scam!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:30 AM
rhw
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! I'm trapped in a Doubleday book club scam!

I was going through my emails the other day and I got one from Doubleday books thanking me for joining and my two books are on their way. Great. Except that I never heard of Double day books and I never ordered anything. I sent them an email explaining this and I got back a form letter telling me of their exciting new promotions. I received their books today on my porch, I'm guessing ups, so I'm probably going to have to pay to send them back. I wrote another email to their customer support, this one more um... "direct"- I explained why I think they are a bunch of drooling jackals. I researched them on the Internet and found many complaints similar to mine and in all of these cases Doubleday turned the people over to collections and ruined their credit.

Sorry so long, but any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Do not open the package-
write refused on the front of it, and drop off at post office/ups/fedex/ whoever dropped it off.
If you did not order it, then you don't owe them anything.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:32 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The last time I heard, here in Ca., if you receive a package that you did not order, you have the option to keep it without payment or penalty.

Now that was awhile ago, so it may not apply anymore.

Then again, it may.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:58 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Don't pay for the books!!!!!
If you did not order them they can't do anything.
send them back like said above or keep them,,,,,there loss!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
If you did not order it, send it back. You could always write on the box that it is the wrong address.

Then if they press the issue, ask for a copy of your enrolment form with your signature. If they do send you to collections, make sure you contact the three firms and state the problem and they will put a hold on your report.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 825 Likes on 629 Posts
Did they call you on the phone and ask if you wanted to participate in a "survey" or something like that?
I was on vacation for a week a couple of years ago and a company called and tried to get something set up and the man that works for me said yes to something.
Well, they took that as a "yes" from ME even though Mark was not the owner of the business and tried to take me to collections.
I went through repeated attempts from them to collect on thier invoice and I had to keep repeatedly reminding them that they were not in possession of any signatures from me or voice recordings with my voice stating authorization to pay. They forgot to ask if Mark was the one who was in charge of making those sort of decisions and just ran with it.
They finally gave up and it was only over $175.00. I know that they spent more than that trying to collect.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 AM
rhw
More Turbo
" They finally gave up and it was only over $175.00. I know that they spent more than that trying to collect. "

That's halarious! I never talked on the phone or email to them and all my kids deny it. The books they said I ordered are a cook book and some life storie of an Afganistan refugee.( So the description in their email claimed - I did not open the box)

Old 06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
same thing happened recently to my mom.

some company sent some free lotion samples in the mail to her, then a couple of weeks later, sent a bill for 25$ for the "free" lotion.

she called the post office and they said it is illegal to do so and anything that got sent like that she can keep, they said they can not send stuff for you then want you to pay for shipping back or then send you a bill for it when you did not ask.

she turned them in though, don't know what happened after but she never heard from the lotion company.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't believe all the scams going on in the world today. That's why I don't even answer my phone 90% of the time.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
I can't believe all the scams going on in the world today. That's why I don't even answer my phone 90% of the time.
Me To, Got to love Caller ID

Old 06-02-2007, 01:39 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by bucks77ford
That's why I have a speaker phone answering machine combo so I can screen all of my calls.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:47 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You send something I didn't order, I own it.
Ruin my credit? If that will stop the endless stream of credit card offers I will be grateful.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:54 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

It would be nice if some company sent me a Carrera GT, that I didn't order.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
I got a call the other day at work about complimentary stuff i won in a sweepstakes and she tried to say i had to pay for stuff and then she says "with your permission I'd like to place this order" and I was like what order is there if its complimentary and she goes "Too late I already submitted the bill" so I said "F*** you I'm not paying for sh**". She hung up on me LOL. Stupid scammers.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:56 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 156 Likes on 94 Posts
The best thing is to not open it, mark refused, and send it back.

You probably do have the right to keep the books, but they might hassle you.

I would also send them a note ( polite). In the note I would mention that I was presenting this information to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General. This has done wonders for me.

I'm a little surprised that it's Doubleday. They are an old an legitimate company.

ford2go

Quick Reply: Help!! I'm trapped in a Doubleday book club scam!