Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rebuilt tranny comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Rebuilt tranny comparison?

Im mechanically inclined to a point that I can tear into anything and figure out how it works. I know that both of these companies have proprietary parts. Is it possible to purchase enouph parts seperatly from either company to build a stout everyday driver with a now and then rip up the honda at the light? Im off the road so I dont need the pull characteristics but my mind wont let go of pulling a heavy load vs launching a heavy truck is close? to the same thing. Hmmm. I dont know Brian well enouph to call and waste his precious time so I thought I would post it. Here are the links im comparing.
http://www.atsdiesel.com/atswebsite/...nsmissions.asp

and

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

And I need a site to order a rebuild kit for my 7.3. I always shop prices at 3 places before anything. The engine was a late 99 build as the truck is a 00. Ive read that I have a few better things like rods and ?

Kwik and Cookie as well as 7.3 and im drawing a blank in Mo would greatly appreciate input.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In my experience Brian and Cale are always happy share their precious time, but you have to call early before they get all tied up under a truck.

The only rebuild kit I've seen recently is here- http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...&subcat1=85604

Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Sorry, I don't do automatics.
Even at work, I don't. I send them out.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:04 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A member on this forum went to www.txchange.com, bought all the new fibers and steels for his transmisison, all the necesary seals and a "nice" triple disc TC, all for about $1100, which is 1/4 of the price of a BTS transmission. Check that out and see if you like it. The member im not sure exactly of his name, but i believe it is "cangim" ?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing to an automatic they are easier to rebuild than say a np435 and a lot easier than a ZF5 and the 4R100 is about one of the easiest there is. Troy I have seen you work and you can do this without a problem. but I do recommend buying a manual and/or cd on the trans it will give you all the specs etc. As for kits, call oregon performance transmission, they sell on evilbay, there is another one on there too that sells them. Personally I like to see a kit with new frictions and steels so make sure you find one with both. My personal preference is alto clutches and Kolene steels you also want one with all the seals but don't worry about all the bushings the only ones I worry about 95% of the time are the front pump, and output shaft bushings most of the time the rest are just fine, but do inspect them of coarse and if you see any with wear then replace them. Napa should be able to order any bushing you need.
As far as the "proprietary" parts, that is utter nonsense. They aren't putting any special parts into them, aren't ordering TC to spec, and aren't doing anything like that. They use good parts, and yes do a few tricks to improve lubrication, like drilling some extra holes in the drive hubs etc. I recently was asked to look at a trans by the local transmission shop (he likes GM stuff and knew I worked on ford trannies) I am 99% sure it was one of Brians, it was cooked by no fault of Brian except the problem was the cooler bypass stuck, the guy didn't have a gauge was pulling a 5ver and just seriously overheated it, and took out a couple clutches. Reason I think it was Brians was some of the things that I saw were stuff listed that he uses like the 6.0 cooler, the PI convertor etc (the owner didn't know he bought the truck used and was told it had a rebuilt modified trans when he bought it) What I saw was a well put together trans, with a few tricks we use on racing transmissions to make them live over 600hp levels. the 4R100 in stock form is a lot stronger transmission than it's given credit for, the weak point is and always has been the TC, which slips and causes massive heat build up which tears up the transmission. The gas versions do use lighter duty planetary sets but the Diesel version already has the good planetary gears installed. Get a GOOD TC, and a good rebuild kit (make sure it is specified for the diesel as the gas uses one less friction and steel in two of the clutches), just make sure everything is clean, as dirt can kill an auto faster than anything. Personally I would suggest replacing the shift solenoid pack too, I know Brian does and I am pretty sure most others do also that have a good rep. You might also replace the pump if you have had it hot or a lot of friction material in the pan. Take your time, make sure it's clean, double check your clearances and tolerances, replace any part that leaves any question in your mind, and use good parts and with the good TC that trans will hold 500+hp PSD without a problem.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:47 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Monsta',

Given what you saw with this trans, would YOU recommend removing the bypass tube?

I'm going to remove mine, as my truck never sees REAL cold weather and has an in-line filter, but a few have quoted Brain as recommending against it. John Wood, on the other hand, removes them. Of course, most of his trannys are built for Southwest (warm) customers.

Pop

Old 05-26-2007, 01:17 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pop, I live in the midwest and when I rebuild mine I will be removing it if that is enough of an answer for you.

Personally, the 4R100 is a modified C6 and they never put them on C6 trans and never had a problem, but new doesn't always mean improved.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:34 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the 4r100 was an improved e4od?

Ok what about some of the "proprietary parts" like the tail shaft and drum? o what was that made from billet on brians website? How about bigger clutches that I read?

Old 05-29-2007, 01:55 AM
Mach1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you guys do a little digging, you can find some of the special 'not publisizied' hidden details to the trans build..Some of the things included are, forged baskets(drums, hubs), cryo parts, billet pinion gears..

These are hidden, the standard mods are the intermediate shaft support, billet input shafts, billet output shafts, Tc, pump mods, value body mods.

And Yes, the fluid by-pass circuit, has been dropped years ago...

The transmissions offered are specially built transmissions, NOThing like a stocker.

Did I mention case supports as well?