1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Just got a 01 Ranger...no book, need info on fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Jenners
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a 01 Ranger...no book, need info on fuel tank.

OK, I just got a 2001 Ranger, 4 cylinder 2.5 liter 5 speed. Regular cab and regular wheelbase, 55k miles. Pretty much all I know about it because the danged thing didn't come with a manual (can I order one somewhere?).

Anyways, it's in great shape but I'm having a hard time figuring the mileage on it...mainly because I don't know how big the fuel tank is and I think there might be a five-gallon safety when it looks like it should be running out. Or it could be I am used to my diesel, which meant it when the needle approached E.

So, two things: I can't seem to find a clear answer on the tank size using good ole Google, so I have come here. It looks like it's a 17 gallon tank? However, second thing, it looked danged low today when I filled up, less than an eighth of a tank, but it popped around 12 gallons and I spooned in another half-gallon...would it be my gauge or am I missing something? Math isn't my best subject, but I don't really want to drive it completely out just to test a theory.

TIA!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 04-25-2007, 09:50 PM
MazdaRangerGuy
Elder User
You don't need to know the tank size to calculate mileage.

Just fill it up... then later fill it up again.

Divide how many miles you drove by how much gas it took to fill it up...

Let's say you drove 200 miles... and it took 10.0 gallons to fill it up again.

200/10 = 20MPG

Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 PM
fflintstone
Elder User
She's at the very least got the 17 gal tank. You'll get used to how your guage reads the tank. BTW it's not a good idea to run the tank so low, so the guage may be doing yourself a favour. It might be 20 gallon, but I seriously doubt it. Not with the 2.3. Figuring your mpg's is as easy as MazdaRangerguy has stated.

Good luck and yave fun

Fred

Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
My 04 has a 19.5 gallon tank...thats not to say yours is but it should be close.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Jenners
Junior User
It's actually the 2.5 litre. It's a fun little truck, I super like it. SO much different than my '95 350!

Yeah I can get the mileage without knowing...but I like to know. Esp after filling for the first time today all the way and only getting 12.5 in when I was expecting to get in...15? Threw me.

Thanks for the link!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:35 AM
fflintstone
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jenners
It's actually the 2.5 litre. It's a fun little truck, I super like it. SO much different than my '95 350!

Yeah I can get the mileage without knowing...but I like to know. Esp after filling for the first time today all the way and only getting 12.5 in when I was expecting to get in...15? Threw me.

Thanks for the link!
Sounds like you'll be doing some maintenance on her with that kind of mileage. You should be getting a heck of a lot better than that!!!! Lots of threads on things to check, change or clean, besides checking it for trouble codes.

Maybe that's why the fella sold her. Now you can take that little gem and bring her up to par. Get back to us with what you do or find.

Fred

Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Jenners
Junior User
Whoops, that's what I get for replying at 2am! I meant how many gallons I put in the tank, not what the engine took out. Will know more after I run this tank out down a bit and run the numbers. But right now it looks like I'm getting about 31. Soooo much better than the 14 my 350 gets!