Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Ignition Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 PM
whazzup
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up a black module with the number you gave me off yours. Apparently it has been superceded numerous times. The numbers I have on the actual module are: 5U2J-12A297-D. I plan on installing this tomorrow morning so I am hoping it works.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 PM
whazzup
New User
I am pleased to say the light has not come on. I find it truly amazing how many people at Ford and auto part stores do not know about the black module. Anyhow, I will be testing it this weekend on a short road trip so I'll know for sure.
sub-ford, thanks for all your help and thanks to this forum.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 PM
whazzup
New User
Bad news. The light came back on after about 60 miles. I will re-scan tomorrow morning to see what code comes up. Hopefully its a different one. Here we go again.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM
nighttrainrider
New User
The aftermarket ICM's will NOT work on 96 5.8 engines, and i was told 97 5.8's have a CPS (crank positioning sensor) they won't recognize the CPS . ONLY the BLACK ICM from FORD will work! I even tried a GRAY test module from FORD that they use in their shop and it didn't work. I found a BLACK motorcraft module (f1sf-12a297-c1a) put it on and the codes have NEVER come back and it PASSED NJ motor vehicle INSPECTION, which it failed for codes P1351-P1359 about 3 weeks ago, that's how long it took me to find a BLACK ICM.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 PM
nighttrainrider
New User
The only other part i EVER replaced was the Hall sensor in the distributor, but that was because it would start sometimes and than it wouldn't, i 1st put on the gray aftermarket module and thought that fixed the problem, but about 2 weeks later it wouldn't start again so i replaced the hall sensor and never had another problem, but the engine light came on and never went out, truck ran fine so i didn't care,until I went to NJ inspection and failed for the engine light being on and truck throwing codes P1351 P1359. Replaced the GREY box with a BLACK one and PASSED INSPECTION TODAY!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Jamestat2
Freshman User
Digging up an old thread here!

I have a 1996 F-350 SRW witch originally had a 5.8l engine in it but 2 years ago I swapped in a 5.8 from a wrecked '89 f-250. I know! Crazy right! Well the truck is a Texas truck with over 200k but in immaculate shape except the engine was REALLY tired. A friend had this 5.8 from a wrecked '89 in his barn with only 40k on it so I bought it for $450 and swapped it in.

While it was on the stand I pulled the engine wiring harness from the old engine and started plugging it in and it all fit (no extra plugs or nothing) until I got to the distributor!

The plugs where different because the '89 has the ICM mounted to the side of the dizzy and the '96 doesn't! Well the '96 dizzy won't fit the '89 engine either. The '89 dizzy is fatter at the base where it goes into the block and the oil pump shaft wouldn't fit either. So!! My machinist friend and I modded the '89 dizzy to accept the '96 PIP. It was very easy to do really! OK! So now I have the '96 plug coming from the '89 dizzy and all is well! I installed the engine and TA-DA! everything is good! That was 2 years ago!

So; this winter my truck starts acting up. Not wanting to stay running in the morning (-2 to -6 temps),then it starts getting sluggish, bogging down when I really slam the pedal down, dying on me at the light, not wanting to accelerate hardly at all and now it won't start at all!

I am not a real good automotive computer person so I run a few tests and start looking all over the net! Thought it might be the coil - replaced! NOT! Thought it was the PIP - replaced! NOT!

Now I've ran across this here Part 1 -How to Test the Ford Ignition Control Module (Fender Mounted) and thought I would run these tests but for the life of me! I CANNOT FIND MY ICM! It is nowhere in the engine compartment! I swear unless someone stole it!

That is why I am posting this here! I saw this thread title and I thought it would shed some light on my problem but I still have no clue as to where my ICM is!

Please someone give me a clue before I shoot either myself or the truck!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 AM
nighttrainrider
New User
ignition module

Jim
it's been a while but I do remember on my 96 it was located on the drivers side fender well, it was sort of hard to get to & remove the 2 mounting screws. Mine ran with the grey box but wouldn't pass NJ emissions, had to have BLACK BOX BY FORD which they only made 1 yr ! & have no idea were to get one. Actually my Ford dealer didn't even know they made it and with the part number that I supplied him he couldn't find it in his manuals. I assume you won't need the black box for emissions you just need for your truck to run so you should be able to use an after market from a 95 which I think would work?
Hope this HELPS!
Dan

[amestat2;15124221]Digging up an old thread here!

I have a 1996 F-350 SRW witch originally had a 5.8l engine in it but 2 years ago I swapped in a 5.8 from a wrecked '89 f-250. I know! Crazy right! Well the truck is a Texas truck with over 200k but in immaculate shape except the engine was REALLY tired. A friend had this 5.8 from a wrecked '89 in his barn with only 40k on it so I bought it for $450 and swapped it in.

While it was on the stand I pulled the engine wiring harness from the old engine and started plugging it in and it all fit (no extra plugs or nothing) until I got to the distributor!

The plugs where different because the '89 has the ICM mounted to the side of the dizzy and the '96 doesn't! Well the '96 dizzy won't fit the '89 engine either. The '89 dizzy is fatter at the base where it goes into the block and the oil pump shaft wouldn't fit either. So!! My machinist friend and I modded the '89 dizzy to accept the '96 PIP. It was very easy to do really! OK! So now I have the '96 plug coming from the '89 dizzy and all is well! I installed the engine and TA-DA! everything is good! That was 2 years ago!

So; this winter my truck starts acting up. Not wanting to stay running in the morning (-2 to -6 temps),then it starts getting sluggish, bogging down when I really slam the pedal down, dying on me at the light, not wanting to accelerate hardly at all and now it won't start at all!

I am not a real good automotive computer person so I run a few tests and start looking all over the net! Thought it might be the coil - replaced! NOT! Thought it was the PIP - replaced! NOT!

Now I've ran across this here Part 1 -How to Test the Ford Ignition Control Module (Fender Mounted) and thought I would run these tests but for the life of me! I CANNOT FIND MY ICM! It is nowhere in the engine compartment! I swear unless someone stole it!

That is why I am posting this here! I saw this thread title and I thought it would shed some light on my problem but I still have no clue as to where my ICM is!

Please someone give me a clue before I shoot either myself or the truck![/QUOTE]

Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
From 1994 and newer all Ford trucks take the black ICM.
In 1996 the ICM is mounted on the drivers fender.
Note the Black CCD ICM matches with the CCD type of PCM Computer.
What Computer did you use with the 89 engine?
If you used the 89 push-start Computer than you would need a Gray push-start ICM.

Location of the Black ICM:

/

Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Jamestat2
Freshman User
Thanks nighttrainrider and extra thanks to subford for the picture! Like they say! Pictures speak a thousand words! I never thought it would be hidden way back there! Had to take my cruise box off to get it out and it's a black one!

I don't have to pass state inspection Nighttrainrider but I have been told that if you don't use the black ICM your truck isn't running at it's peak so I want to use the black one. Just looked on Autozone website and they have a black one in stock! Lucky me!

I used the '96 comp that was already in the truck Subford. The '89 dizzy is fatter where it mates with the engine and other issues as mentioned. So my friend and I figured out how we could mod the '89 dizzy to fit the '96 PIP.

Thanks for the help fellas! I love this site! It's places like this that make it all worth while!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Jamestat2
Freshman User
WELL CRAPO on me! I guess I ain't so lucky! 7 tests on the tester at Autozone and it passed all of them! What a bummer! I guess it's back to the drawing board!

Only thing I have not done is test fuel pressure. I know both pumps (it has dual tanks) are working because I checked with my stethoscope and I can hear each one running when I turn on the key. I guess I will borrow my friends fuel pressure gauge tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Yes the Black ICM does not ever seemed to go bad.
Have you checked for spark?
Have you check the the injector grounding with a NOID light?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Jamestat2
Freshman User
Originally Posted by subford
Yes the Black ICM does not ever seemed to go bad.
Have you checked for spark?
Have you check the the injector grounding with a NOID light?
Yes I checked for spark at #1 using my timing light and there is spark. What is a NOID light and how would I perform that test Subford?

I can smell raw gas at the tailpipe when I crank it over a couple of times for 20 seconds or so at a rip.

Was just discussing this with Autozone guy (Older gentleman). I don't think that the IAC or the TPS would keep it from starting would they? They should only make it run like crap if they where bad? Would the MAP do it? Don't know if the PCM would be doing it either.

My girl drives the truck because she only works 1 1/2 miles from the house. A couple of times she said when she warmed it up in the morn that the radio, wipers and heater fan motor wouldn't work. Then one day the windows wouldn't roll down. Freaky stuff!

It's been butt freezing cold out (neg temps). But last winter it was in the neg teens for for a couple weeks and it was fine then.

Help me out with that NOID light and test procedures Subford.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Jamestat2
Freshman User
This guy here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-on-5-8l.html had a spark no start condition and he found that his cat was plugged! Maybe I am grabbing at straws but I might check my cat tomorrow too. It does have a tiny cat! LOL!

Before I put in the '89 engine the old one was dumping oil out the pipe like crazy from so much blow-by that it took about 3 days before it quit smoking after I finally ran it about 50 miles at 65mph! Just another grabbing at straws scenario!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
A NOID light is small light that can be plugged into any injector plugs to see if the Computer is grounding the injectors. You can rent one at most auto part stores.
To use one you just unplug one of the fuel injectors and plug the NOID light in. Then crank the engine and if the NOID light flashes the computer is grounding the injectors OK.
But if you can smell raw gas at the tailpipe when you crank it over then I would think the injectors are working and you would not need the NOID light.

Sounds like you may have a flooded engine and you can try holding the throttle wide open and crank it and see if it will start.

It also sounds like you may have a body ground problem. Make sure the smaller wire leaving the NEG post of the battery is connected good to the fender beside the battery.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Jamestat2
Freshman User
Well I put ICM back on and checked all my grounds. Took them all off. Wire brushed and dielectric grease and all. I don't have a small wire coming from neg terminal to body. Think maybe I should add one?

I tried the WOT at start and no luck. It has been; This whole time of not starting, trying to catch and then goes back to like a no spark cranking. When it does try to catch; Say every 3 or 4 seconds I have tried pumping the gas and also holding WOT and it just keeps going the same as it was. It'll crank like a no spark situation say 5 or 6 seconds then try to catch for 3 or 4 seconds then go back to just cranking!

I tried cranking it with the SPOUT disconnected and no luck there either.

I still have not checked fuel pressure yet. My friend will be around later with his FP gauge so I can check that next.

OH! Is there a way to test the PCM out of the vehicle? Would I have to take it to Ford or any suggestions on that?

I'll be on and off here the rest of the evening and then tomorrow. Supposed to snow 6 to 8 inches here Sunday. Hope I can get this sorted out before then!

Quick Reply: 1996 Ignition Control Module