1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Check Engine Light and Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
cadriver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check Engine Light and Sensors?

Q:
I wonder if every time an emission sensor malfunctions you always get a CEL?
I don't have a CEL right now but I still have pinging problem, did everything you can imaging, clean maf, check 4 vacuum leaks, replace EVR sensor,PFD,
clean and test the EGR, Iac works good with the Idle,and Seafoam it.
But there is more sensors that can cause pinging, like Knocking sensor, Throttle position sensor, camshaft sensor intake temp sensor,etc....
I assume ol these sensors are working correctly because there's no Check Engine Light "on"?

2000 Ranger, 3.0L

Old 04-03-2007, 03:10 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. Sensors can go without any sort of CEL. CELs show larger problems (misfires, etc.), but they won't show if a sensor is going out, even if the computer registers a code. Have the codes pulled to see if the computer detects a faulty sensor but still isn't tripping the CEL.

What fuel are you running?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
cadriver
Senior User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
No. Sensors can go without any sort of CEL. CELs show larger problems (misfires, etc.), but they won't show if a sensor is going out, even if the computer registers a code. Have the codes pulled to see if the computer detects a faulty sensor but still isn't tripping the CEL.

What fuel are you running?
I didn't get any codes "PASS"
87 oct fuel from shell most of the time.
Maybe dirty injectors? I have some of that seafoam in the tank right now, l will see if it does any good, couple days ago I pour 1/2 can into the intake
wait a 1 hour and put out the smoke show, but still pinging in hard acceleration or going uphill?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Actually, most sensors that are directly related to engine management/control are monitored via the OBD-II system in your '00 Ranger. If a problems is detected, a code is set.

Generally, the sensor circuits are checked for opens and shorts, and in most cases the functionality of the sensor is tested as well. This is why in CT, an OBD-II-equipped vehicle is not subject to an emissions "sniff" test, but only has to show that all OBD-II system monitors are active and functioning properly. In such case it's presumed that the emission levels are OK.

See: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...f/obdsm00a.pdf

Last edited by Rockledge; 04-03-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
cadriver, have you seen this TSB?

Article No. 00-24-08 - 3.0L Pinging

Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 PM
cadriver
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
cadriver, have you seen this TSB?

Article No. 00-24-08 - 3.0L Pinging
Thanks a lot Rockledge!

Very interested, but too bad I have no bumper to bumper warranty on this truck, so I'm fried!
Buying a new pcm and ignition coil packs are very,very expensive, and I guess is nothing else I can do about the pinging, maybe just stop buying these Rangers.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
cadriver
Senior User
After reading the pdf Rockledge provided, I went check the # on the ingnition coil and here's the # I read: F5SU-12029-AA ??
I guess it had been changed?
What do you guys think?
Here's a part of that PDF info :

6. If the first four numbers of the code fall in the numerical range from 7001 to 9213, replace coil with
revised Coil (F5SZ-12029-A). If the service coil label code falls in this range, obtain another service coil
and again check the code on the label of the new service coil. Return coils that fall within the range for a
refund per your part return policy. Only use the service coil if the first four numbers of the code DO NOT
fall within the numerical range 7001 to 9213.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Is there any other code numbers on the coil?

Also, how many miles on your 3.0L?

Last edited by Rockledge; 04-03-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
cadriver
Senior User
Is there any other code numbers on the coil?

Also, how many miles on your 3.0L?
That's it, there's another 3 small digit # but I think that's part code or something, there's no black tag on the coil, so I think this is the one changed, if you read these numbers, are the same except for the letters.
(F5SZ-12029-A).PDF
(F5SU-12029-AA this # is on my truck coil.

BTW, 75k miles on the truck.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
The coil could have been changed out already, or maybe it was the proper one to begin with.

FWIW, the PCM ("ECU") is considered a "Specified Major Emission Control Component" under the federal emission statute, which means it's covered for 8 years or 80K miles.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

The TSB itself says the work therein described is covered by Emissions Warranty Coverage. So right now I think you have an excellent case for coverage (as long as you don't drive another 5K!).

Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Rockledge,

Can the crank trigger for the ignition ever go bad to where it could inadvertently advance the timing?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by super 6.8
Rockledge,

Can the crank trigger for the ignition ever go bad to where it could inadvertently advance the timing?
Not that I can conceive of, at least not on it's own.

The closest thing I've heard of is people trying to play with the timing by tinkering with the position of the crank sensor (which is aimed at the crank pulley). Never did work.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:25 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I see what you mean. It delivers to the computer a fixed base timing similar to what the older distributors did. Then the computer controls the timing curves by adding or subtracting from this base figure. I don't know exactly how the trigger works or the margin for error, but an error of even 1-2 degrees in the base timing could cause pinging.

Just a thought ....

Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by super 6.8
I see what you mean. It delivers to the computer a fixed base timing similar to what the older distributors did. Then the computer controls the timing curves by adding or subtracting from this base figure. I don't know exactly how the trigger works or the margin for error, but an error of even 1-2 degrees in the base timing could cause pinging.

Just a thought ....
I understand your thinking.

FWIW, as I understand it, the timing on the '96+ 3.0L vulcan can be retarded in an attempt to combat pinging, but it has to be done by virtue of a computer re-flash. There is no longer an "octane adjust shorting bar" that came on the earlier models.

See: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-bar-c110.html

Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 AM
cadriver
Senior User
FWIW, the PCM ("ECU") is considered a "Specified Major Emission Control Component" under the federal emission statute, which means it's covered for 8 years or 80K miles.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

The TSB itself says the work therein described is covered by Emissions Warranty Coverage. So right now I think you have an excellent case for coverage (as long as you don't drive another 5K!).
I think my truck is updated, if it has the newer coil, must also have the right PCM.
and BTW, my truck passed the emission about 3 weeks ago, so I don't qualify.
I think Something else is causing the pinging, isn't too bad but is there time to time, in a hard acceleration or working up the hill I can hear the rattle.
Thanks again.........

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light and Sensors?