6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors

Dealer called and said my truck needs 2 injectors and the newest flash.
$287.00 each should I get the other 6 replaced or just the 2 and wait and see.

How many had injectors done and did it end up taking more than what it started out to be ?

Or did the ones that were done and no problems after that ?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was there any problem preceding the injector issue (i.e., fuel pump failure, clogged fuel filter, etc)?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
Was there any problem preceding the injector issue (i.e., fuel pump failure, clogged fuel filter, etc)?
None.

Was towing a trailer and noticed power was getting lower and lower as I was comming home. Pulled over and thought I was getting a flat on the trailer or breaks were locking up. Noticed a miss at idle . Shut truck off then restarted and still there.

Was on the side of the road 40 miles from home and would try limping it home.
Would only go about 45mph on flats and down to 30mph on small hills.

Got it home and pulled filters (changed 3k miles ago) and look like the new ones . So knew a fuel problem wasn't it. Also I buy my fuel commericaly and have my own tank at shop so didn't think that would be it.

Had it towed to dealer and thats what they told me.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Fortunately, I can't speak from experience. Hopefully others will chime in and I'm sure they will because this is a great site.

If you haven't experienced low fuel pressure from the above problems or run it out of fuel or driven with an extremely low fuel state, then I'd say you just got two bad injectors and will probably be ok just getting them replaced.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
Dealer called and said my truck needs 2 injectors and the newest flash.
$287.00 each should I get the other 6 replaced or just the 2 and wait and see.

How many had injectors done and did it end up taking more than what it started out to be ?

Or did the ones that were done and no problems after that ?
Hey, Matt-

I learned over the weekend that the latest flash will (should) keep even almost failing injectors from completely failing. It's got something to do with the way it heats the residue out of the injector body and allowing that 7:1 injector compression ration to return. It melts out the goo... Check this with your service tech, not your service advisor.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
should I get the other 6 replaced or just the 2 and wait and see.
It depends on what the 2 injectors look like that come out. If the injectors are plasticized (common problem running bio in these style of injectors) I would change all 8. The new flash will probably prevent some of this from happening as quickly as it did this time. (maybe double the mileage that you got out of them this time) If you can (no core) keep the old injectors and sent them off and get you a spare set built. I wonder how much cost differential a set of 8 injectors with labor is in compairison to dependancy on foreign oil is worth? If you are paying for the injectors (not claiming warranty) you might want to think about it. I posted asking specific questions on how the bio degrades the injectors, never got a firm answer. That was good enough for me to not run it in my truck.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mrxlh
It depends on what the 2 injectors look like that come out. If the injectors are plasticized (common problem running bio in these style of injectors) I would change all 8. The new flash will probably prevent some of this from happening as quickly as it did this time. (maybe double the mileage that you got out of them this time) If you can (no core) keep the old injectors and sent them off and get you a spare set built. I wonder how much cost differential a set of 8 injectors with labor is in compairison to dependancy on foreign oil is worth? If you are paying for the injectors (not claiming warranty) you might want to think about it. I posted asking specific questions on how the bio degrades the injectors, never got a firm answer. That was good enough for me to not run it in my truck.
See Ryan this is where your misinformed. Right off the bat its the bio that caused the problem . The injectors are not out of the engine yet and you know its because of the bio. You have all 8 being bad ??

Plasticized ??

A common problem with running bio where did you get that from ??

If its so common I sure havn't heard that in the bio forum .

The way I see it is that IF it is the bio Yes 33k miles is too short for a set of injectors . But I did do something to reduce OUR dependancy on foreign oil no matter what it cost me . If its a cost factor for you so be it but for me I don't look at it that way. I will still run the bio unless they can tell me for sure the bio did cause the problem. Which I don't think thats the case from everything I have read and others that have used bio with no problems.

I will know more tommorrow and yes if I do replace all 8 I will keep the old ones if no core charge.

The tech did tell me that he has seen that the newest flash does help the injectors and they are waiting on new ones before they reflash the truck like ozx3+1 stated .

Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
i highly dought bio has a neg effect on diesel engine...as alot of the fuel compay trucks mack,IH,etc...switched over as soon as they started stocking it at the pump...driver said it had no ill effect on the trucks at all....but IMO on the inj's how many miles do you have on the truck???are they under warrenty...?? i would if money isnt tight replace all 8 so you dont chase them around every year or two..

Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
See Ryan this is where your misinformed. Right off the bat its the bio that caused the problem . The injectors are not out of the engine yet and you know its because of the bio. You have all 8 being bad ??
Wow, touchy today are we? I said "It depends on what the 2 injectors look like that come out. If the injectors are plasticized (common problem running bio in these style of injectors) I would change all 8."

Plasticized ??
A common problem with running bio where did you get that from ?? If its so common I sure havn't heard that in the bio forum.
Yes, that is what I said, plasticized. I learned about it here in the early stages of bio, long before we had a Bio Forum, about 2-3 years ago. You might want to do a little searching.

How many people here are running 100% bio in thier 6.0? I'll go ahead and give you a hint, not many. So it may be just 2 bad injectors, (I never said it was the Bio, you put those words in my mouth) but, I have my reservations. If it was 100% safe, IH would be leading the market and everyone would be running out and getting a 6.0 PSD, due to this fact. Its not a coincidence there is a 5% limitation of Bio Diesel according to the warranty guide. I am not against the principal that is guiding you. I commend you for it, but the bottom line is you you knew the risk as it was spelled out for you. If it turns out to be just 2 bad injectors, well great. I am trying to be brutally honest, so you won't get an unexpected smackdown from the dealer. Its your truck, wallet, and principals, so do what you want if it makes you feel better.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
In the last issue of Diesel Power Magazine or maybe it was 8-LUG Magazine), there was an entire story on bio fuels and what is allowed and not... and why.

The injector and pump people (Stanadyne, Bosch, Siemens... and others) all state to use B5 and nothing more. Has to do with the inconsistencies of the bio and no set standardized protocol for manufacturing them to an ASTM standard.

It is not Ford that came up with the B5% limit... but what the injector and pump people will cover under warrenty... and of course, Ford does not want to cover the "out of pocket" expense themselves.

Look for the last issue (maybe current issue if still out) of this publication.

I think your bio-diesel would be a likely source as your truck was running fine and filters and pressure is fine... its just that the injectors had trouble with the bio for some reason????

I have no way of knowing, nor do any of us. You asked on how many to replace and we have no idea. Running more than B5 may just cause the same problem again down the road?????

It is just as good a reason or cause for your troubles than anything else you or the dealer think it could be????

I would replace all eight and use regular D2 or only B5% bio-diesel.

Good luck... let us know.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mrxlh
Wow, touchy today are we? I said "It depends on what the 2 injectors look like that come out. If the injectors are plasticized (common problem running bio in these style of injectors) I would change all 8."

Yes, that is what I said, plasticized. I learned about it here in the early stages of bio, long before we had a Bio Forum, about 2-3 years ago. You might want to do a little searching.

How many people here are running 100% bio in thier 6.0? I'll go ahead and give you a hint, not many. So it may be just 2 bad injectors, (I never said it was the Bio, you put those words in my mouth) but, I have my reservations. If it was 100% safe, IH would be leading the market and everyone would be running out and getting a 6.0 PSD, due to this fact. Its not a coincidence there is a 5% limitation of Bio Diesel according to the warranty guide. I am not against the principal that is guiding you. I commend you for it, but the bottom line is you you knew the risk as it was spelled out for you. If it turns out to be just 2 bad injectors, well great. I am trying to be brutally honest, so you won't get an unexpected smackdown from the dealer. Its your truck, wallet, and principals, so do what you want if it makes you feel better.
The problem is that it was Rumored that plasticized (common problem running bio as you would say) was never proven or have even heard of this happening.

I've resurched bio I'm sure alot more than you Ryan and have been using it for over 6 years with no ill effects before this happen. I'm not trying to tell you how good bio is and was just responding to your comments about it. IMO Bio is here and will only get better as dino diesel will be less common than bio years down the road. Ford's 5% limit is not there because of the problem with bio but as a warranty safe net for them because of the wide selection of Bio.
WVO- Waste veggy oil or home brew bio has no stanards to protect the quilty of bio. Commerical bio (soy) is what I use and will be the norm for us in the future.

I have taken full responsabilty and never claim a warranty because of its use. If the bio caused the problem I will pay what ever it takes to fix my truck and my dealer has treated me fairly.

The main question I had was should I replace all 8 or do the 2 and see how it acts.
I just wanted some input from guys that did have injectors replace and if they found that 2 were bad did they end up with more being bad later.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Skpumps
New User
Had four replaced in December two from each side. Just got truck back Friday changed four more 3 on side 1 on the other so still have 1 original injector. My 04 f550 had several injectors changed before I bought it March of 06. Still has the one original.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:23 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
I've replaced all 8 in Dec. Truck had 12,000 on it. Of course, I still have my originals because none of them were bad. Switched them all out for Beans Stage II's. Bad truck!! LOTS of fun. ROFL

Good luck, they're a bear to change out.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 AM
hott-rodd
Elder User
check ebay for some good deal, usually around $100 each new in box.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
Knowing why the injectors failed would help to determine if you should replace them all, or just the 2 of them. In my experience, 2 or more injectors do not fail at the exact same time unless something caused it to happen. I'm not going to get into another "bio-diesel" arguement, but if the 2 failed are on the right bank, especially if they are cylinders 1 and 3, I would strongly suggest looking into a fuel starvation issue.

Quick Reply: Injectors