6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Rowdy Bites a sour Bullet!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Rowdyone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rowdy Bites a sour Bullet!!!

Guys,

I have been a very loyal Ford owner for more than 20 years now and was very certain on the fact that Ford was all I ever wanted... So naturally when I first started hearing about this new early release of the 08' MY truck I was more than interested in it with my new route I hotshot parts on. With a 5 day a week route that runs from 400-600 miles and the average for the most part being 450-500 miles a day...

Now with the new truck and as with all new vehicles we use, your going to see some R&D oversights that we will all be expected to let the dealers work out and all. No biggy for me anyway as I have worked for a large manufacture before and in R&D LOL... The public is the absolute best test mule and the final on finding out if you have the product you think you do LOL...

This will be one of my typical long posts made on the WWW and for those that care to read this, there will be info in here you most likely will not be aware of on the new 6.4 stroker...

First off, I did buy a new truck, first new truck I have bought in almost 13 years now as the GWE of mine was the last truck I bought. That '95 MY(Model Year) truck"GWE" of mine has been the very best truck I have ever had too. You get good and bad in any of the trucks within each new MY. This 95' I got in late 94' was one of those killer trucks you always hear about for its MY. I just have never had trouble with this truck and its not like I have never used her either.

So yeah I toyed around with the thought of trading the 95' in on the new truck as to help with these very expensive trucks anymore. It didn't happen though as the dealer was not going to ever be able to get in the same zip code of what I know the truck to be worth. So, I just drove her home and will just keep the ol'e truck and use her as a back up and ranch truck she has always been so good at. Yes, a back-up; for I would be only lucky to get a new truck half as good as the 95' has been, let alone these new trucks and what the Gov't is making happen to meet the emissions... Our Gov't is as usaul way off the mark with all its politics and being politically correct, instead of doing the right thing...

So, enough of all that and on to the 6.4 and what I know about that motor. Sure Ford has a recall already on it. That was no surprize to me, what does surprize me though; is the fact that Ford doesn't just recall all of these 6.4's and replace this motor completely guys... Now just to be frank about this all, I am more than ****'d at Ford on this and you surely don't even want to get me off on what I think about the French Canadian company that has built this motor...French, is just about all I need say here too, as I don't expect anything from them as they so well proved in the war on terror. The french just think we all can live here on the planet in peace,love and dope...JIMO of them...

Sure all of the stuff that I know about the 6.4 can be fixed, but not how Navistar has been going about all this since the 6.0... Like I said earlier, I have worked in big manufacturing before, so I know all about this being politically correct BS within. So, if I didn't know better I would say Navistar has since the 7.3 replaced more than just a few of their engineers with what are cheaper employees, these guys are these new to the work force fresh out of school and never been dirty a day in their life. Maybe all of 23 or 24 years old and are now steering, leading edge technology on diesel's...

These newbies have been actively putting band-aids on all the problems they know to have with the 6.0 So with the more HP and Torque the 6.4 has, the band-aids are surely to fail. This 6.4 to be a so called new motor is nothing more than a glorified 6.0, using the same block and heads...

Things to watch for, well those new killer side vents where we use to have only brand and model badges, you bet; you better know they are needed. It wouldn't have been even to much if they had made the hood with a taller free draft from the back lifted side by the windshield to if you ask me. Just so that the engine compartment doesn't burn the paint off the top of the hood. These side vents are not to just look at, its to help with all the heat on way too many critical components and problems.

The cast iron common fuel rail is one of these area's. Its getting heat on it and here in the south soon as the temps get in the mid 90's the 6.4's will all start to shut down from a code of excessive fuel pressure, just soon as some new owners start working these trucks and expecting what they bought this truck to do. I keep asking myself why a cast iron fuel rail, let alone with where and how this common rail is on the motor...

Then, there is the new high pressure fuel pump system and where they mounted it. Oh, this has got to be one of the worst. The housing on this new pump is made from aluminum, which is fine; they just didn't need to mount the sucker right under the twin turbo setup and not to far from the 4" downpipe. All of which when this motor is being worked hard will get 2000+ degree's easy enough.

I know, its looking like a witch hunt here somewhat, but it ain't... I am ****'d though and I already told you that LOL...
its a bad pill to swallow if your like me and I die-hard Ford Guy...

Now, you remember early on about this TB on the 6.4 in extreme cold weather, you need to use the block heater plugged in to warm up the truck while its running and you may even need to change to a lighter weight oil??? Well like that, I would have been doing that anyway, but that is all smoke and mirrors if you ask me. That is not what is putting the metal in the crankcase and taking the motors out... Nor is what the lot jokey's do, as we all see them run the trucks as if they have never owned a diesel, or been around one ever of any kind...

Seems the high pressure fuel pump has another issue other than a very poor mounting place. This pump is a gear driven unit and runs off a gear on the back of the cam.
They have missed the correct headspacing on these and they are one of the reasons the metal is ending up in the crankcase and you know the rest of this...

Now with all these going wrong and the simple fact they built this truck so that the only things you can do under the hood is add oil after a oil and filter change, and add windowwasher fluid and anti-freeze. Other than that, I honestly don't even know why they spent money on the hood hinges. They probably didn't think about the money they could have saved on the two hood hinges or they would have done away with this as well, after all I bet there is not many of these new engineers that ever check and maintain proper fluid level in a battery also, they probably didn't know the top of the battery has a lid. Not to mention a lid to them is just a unit of measure for weed they buy to smoke LOL...

Just what is so cool about having to pull the cab assembly off a brandy new truck when the least thing has to be checked and/or fixed??? There is no right reason or excuse for this. I already know why, and they all should be fired so fast...50-60K for a fully dressed truck that the new diesel 6.4 is a total failure in is the only reason I didn't buy a new 08' truck and there was nothing else I wanted more either was this new Ford SD...

You add to the fact my dealers best diesel wrench has had all of this BS with removing the cab to fix the least thing on the trucks and has moved himself to the gas only cars and trucks with what he knows is about to start showing
up on these; I had to make a very drastic choice I never would have if Ford had made the right choice and moved the right diesel engine manufacture under its new 08 hood.

With me putting on 10K miles a month I had to do something and quick, at least quicker than what I see Ford going to be able to do with this total failure they have, I started asking myself what do I do??? Everyone around here is buying up all the 99-02 MY PSD SD's they can get their hands on. I know, it was my first choice too, and they are getting way hard to find and even harder to pay for.

So I went shopping and looking at something new and not only that, new to me. I know years ago I was working in the oil fields and seen how the Dodge and Chevy's just never did hold up to what most of us expected from the trucks and was way more expensive to keep them running.
So I very early on ruled all those out, but now with nothing for a choice on a new Ford, I went and looked and drove those brands as well.

I must say what I found was quite a shock too. I bought a new 07' Dodge 3500 dually. This truck was absolutely the most shocking of any too. This new 6 speed auto tranny with the manual selective shift and tow/haul as well was just killer Idea!!! Add the selective jake brake that is on the 6.7L cummins and I think once the BS with this new crap on the exhaust of these newer diesels is all worked out, this truck will be the best on the market for those of us that use a truck to haul and work with...

Never owned a Dodge, but this sucker goes on the route Monday morning brite and early. I mounted a new turnover gooseneck ball from B&W and a new Prodigy brake controller from Tekonsha on Saturday morning. Took the truck only, on a few light shorter hauls Thursday and Friday of last week to get a few miles on her and get use to the new smell of a Dodge LOL... Monday morning she goes in as full time hauler for a look see at just what this truck is made of and we will see if its half as good as what she was bought to replace.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
French, is just about all I need say here too, as I don't expect anything from them as they so well proved in the war on terror. The french just think we all can live here on the planet in peace,love and dope...JIMO of them...

French Canadians are fighting and dying in Afghanistan, fighting the war on terror.
Just thought you should know that.............

Old 03-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This 6.4 to be a so called new motor is nothing more than a glorified 6.0, using the same block and heads...
This is also not true...

Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 AM
jarepackard
Cross-Country
You talk about all this stuff with no experience on the 6.4 to back it up. Seems like a lot of speculation on your part without any details. If all these were going to break do you honestly think they would sell them? They tested these in 90 plus heat in AZ, fuel system still worked.

It'd be the final nail in the coffin and I don't think they are that dumb.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 AM
G & L
Junior User
there is a big differance between canada french and france french

Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by G & L
there is a big differance between canada french and france french
Very true....even the language is a little different.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Pure speculation on your part Rowdy as to what is going on with the 6.4

Sure Ford has a recall already on it. That was no surprise to me, what does surprise me though; is the fact that Ford doesn't just recall all of these 6.4's and replace this motor completely guys...

Recall? I wouldn't replace an engine because Ford re calibrated the amount of fuel used during the regeneration cycle.

Have fun with your new purchase, I know Chrysler has no problems

Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
Guys I hate to admit it but I believe RODWY hit the nail on the head,thats the word I have been hearing, that the 6.4 engines are failing all over the country and the flame throwing is just a cover up so ford can try do do damage control. I hope he and what I have been hearing is wrong, but there is no way I would buy a new ford diesel, the cost of owning after warranty is gone will be out of this world.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 PM
dapgar
Senior User
that was the biggest load of BS i have read in a long time. you rambled on and on without really making any POINT.
have fun with your dodge but they aren't perfect either. nothing is. everything has its weakpoints. and don't think that any other manufacturer is going to make it EASY to work on any new vehicles, why do you think they build 10 plus service bays into so many dealerships, because warranty work and people who can't fix it themselves. like it or not, that is the way it is today. cabforward design changed it all. so the new 6.4 wont' be that much harder to work on than the 6.0 is. it's all tight under there. if you want to do all the work youself, then stick with a 97 or older, before the new cab change. i have a 97 reg cab and it has no room in it, but on the other hand, you can see the turbo, and the entire engine to work on it.

ford doesn't want us to own these things much past warranty, that's why they make them hard and expensive to work on. they want us to be buying another truck by then. that's corporate America for ya.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
The flame throwing is a coverup? It's pretty well obvious and real...hardly something made up to cover other problems.

Amazing someone that doesn't own something can make such a list of comments, even to go so far as to slam the Canadians because Navistar has issues. Disgraceful.

On another forum I visit we have "armchair CEOs" and "armchair pilots" who seem to think they have the solution for everything. Apparently here we have "armchair Ford diesel engineers" as well, who could of course fix every problem with the 6.4L in a day because they know exactly what's wrong with the engine they don't even own.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 PM
dapgar
Senior User
excellent post. like i said in another thread, let ford sort this thing out, they'll get to the root of the problem and it'll be fine.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM
jarepackard
Cross-Country
Thinking Rowdy must have had a few drinks while typing this one....... Just watch out, as soon as it hit's 90 degrees ambient temp every 6.4 in the nation will shut down. Traffic will be shut down across the nation causing massive gridlock all because of the new 6.4 and the excessive fuel pressure.

After the shut down the cab will fall off, axle will leak, tires deflate, radio will malfunction, headlights will flicker, gas tank will leak and ignite, rear seat will also probably break, windows will get stuck in the down position, bumper will fall off, spare tire will explode, tailgate will immediately rust off, turbo will launch like a bottle rocket, rear window will fall off the track, clearence lights will explode like firecrackers and so on and so on.

Of course I don't know this to be true, just makes a lot of sense so why not say it.........

Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tn mac
I have been hearing, that the 6.4 engines are failing all over the country and the flame throwing is just a cover up so ford can try do do damage control.
OK, Sorry tn mac but, I'd like to see a source on what you have been hearing...There have been only a little over 8,500 delivered to end users....so these trucks are failing all over the country?

To All: Now is not a time for embellishment. John and I may have start asking for links, sources etc...to keep posts alive and well.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation.

Keith

Old 03-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Originally Posted by saskdiesel
French, is just about all I need say here too, as I don't expect anything from them as they so well proved in the war on terror. The french just think we all can live here on the planet in peace,love and dope...JIMO of them...

French Canadians are fighting and dying in Afghanistan, fighting the war on terror.
Just thought you should know that.............
Whoa man, that ain't what he ment.......Nobody ever accused a Canadian of being a coward........You might have a French heritage, but that don't make you French.........

Most of my people are German or Irish..........I speak neither German nor Gaelic.........And I consider myself neither German nor Irish, although I have both in my lineage.......

Just a thought
Gunner15a

Old 03-25-2007, 01:12 PM
jarepackard
Cross-Country
Thanks Keith! Couldn't agree with you more. If they were "failing all over the country" you can bet we'd hear more about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rowdy Bites a sour Bullet!!!