6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Rowdy Bites a sour Bullet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tn mac
Guys I hate to admit it but I believe RODWY hit the nail on the head,thats the word I have been hearing, that the 6.4 engines are failing all over the country and the flame throwing is just a cover up so ford can try do do damage control. I hope he and what I have been hearing is wrong, but there is no way I would buy a new ford diesel, the cost of owning after warranty is gone will be out of this world.
Well, anytime you're an early adopter of ANY technology (be it automotive, computer, aircraft, space, what have you), you are going to be in an elite club of public beta testers. Thats just the way it is. And you're going to be the lucky guy that brings said pieced of technology back for tweaks and gussets till they get it running (what ever IT is) right.

I think Rowdyone is correct in some of his ideas, to a point. Why DO you have to build a vehicle that you have to pull the cab off of to work on? Side air intakes so you can suck dirt off the passenger side of the road? Sounds a little like planned obsolecence to me. Either that or REAL poor design choices.

But that being said, it is what it is. Expecting something that is a BRAND new design to work as advertised, well that would be NICE, but it isn't realistic. Especially as complex as these new engines are becoming. To expect something like that to run flawlessly, well, no I don't think so. There is ALWAYS going to be something going on that NOBDY thought of.

Here is what I'M waiting to see...........Not the flaws, in and of THEMSELVES, but how they're FIXED. Metal in the engine from mechanical fuel pumps? How is THAT going to be fixed?They give it a band aid, or do they give it a proper fix. THAT is the question. They band aid it, and I won't touch on with a 10 foot cattle prod.

Am I waiting to see the flaws? Of course. Anything has them, and they'll have to be addressed. What I'm more interested in is how Ford FIXES these said flaws.

But boys, I SURE am glad I bought my 06 PSD brand new. That way by the time my warhorse is ready for some pasture time, they should have the kinks worked out.

Gunner15a

Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Spartan Racing
Junior User
Read the specs, this motor is super stout, from the new crank and rods to the new block to the all new heads and all new design gaskets, every area at risk was double strengthened over the 6.0, soon as we get the programming down look for 450 to 475whp with just an intake, tuning and 4 inch straight pipe.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunner15a
Whoa man, that ain't what he ment.......Nobody ever accused a Canadian of being a coward........You might have a French heritage, but that don't make you French.........

Most of my people are German or Irish..........I speak neither German nor Gaelic.........And I consider myself neither German nor Irish, although I have both in my lineage.......

Just a thought
Gunner15a
Then rowdy better re-write that paragraph because he lumps all french people together.
And I wouldn't walk into a bar in Gatineau and tell the patrons they are not french! Across the river from Ottawa, Quebec is viewed by many a distinct society within Canada.
The Bloc Quebecois have been pushing for an independent quebec for years and I hope it never happens.
So are Quebec people french?
No, not all of them.
But the ones that are can be radical indeed.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
KW
No source other then my friend that hauls,equipment for a living his already in the shop engine failure, the service manager told him they are having problems everywhere and ford is aware of it. the theory on the flames is my thoughts, not that they are not happening but that they are using the flames to hide the engine problems, cause they pushed the truck to market without testing as they did with the 6.0, I hope the stories are false. I have had some great ford trucks just dont trust there managment team that is running the show. And feel that since they didnt treat me and many others right with our 6.0 sd trucks what would make anyone believe they will do anything different with the 6.4 owners, hey spartan there will never be a straight pipe for the 6.4 and the tunning is also doubtful as the computer can now detect mods and will void your warranty.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 PM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KW
No source other then my friend that hauls,equipment for a living his already in the shop engine failure, the service manager told him they are having problems everywhere and ford is aware of it. the theory on the flames is my thoughts, not that they are not happening but that they are using the flames to hide the engine problems, cause they pushed the truck to market without testing as they did with the 6.0, I hope the stories are false. I have had some great ford trucks just dont trust there managment team that is running the show. And feel that since they didnt treat me and many others right with our 6.0 sd trucks what would make anyone believe they will do anything different with the 6.4 owners, hey spartan there will never be a straight pipe for the 6.4 and the tunning is also doubtful as the computer can now detect mods and will void your warranty.
There are people who will put straight pipes and tunes regardless of whether it voids the warranty or not. Just taking the DPF out and retuning for no regens will most likely gain significant fuel mileage.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:19 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
Sorry you can take it off but that wont stop the regens, thats in the programing and the computer will detect no dfp and put you in limb mode. do what ever you want its your truck but the days of pugging in a tunner are gone.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:21 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
I wonder how many people here believe that 3 trucks shot flames out the pipes and that caused ford to stop selling the trucks and recall all of the trucks that were sold.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 PM
66stang351
Elder User
Sorry you can take it off but that wont stop the regens, thats in the programing and the computer will detect no dfp and put you in limb mode. do what ever you want its your truck but the days of pugging in a tunner are gone.
Thats why I said and retune. There are aready vendors working on tunes for these engines. Just because Ford put in a chip that can supposedly detect an aftermarket tune won't stop them.

p.s. They said the same thing when the 2005 Mustangs came out. There were tuners for them within a few months.

Last edited by 66stang351; 03-25-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
cause they pushed the truck to market without testing as they did with the 6.0,
Oh...so the 10 million miles of testing (it was 10 right?) was fake...I assume the flaming tailpipes was a cover up for that as well?

I wonder how many people here believe that 3 trucks shot flames out the pipes and that caused ford to stop selling the trucks and recall all of the trucks that were sold.
And why would they not recall trucks for shooting flames out the tailpipe? Flames are hot...flames catch stuff on fire. If it's a programming error, or an error in the hardware, then ALL of the 6.4Ls are affected by it, and thus the recall. You don't hear of new F-150s, Tundras, Duramaxs, or Cummins shooting flames out the tailpipe, and hence no recalls on them for that issue.

Ford will recall them and fix the issue...or Ford will crash and burn, and they know that. They have entirely too much riding on the 6.4L and new Super Duty to just let it go.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It is likely a definition in terms... Spinning to minimize the impact. Who knows? Maybe there were more...at a lesser level of of sustained fire.
Curious.

I wonder also, if one can induce the flame effect by power braking? Or if a fuel dumping box would exasperate the phenomenon?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:07 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Oh! the humanity!! oh no the Brand New 6.4L has a little problem....oh no!!! the worlds gonna end. What ever guys....Its a new motor and new emissions and new fuel....all this NEW crap comeing together is gonna yield some mechanical problems.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:32 PM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
It only takes instance of somebody seriously injuring themselves, or god for bid...Get killed as a result of someone's truck shooting flames out the tailpipe.

The repercussions for Ford not addresing this issue in a timely manner would most likely be far worse than just recalling a "handful" of trucks and taking care of the issue at hand.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
KW
you may be right, its just hard for me to trust ford after my 6.0 expierences, and I am not in any way saying ford should not do the recall,cause if one person is injured then it was to many. It is just hard to believe 3 trucks could stop there big push on the new sd, cause fords life depends on this engine if it fails it will be all over, its there bread and butter hugh profit margins on it. AS far as the getting someone injured many here will remember the wiring problems with the 6.0 and the danger it caused they did nothing and the accelerator problems they did nothing, hopefully they learned from there mistakes,I will have to take the stance of show me,by watching as they deal with other people before giving them any more bussiness. ALL I know is if I did my customers wrong the way ford did us early 6.0 owners I would be out of buisness quick.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:04 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Originally Posted by jvoigt
Oh! the humanity!! oh no the Brand New 6.4L has a little problem....oh no!!! the worlds gonna end. What ever guys....Its a new motor and new emissions and new fuel....all this NEW crap comeing together is gonna yield some mechanical problems.
Thank you!

Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Rowdyone
Senior User
Guys,

I am not on the witch hunt you think I am. I was just putting out the facts as I have seen them in more than just a few of the dealers I drop parts too. The parts I drop at these dealers, well they just happenb to be remans from AER that are going in the trucks just like what all of you guys have here.

From full dressed 6.0's to just the heads, E4OD trannys and the torqueshifts, convertors, clutches, you name it I drop them off with a next day, over night service to these dealers and shops.

I hate it as bad as anyone, trust me; I really do. Yes I know anything new is going to have work needed from time to time, some more than others too. I said that in my first post more or less and some of you like to read what you get from it and take your on understanding of what I was saying, all wrong. For that I am sorry guys.

For as the French, well I still have nothing good to say about them. I have worked for some of the French Canadian's too and every single one I ever worked for or just with, thought they were quite a bit better than anyone else and they was in fact not a team player at all. I know the Canadians have been in the war on terror as they should be, every single race on the planet should be on this global problem. I never meant for anyone thing I said about the french canadians to lead you guys to think they was not in the fight on terror, that is the French and those guys are quite different all together.

I hate that all this I shared with everyone has not been well received, but I also posted this as info and its not trumped up for any witch hunt. I don't need to do or say anything like this for any reason other than its the truth. I am not after a pissing contest of mixing it up with you guys either.

As I said I hate this as bad if not worse than any one of you guys.
No, I didn't buy one of these trucks, but it was only because there was not one at the dealers just yet as I wanted or I would have. Hell, I love the new truck, its just the motor that aint going to ever work without some major rework involved and I mean major...

I know all you guys think the block and heads to be all new designed stuff too. There ain't enough difference in these motors other than what they changed as bolt on stuff, few bigger bolts and a cast flashing added to make bolting these here and there.

You guys acting like I hope they fail!!! That could not be more farther from the truth. I just don't see it before Ford and Navistar get out of love with each other and the fighting over this all really brings the truth about all this stuff right out in the open. Right now they got a good smoke screen and lots of clean mirrors to hide this so far and I for one feel real lucky I had not bought one before I have seen all this...

For as my new Dodge- the Gote LOL, well i want be shocked either to see it in the shop somewhat, if nothing else for issues with the DPF, let alone the new tranny these are using and the new Jake brake as well... I can report about the fuel mileage this gote gets or not, as well. I am not covering anything up or making anything up, just merely sharing info. I don't sugar coat things on either side of this coin either... The Gote gets 10 MPG towing my 27 footer loaded, well so be it. My good ol'e trusty 95' model day in and day out gets between 10 and 11 MPG doing this route and has been for almost 4 months now.

Sorry if what I have posted here affended anyone. I never intended for that, its just what I have seen and know to be the case. For as the flames and all that stuff, LOL... Well the only thing I can think of besides someone getting hurt would be what if your in a dry pasture somewhere there is a good 20 sections of good tall dry grass. Now that want be anything to laugh about either, on a windy spring day...

For as my thread I started here guys, if its considered to much to believe or causes to much unrest for some here, you guys delete this thread, I honestly thought you guys would "want" to know...
I will have no hard feeling on anyone here if you delete the thread, your choice... I just thought you guys would want to know this and would be on the watch for all this if you have onbe of these new trucks so as to hopefully keep the damage as small as possible maybe. I was not after a brownie-button for any of this, or a gold star on my report card or anything LOL... Sorry fellows for distrubing the troops here, honestly I am.

Quick Reply: Rowdy Bites a sour Bullet!!!