1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Airaid intake for 05-07, 4.0 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airaid intake for 05-07, 4.0 ranger

This is not to start an argument, don't care if you think it works or not, don't care if you think it's a waste of money or not. This is to let those who may be interested, That airaid now offers a quick fit intake for the 05-07 4.0. I don't know why they didn't include the 04 since it's the same as 05, I have an e-mail out to them on this matter. The quick fit uses the stock airbox base and sets down in place of the lid, it also has air dams that seal to the bottom of the hood to help keep out hot air and utilizes the stock base for cool air supply. It looks to be a better system than k&n as it replace the whole stock airbox from a hot air stand point. They claim 6 hp and 10 pounds of torque. It struck me funny, because this would be a more realistic number than the 12 hp that others have claimed. The part number is #400-194 if anyone would be interested. This is not a debate post, it's to inform people of new products for our trucks. It may make 6 hp, or it may rob you of 40 hp, don't care. I will say that I'm interested becuase it would allow me to reinstall my stock airbox. "PLAESE", NO ARGUMENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Alan D.
Posting Guru
AHHH! YES!!! I have one of those(not same model) on the dodge. I love it. i can get 30,000 before cleaning it. It works better with the turbo on the cummins. it's also nice to never need to buy a new airfilter again. I use K&N oil and cleaner on mine.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool wendell, i have stated with you earlier i would be coming to you for some advice here in the near future and this is another option.

6 hp sounds more realistic than 12.
do they ever state if its hp to the wheels or engine?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Very cool...so you just remove the intake tube and stock upper airbox and drop the new one in place? That's a dang good idea.

6 HP does sound a lot more realistic than 12.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I got a e-mail back from airaid, according to them, 04 is the only year that has the maf intergrated into the airbox, 05-07 doesn't, I would have the oddball. To tell you the truth guy's, I'm getting scared about having an open element air filter, becuase I do alot of water crossing when wheeling. I'm getting worried about hydrolocking. This airaid system would be great because it uses the lower part of the stock airbox and stock air openning. I'm going to put my stock airbox back on untill someone comes out with a better system that this k&n intake I have, it's to exposed to the elements for what I do. It's ok for a street truck, but not a wheeler. I just read another post where some poor guy hydrolocked his 4.0 sohc in his level II because of an open element cone filter, put a rod through the block, thats not good. Airaid said that the research department was working on the 04, so we'll see, but I have to have that filter protected.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Way to ruin the post wendell LOL....wont fit my 04! I'm with you on the open filter...good for power, bad for water. I don't wheel much so its not a big deal but digging the mud out of the pleats on the K&N does suck.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Yeah I hear ya bud, I never really thought much about it untill I read that poor guy's post where he hydrolocked his engine then put a rod through the block. I do alot of river and creek crossings back home in W,Va when I'm wheeling. I have an k&n intake with the AEM dryflow filter and I've mucked it up many times, not think about hydrolocking, "Woooo", wake up call !!! Check out that airaid system at www.airaid.com, it protects the filter pretty good, looks like a nice system, but of course won't fit our oddballs.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 PM
rubydist
Elder User
Wendell, why don't you just go to the junkyard and get an airbox and maf housing from a 01-03, then you can put on the kit of your dreams...

Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
They say the wire harness is different where it plugs into the maf, I don't know, but thats what I've heard. I wonder if an 05 would have the same plug in for the maf? What do you know about all this Ruby, you mess around with this stuff, will an 03 work?

Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
04 and up 3.0 engines use a slot in MAF meter, 05 and up SOHC engines use the slot in MAF, its a completely different sensor, so it would be hard to adapt.

One thing you could do wendell, which is what i did on my 03 FX4....

Last edited by fordboy_52; 02-23-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:09 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bob, i thought id let you know that i put some spaces after your pic so that the post wasnt wider than it is long. and for wendell..... nice opening, should keep this calm (i hope) +1

Matt

Old 02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Nice mod Bob...smart and simple.

Hey Wendell...if you're going back to the stocker 'cause your worried about hydrolocking...at least on my Ranger, the stock intake has the tube that runs to the header panel...it would fill with water even easier than the open element, if that makes sense.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
thanks matt, looked on on my preview screen so i thought nothing of it

Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
You know Zach, the more I thought about it, your right to an extent, but also the filter is pretty much protected there, there's the inner fender liner and all kind of obsticles to detour water. I have ran this way for 2 years with out a problem. Actually, I don't know how that other guy managed to hydrolock his motor by just driving through a puddle, I've driven through rivers, creeks and streams with out a problem. I think there's more to the story than he's telling.

Bob, thats a pretty impressive airbox mod you have going there, it looks good and gives added protection to the filter. You have done such a good job with your airbox, I'm not worried about you hacking up my light tabs anymore ha ha ha.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:40 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ill second wendall, ive driven through water up and over the hood. i just make sure to get it out asap and make sure none got into my motor before driving.

Matt