Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Oxy-Actylene questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Phinxter
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxy-Actylene questions

I planning on buying a torch set in the future, found some in HF for about $100, and some identical for 1/2 that on ebay, anybody out there got a set like this. I guess the main reason for buying them is for the flaming wrench attachment (cutting torch).

Another question is I know nothing about the cylinders. what can I expect to pay for a small to medium set (sorry don't know the correct terms) at the local welding shop or gas supplier.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:36 PM
wcurtis
Senior User
I got a Medium set, tanks are about $75 each to buy, about $20 to fill

Old 01-21-2007, 01:05 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not that knowledgeable, welded projects still leave much to be desired. Used on number of occasions for cutting and worked great. Not sure which brand you are referring to. Purchased a set of Vic's Oxy-Actylene gauges and hoses for about $150 few years back, understood they made quality welding equiment. Perhaps overly cautious when it comes to equipment that can blow up. Purchased the tanks from local supplier few months later, May,01. The supplier's policy is I exchange for full tanks and only pay the cost for the refill. For medium size tanks it comes to around $35, sometimes few dollars more; interesting the price can vary between same supplier. Suggest check w/ supplier's policy, believe some can expire over period of time, and/or may require minimum annual refills. Exchange policy is convenient, don't have to be concerned about condition of the tank, they can certainly get rusty, as well as collect dirt and grime.

dave

Old 01-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Timca
Junior User
A lot of places don't rent tanks anymore. They want you to buy them. Some places want a ten year lease. Sometimes this costs more than buying. Shop arround. Good luck. Tim

Old 01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
200000+F150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the deal: Most suppliers sell the small tanks, but only rent/lease the large ones. If you lease, you simply swap for a full. If you own, some will swap for a full of the same size, others you may have to wait for your actual tank to be filled. Here's the REAL strange part. Leased tanks also have monthly rent or demurage. If you swap during a month, you pay for the contents, but if you don't "turn it over" (use it and swap) within that month, you get charged. (around $5-$8) per month that you don't use it. As for the bill varying from same supplier, that's because of the acetylene. All high pressure gases have tanks of uniform volume. One of the chest-high bottles is 122 cubic feet. That's at the proper pressure of 2250PSI. Acetylene tanks of the medium size all have the same dimensions, but the volume they can hold will vary from as little as 80 cubic feet up to over 150 cubic feet. You'll often see white numbers hand-painted on them. That's the volume,and that's what you get billed for. The tanks have a "honeycomb" inside, as well as some liquid acetone. (That's why you are not supposed to use them laying on their side )New tanks start out around 150 cf and their capacity deteriorates over time. Clear as mud? Welding supply is a funny business.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
dffay
Elder User
Shop the deals and check Craigslist too for tanks AND other tips. O/A has amazing capabilities for what it is. Use it to its fullest ability--cutting, welding-mild, stainless and aluminum, brazing, body leading, copper pipe sweating, undercoat removal, etc.

O/A should be everyone's first welding foray. What you learn in heat control will help every other type of welding the homeshop will do.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I got my oxygen and acetyline tanks, it was about $200 each, lifetime lease. They take care of the maintenance, recerts, all that, I just take the tank in, they give me a full one. I have a pretty good sized tank too. I run propane now, doesn't do much for welding/brazing, but then, I don't anyway. Acetyline tanks and refills are not cheap... I run right off a simple grill tank. I also have a bigger 100 pound tank, but don't bother with it generally, the grill tank outlasts the oxygen by a long ways...

Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
it shows that tank prices vary a lot, up here im looking at about $400 to buy an oxygen and a acetlyene tank, medium sized, bout 2 1/2 to 3 fet tall. dont really want to go much smaller than that, especially if you are cutting a lot.

as far as a torch set, Victor or praxair are going to be two of your best bets. their is little reason to skimp here, for $200 or maybe even less where you are, you can get a set that is at least partially american made (victor, air liquide), if you want to buy 100% american made product, go with a Smith setup, its nice stuff, just a bit harder to get parts for, not as widely sold as Victor. im going with a victor,common, reasonable price, easy to get parts for, still high quality. you can buy a good quality Victor, asnd easily get cheaper, offshore tips for it that still work well.

the other benefit of buying something like a victor, is if its taken care of, it will last forever

Old 01-22-2007, 08:26 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Victor is a very common tip style. I have real good luck with my Victor type. That is one thing to be aware of, because sometimes you can't get replacement parts. Victor type can be rebuilt more likely, the other type that parts can be easily gotten for is Harris. I have both... The Craftsman torch I bought uses Harris tips, the KT uses Victor.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:43 PM
bc56845
Senior User
Northern tool and tractor supply rent and exchange them, and they're open on saturday and sunday, which is when I usually run out. But, if you get there, you have to exchange them there i think.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bc56845
Northern tool and tractor supply rent and exchange them, and they're open on saturday and sunday, which is when I usually run out. But, if you get there, you have to exchange them there i think.
I exchange my tanks at TSC. I was using the local welders supply but I kept getting screwed with shorted tanks. I always get more at TSC and pay less too.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
200000+F150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OSin86
I exchange my tanks at TSC. I was using the local welders supply but I kept getting screwed with shorted tanks. I always get more at TSC and pay less too.
Yes, my distributor is also a customer, so I hear the inside on a lot of things. The company that they purchase from is a major player in the area, and has been shorting them lately. TSC is pretty good at offering good values on many things, and while I've never dealt with them on tanks, I've been getting a good bit of other stuff there lately.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FirstTry
if you want to buy 100% american made product, go with a Smith setup, its nice stuff, just a bit harder to get parts for, not as widely sold as Victor
Smith is the best torch on the market period. First of all they have a lifetime warranty, if they cannot repair it, they replace it. It is however highly doubtful that you will never need to use the warranty. In a straight cutting torch their is a needle and o-ring that is all that can go wrong with them, as the mixer is in the tip, and not the torch body. You do not need to wrench tighten the torch tips as they use packing, which makes changing tips a breeze. Hand tight only, and they don't leak. All smith torches are chrome, so the finish stays good for years with very little care. Lastly the torch lever on all smith torches are reversable, meaning they can be installed on top or on bottom, depending on your preferences. The tips are not much more than a std. victor or harris and they are available at just about any major welding supply store. I used to swear by Harris, til I used a Smith. Since then, I have not used anything other than a Smith since, and probably never will.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:46 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
okay, for myself, even at the larger stores, the only place i could get Smith was from a chain store located throughout my province. they get their Smith equipment from a supplier that i can't find to deal with directly, when i was looking at the diffrent sets in preperation for purchase, i had to consider that these torches may be going into the oilfield with me, which means a good week to get it into the camp, plus the time to get it from the supplier to where i could pick it up. it just made more sense for me to get a Victor, as i can get it pretty much anywhere around here.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
There is absolutly nothing wrong with a Harris or a Victor. If you go through that many tips, well buy what ever is most available in your area.