Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   
View Poll Results: Pick a tool, any tool:
Husky
15.00%
Kobalt
5.63%
Snap-On
40.63%
Mac
11.88%
Matco
10.63%
Stanley
10.00%
Ridgid
6.25%
Proto
10.63%
Armstrong
4.38%
Other
54.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Tool poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:40 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
other

craftsman, thats what is in the shop, so i use em. there are a few snap-ons in the box, i use them when applicable.

when i actually get out there, making good money, i will invest in nice tools, just to have them, pass them on.

" here little jimmy, these are called wrenches, back when grandpa Joe was young, they used thesse to fix things, weird eh?"

Old 01-17-2007, 02:08 AM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprised that Craftsman isn't on the list. I have a little of everything from over the years. Mostly SK Wayne and Craftsman with some HF, Proto, SnapON and others thrown in. Actually I have found that the HF isn't as bad as some would make them out to be. I have their cheapie sets of obstruction wrenches that have come in handy more than once and I haven't broke one yet. Maybe I wouldn't want them for work use, but if I worked at a place that I had to watch my tools like a hawk I still might use them there. We have some Chanllenger and Proto's at work that I wouldn't take over the HF pro line.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:52 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason I state the cheap HF aren't much better than scrap is that some break in half on first use, (had a 9/16 split clean down the center into two neat halves) and I have bent the wrenches because they were not forged... that is not to say all of their cheap tools are junk, but most. My dad lives by HF tools, because he won't get anything good for the farm, might have to spend a little...

Old 01-17-2007, 04:08 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mostly Craftsman, and a set of SK combination wrenches that will apparently last forever. I've never had any problems w/ Craftsman, but I'm not a pro.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:01 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of Craftsman, also Thorsen, Proto and Williams. Williams is even more "industrial" than Proto. I never did the Snap-On off-the-truck-on-credit thing, always paid cash.

Jim

Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Mr Incredible
Senior User
When I have to buy a good tool I get Craftsman. If I see something like Kobalt on sale or remember it when in Lowes, I get one of them. If I'm looking for usable filler for the tool box, I get some import.

I don't use tools hard enough to break them much. I don't know if I just don't work hard or I'm smarter than I used to be with them.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah, that's what you get from me when I'm tired. Just hit other for Craftsman.
I'll go back to space now-

Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Yeah, that's what you get from me when I'm tired. Just hit other for Craftsman.
I'll go back to space now-

It happens to the best of us.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
craftsman and sk mainly

Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Ian F
Elder User
Craftsman mostly with some Husky and Easco/K-D, but I plan to upgrade to S-K and Snap-on as the need arises and funds allow.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:36 AM
200000+F150
Elder User
Originally Posted by eco
Let me get this straight...

You have been replacing Snap-on with Kobalt and Harbor Freight.
Maybe not as nuts as it sounds. When I was young and single I made more money than most people my age and had better credit than most. Now, 20 years later, I have worse credit than ANYBODY(long, ugly story) and make less than most people my age. I also had 3 different tool trucks making the weekly stop. Now, at the night job, no trucks. The small business is run outta the house, so none here either. I allowed shameful things to befall my tools, and as such, lost a LOT (read $$$thousands$$$). This past year has seen some major progress in rebuilding the set. I had to put together a bagful for the maintenance job a couple of years back (basic stuff). I also re-assembled a set for the "shop". A promotion at the maint job meant putting a second box there and splitting the major set into two, plus starting to "fill in" both, so lots of duplication. While it would be sweet to have all top-of-the-line stuff, I can't justify the expense, especially given that most of this stuff gets used infrequently. Therefore, I spend money on good tools where it's justifiable, and cheaper ones where I can get away with it. While I MUCH prefer not to buy Chinese stuff, it is increasing in quality all the time, and is perfectly acceptable for a lot of things, quality-wise. My main opposition to it is social/political/economic. My carry-around toolbox doesn't have very many tools (to save weight), but they are all top-notch, and adequate to do 98% of what I do. I keep a few more things in the truck "just in case".
One instance of cheap stuff being good enough is for a balancer puller set. I used to have a Snap-On. I have NO IDEA where it went. I needed/wanted one, so I got one on sale at HF for around $15. I use it maybe 3-times a year. I replaced the 5/16 & 3/8 bolts that came with it with grade8's from the hardware store. It serves it's purpose fine. At some point I'll probably get a better one, and put this one in my roll-around at the maintenance job. For now, HF is fine.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:50 AM
woodbutcher05
Senior User
Had a good set of Craftsman,Snapon,SK and others UNTIL someone liked them better than I did.Got stolen out of my truck.Slowly rebuilding with Stanley.
Lucked out the other day though,was cleaning out some storage units for a friend and found a Dukes mixture of sockets,ratchets and wrenches.
Leo

Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Husky and Power Fist tools for me. I also have a fantastic wrench set from Jet. They have a lifetime warranty, and so far no complaints, even when abused.
I used a Mastercraft 1/2" rachet as a lug wrench for a while. On a stubborn lug nut, I had to pound on the rachet with a sledge for ten minutes or so until it loosened. Otehr than wrecking the finish, no apparent damage done.

I don't make a living with my tools and wrenching is just a hobby. If I wanted to use Snap-on and the rest, I would have to find a new hobby.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
I have mostly Craftsman tools but also use some Snap-On's, Mac's, Husky's and had a great set of Ridgid plumbing tools until they were stolen. I do have Ridgid power tools though

Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of what I have is under "other"
Craftsman, Williams, and some old Sears tools (pre-Craftsman merge). Have my share of Proto, a few SKs, and what Snap-On's I can find at the flea market and on odd jobs (Not paying full price for those, WAY out of my range...) Plenty of other Misc tool brands in my boxes though...
(tons of broken fun with the Powerbuilt & Tradespros)

Last edited by ihateminimumwage; 01-23-2007 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Tool poll