General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

2WD vs. 4WD ATVs.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:07 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2WD vs. 4WD ATVs.

I am looking to get an ATV for trails that run by my house. They go forever and it is time for me to get something to go out and play. I am going to be using it strictly on the trails. They are a little rocky, pretty muddy in places, and have some steep hills. A 4x4 just might be a little out of my range. So, those of you with 2wd like a 400ex or Raptor how far have you pushed it? Would it be wise just to avoid them all together. I have watched some videos on Youtube of some 2wds going really well in the mud. I would just get worried that I will get stuck. If I have to avoid a 2wd, I'll just go for a dirtbike, but an ATV would be more fun for me.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

I'm gonna watch this thread, as my wife is interested in a quad after renting a couple for an afternoon in Mexico.

No local trails around where we live, they're about an hour away, but she's still interested. I'll probably need a trailer if I'm gonna get 2 quads though.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:28 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my 4x4. I have several friends with 4x2s & they can go most places I do. I beat them in deep mud though. I use mine to plant food plots also. I doubt a 4x2 will pull my disk. It really depends on how you use the quad. A 4x2 is fine for most riding situations.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
I am looking to get an ATV for trails that run by my house. They go forever and it is time for me to get something to go out and play. I am going to be using it strictly on the trails. They are a little rocky, pretty muddy in places, and have some steep hills. A 4x4 just might be a little out of my range. So, those of you with 2wd like a 400ex or Raptor how far have you pushed it? Would it be wise just to avoid them all together. I have watched some videos on Youtube of some 2wds going really well in the mud. I would just get worried that I will get stuck. If I have to avoid a 2wd, I'll just go for a dirtbike, but an ATV would be more fun for me.
My wife and i travel around the eastern states and Canada ATVing. She has a 4x2 atv, And i have a 4x4 atv. And i have to say that she has never needed 4x4. Alot has to do with your riding skill's if you get stuck, 4x2 can go through alot. I brought 4x4 because i plow snow. So if you just plan to trail ride, safe a little money and buy a 4x2. now go have some fun

Last edited by maevans; 01-08-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Wow, these were not the replies I was expecting. Thanks guys. I will only be doing trails and a little sand pit riding. That is about it. The deepest mud hole might be 8"-10". My biggest problem is that there is a pretty big hill that I am not sure a 2wd can get up. I might take a walk out there tomorrow to take a pic and see what ya'll think.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I've seen some of my friends climb a 60 ft sand hill with their 4x2s. Its real steep. Its the Miss river bank north of Memphis. We ride in the river bed when the river is low. Unless you plan to do some serious mudding a 4x2 will be fine.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM
fast frank 66
Senior User
i have a 350 raptor and i've taken it on some pretty rough trails. i was suprised at how well it handled everything. the only thing i would complain about is the low clearance of the rear axle. i'd get hung up on fallen trees if i didn't cross them squarely. you could improve it by running larger tires. and i'd suggest some aggressive rear tires to make up for not having 4wd in the mud.

if you get a 2wd quad, make sure it has reverse.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I currently don't own an atv, but have in the past,(suzuki LT230S and LT250S). I have also ridden a 2wd Yamaha timberwolf, and Honda 200. The suzuki's were "sport" quads, while the others are more utility. I have never ridden a 4wd quad, then again, I've never been stuck on a trail saying "damn, if I only had 4wd I could do that". The 2 wheeler are very capable, and lighter which can make them more fun. I actually really like the little 250 Timberwolf, it won't set any speed records but goes fast enough, and does quite well in sticky situations. Handling a two wheeler, your skill as a rider will need to be higher to get some places, but it makes it a more fun trip. I ride really hard when I do ride, and I've taken that timberwolf up a hill that was VERY steep, with patchy ice, and with some creative body placement and throttle control I got it up. Someone had to say the the mountain was too icy to get up, and 2 of us were out to prove them wrong, and we did. I can bury it really good in the snow, but it's light enough I can get it out myself. I've never encounted any mud a 2 wheeler and some speed couldn't fix. Personally if I was in the market for one I would go for a 2wd utility with the five speed. The autos would take all of my fun away. The crossover yamaha wolverine looks to be a really fun ride if they still make it--half sport/ half utility with 4wd, but I think they made it a full auto now.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
No local trails around where we live, they're about an hour away, but she's still interested. I'll probably need a trailer if I'm gonna get 2 quads though.
bigrigfixer- Only a hour, We have to drive 3 hours one way for a ride. Good way for you to spend time with the wife. And you get a couple new toys.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've gone a few places that 4X4 was a must but most of the places I go my sister in law can make it on her 4X2.
4X2 or 4X4 I think a winch is a must. Just in case.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM
fordman102
Elder User
My brother had a 4x4 and I had a 4x2 when we use to ride togeather. Rode in some pretty rough places. He only had to pull me out of a creek one time. When I get another one it will be another 4x2. I don't care for how a 4x4 handles and steers. For fun on trails 4x2, for work, plowing, snow etc. then a 4x4.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
Wow, these were not the replies I was expecting. Thanks guys. I will only be doing trails and a little sand pit riding. That is about it. The deepest mud hole might be 8"-10". My biggest problem is that there is a pretty big hill that I am not sure a 2wd can get up. I might take a walk out there tomorrow to take a pic and see what ya'll think.
Sounds like you have little or no use for a 4x4. I'm a long time ATV'er and get bored fast when there's no challenge. One person in my camp has a 4x4 and sometimes we need him for a pull only because we get into stupid stuff knowing he's there........... if you catch my drift. More times then I can count I've had my 2x4 sport machines in so deep of water that I had to wheelie through so I wouldn't suck in water. You can climb about anything with a 2x4 that a 4x4 will too (it just might take more work and skill). In the sand dunes this last summer I was actually shooting over hills that some of the big 4x4s were getting stuck in. Being on a light powerful machine can be an advantage when you get to the top and it's all freshly blown over sand. These guys were sinking while I was just skating over the loose stuff.

The ability is there for the 2x4 machines but there's more to it then that when picking out a quad. I work harder for what I do then the utility 4x4 guys do. I'm faster then most of them but they're feeling a lot better at the end of the day. A lot of these new utility quads are like Cadillacs. What I mean is they may be heavier and bulky but they have a comfort that sport machines don't. My best advice is to get out and try different machines. It's as big of a difference as wanting a Mustang or a Superduty.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

So here's a dumb question. Are the 4x4's full time? Will they do donuts?

My experience with quads is limited. We rented Honda 2 wheel drive 4 strokes in Manzanillo last month, and in Puerto Vallarta 3 years ago. They were both 5 speeds, but the new ones had reverse. The ones from PV didn't have reverse. Gotta admit, doing donuts and figure 8's in beach sand is a lot of fun. Just about bucked me off a couple times though turning in too tight.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
woogs
Elder User
I've done some cool power slides but never any donuts on a 4X4. personally I perfer the 2X4, much more fun. I never met any mud a little speed couldn't fix. the only thing is I've had the front wheels come off the ground going up steep hills following a 4X4 that made it awright. I still made it though.
-matt

Old 01-08-2007, 10:42 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Almost all of the new 4x4s are selectable. My 03 Suzuki Eiger is. I highly, highly recommend the Eigers and I can do doughnuts all day long with it. If you know what you're doing, the front tires barely move.

IMO-4x4 all the way. You'll appreciate the 4x4 if you ever get into some really tricky up or downhill action and in the mud 4x4s can't be beat.

The 4x4s can also work if needed. Snow plows and stuff like that. I've used my Eiger to pull cars up onto the road at my farm when they've parked over the hill and it has rained.

I have seen 4x2s that go most everywhere that the 4x4s go but they are ridden by very skilled riders and they still couldn't go everywhere.

Also the extra weight in the front helps keep you wheels down on the steep stuff. You might only be riding some easy trails now, but then you'll try one a little harder, then a little harder, etc, etc.

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2WD vs. 4WD ATVs.