1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Transfering glass

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 07:28 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfering glass

Old 01-03-2001, 11:04 PM
thaiciel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfering glass

I have two 1948 F3s, the one I am restoring has three broken windows, the glass on the second one is perfect. How can i move the glass from one truck to the other? Can i do it myself, or do i need to take it to a shop?

plus, where is a good place to find a radio? Someone recommended that i try swapmeets; has anyone had any success at this? thanks.

Old 01-04-2001, 11:13 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru
Transfering glass

[FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="3" FACE="Veranda"]
Is the glass you need to change a stationary panel, like the windshield and back window or is it the door glass? Stationary glass is harder, but not impossible by the home hobbyist on these older trucks. Door glass is reasonably straight forward. So I won't elaborate. Regardless of which glass you replace, use new weather seals. There is nothing worse than wasting your time on old dried out rubber seals. By having new ones, you can cut the old ones to remove the glass from both trucks with a clear conscience; this saves a lot of hassle. I feel that the removal process presents the most risk of breakage which is what everyone fears in doing this task. There are some techniques used to install the new glass which I'll let someone else elaborate on. :-) I hope this helps.
[/FONT]

[LINK:www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee|http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/registrysig.gif]

Old 01-04-2001, 12:31 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Transfering glass

The one thing I overlooked and lead to breaking my windshield is I failed to bend the four retaining tabs that hold the windshield in before trying to remove the windshield. They are under the rubber about 8-10 inches from the corners.

Bob Jones
'49 F-2
'48 F-1 panel
'49 8N tractor

Old 01-04-2001, 12:58 PM
franklin
Junior User
Transfering glass

Cut the rubber with a knife on the outside and push it out
(two people of course). I have exactly the opposite opinion
of Stockman. I had one heck of a time getting my new piece
of glass in the passenger door of my 1953 truck. Working
through that little access hole in the bottom and trying to
get everything in place took many many tries. I finally got
it but I didn't think it was easy. Although I didn't exactly
know what I was doing either. I hope you guys know too that
you should be able to get all the flat glass locally from
a glass shop cheap. They charge by the square inch and they
cut my door glass for only $25.00. My back glass is a little
cloudy around the edges and I bet it won't cost more than $40
when I'm ready to do that.

Old 01-04-2001, 05:34 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfering glass

Make sure you use new gaskets for the front and rear, so you can cut out the glass from the donor trucks.Just cut around the edge of the glass on the outside. I do it that way and the glass just lifts right out. No fuss, no muss!haven't lost one yet. The side glass is easier if you remove the division bar first. It takes more time, but less cussin' that way. The vent windows come out by removing the screws in the forward edge of the door. You may have to play with it a little, but you can do it easily.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:04 PM
soupy264
Senior User
with the glass out, put the new gasket on the glass, place nylon string into the outer groove in the seal.the groove where the metal will be when it's in the truck.make sure the string extends past each end about 6 "make the ends be on top in the center. have assistant place the glass on the outside of the openingand gently hold in place.you get inside the truck and start pulling on one end of the string,hold the other end so it does not slide out. as the string you are pulling comes out make sure the seal is seating on the inside of the metal of the cab opening.If done right the seal will follow the string all the way around the glass and it will be installed. if done right this should take less than 5 min. good luck I know this is a late response but I hope it helps anyway good luck Phil

Old 09-26-2004, 08:00 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Why Re-use Old Glass?

The glass in my 51 were cracked so I took them all out and had new ones made. The windshield cost $50, the rear window cost $45, and each single pane for the doors cost $45. I'm not finished with the door glass yet. I made a cardboard pattern with the wing vent eliminated.

I have 4 extra cabs and 2 of them have nearly perfect glass. I didn't use them because the plastic that is laminated between them deteriorates and allows the glass plates to separate. I didn't want to deal with reusing the old glass, and then start wicking water or sealant between the panes after reinstalling due to disturbing them in the move.

I agree with the others, but if you must reinstall old glass use new seals. The windshield seal is around $30 and the rear window seal is around $20.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Some people want to reuse the old glass because they like having the Ford oval logo that came on the glass. I know that is why I bought a used back window. I am not going 100% stock but like having the logos.