2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake squeal and dash rattle at 12 k??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 PM
ashleymc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down re

dealer basically told me "have a nice day" noise is normal...SO I said then "QUIET BREAKS ARE ABNORMAL"?? "SNAFU" Im fed up

Old 01-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Shawn1024
Senior User
That sucks....... Not sure if any of the dealer techs on this site can give some advice here that would motivate your dealer to fix the problem. Seems to me that the dealership would be well served to keep you happy in order to get future business.

I hate how my brakes dust up my wheels/rims, so I'll probably be replacing them with ceramics this summer. I think the braking system on my F150 is soft and had the dealer check em out last week while the truck was there. I got the "their normal" response, however, they're not giving me problems. When I drive my wife's Blazer and use the brakes in a similar fashion I just about throw myself through the windshield.

Good luck with this one......frustrating.

Shawn

Old 01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Brakes are a normal wear item and most dealer's probably aren't going to doing anything about it. of course there are TSB's out there for certain problems like shuddering/warped rotors, but nothing for squealing.

to save yourself the aggravation and frustation, sometimes it's just better to spend the couple bucks and fix it yourself and then you'll don't have to worry about it again. Like in my example, I changed the pads after only 500 miles and never looked back. 2.5 years/23k miles later, no dust, no squeals, no warped rotors, it's a nice feeling!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 PM
ashleymc
Junior User
Thumbs down "normal wear items" food for thought

You know, come to think of it..Just about "Everything" on a truck is a wear item..seats-engine-transmission-paint etc. etc.....everything is starting to wear out the day you pick the truck up.. but what was said is right.. is this worth a coronary?.. it leaves a bad taste in my mouth but somehow I kinda know ill end up at the ford lot again come trade-in time..but then again maybe not the "only lot" ill visit like in the past..i think ill at least look at the other brands and who knows ?? So if Ford loses my next truck buy to dodge or chevy than i guess the denied free pad job cost them more than they thought in profit from the next lost truck sale..

Old 01-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Chris1450
Senior User
ashley... really... is brake squeel really that bad? It is annoying, but I bet all manufacturers have that. It is because they use semi metalic pads. It IS normal. Semi metalic pads just a few years ago was cutting edge. It just isn't enough in my book to give up a vehicle for. It isn't like it is damaging anything or loosing braking performance because of it. Why not just put the stuff behind the pads and call it good?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:17 AM
higdogg
Junior User
Originally Posted by ashleymc
So I guess thats the concensus..pay $25000 for a truck and fix any problems ford can ignore at my own expense..i will try the service dept. though just to confirm my expectations..thanx
haha, yeah that's my take on it too. i think its bogus to pay the prices and have to listen to your brakes squeal whether its labeled as being 'normal' or not. would anyone want to buy one of the lincoln trucks (just like the f150) thinking they're driving a nice quality vehicle and drive around listening to their brakes squeal, or better yet pull up somewhere in a nice truck like that and everyone hear your brakes squealing. I sure don't! i'm disappointed w/ ford for putting something like this on their vehicles. i think everyone on here would agree that if it cost a few dollars more than what they paid for their trucks that they would have rather the factory put on some better pads than these squealing dusty things that everyone has wasted countless hours writing about on forums and taking back to dealers to fix.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 AM
ford9c
Senior User
Ashleymc and Higdogg, both of you are right on the money about how ford's dealer service is currently treating its customers. I've had to fix multiple issues on my truck myself despite that fact that the repair was not only under warranty, but also observed by the dealer's service staff. In the end all you can do is either deal with the problems as they are or fix them yourself. Otherwise you will be spending more then a few hours in the dealer's waiting room just to get the news that the problem is normal, or can't be verified.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
higdogg
Junior User
That's true, and like others have been saying, these things are usually not big issues but they're very annoying. The bottom line is that it shouldn't happen, a lot of this stuff shouldn't be like that. If I could go back, I think I'd wait til at least late 2005 to have bought my truck if I could have instead of late 2004, and mine doesn't even have as many problems as most 2004's. Seems like after 2005 a lot of the kinks were worked out. I understand first-year vehicle issues when they first hit the market, but these things are simple and ridiculous that should never be problems on a new vehicle-like brake squeal.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have ceramics all around, and have no dusting, quiet brakes,and the truck stops a heck of a lot better then the stock pads. Before my wheels would be all dusted up after a couple days use. Especially the fronts.
I suspect anyone who has ceramics and gets major dusting, must have a set manufactured with very little ceramic in the formula. looks like another manufacturer needs to be looked into. Ceramics do dust to a point but they leave a very transparent type dust not so visable. Honda has been using ceramic for some time now on some of their vehicles with great success. How many Honda wheels do you see all dusted up?

Last edited by KevinM; 01-05-2007 at 10:01 AM.