1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

How Rare is this?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 05:49 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 533 Likes on 424 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
I'm pretty sure a 2V, but I'll have to get the #'s off it, I was leaning towards the 300 as it has 4.56's, but... I really like a V8 rumble, and who gaf about mileage I'd reather have smileage!
2v or 4v doesn't matter they are both good. Remember they also put 400's in Rancheros and sometimes people mistake them for 351C's. All the 351c"s use a small block bell housing and all the 400's use big block bell housings. On the 351c's the 2v manifold won't fit on a 4v head and vice versa. The heads all have either a 2 or a 4 cast on the upper corners. As a general rule the open chamber heads have a raised dot cast beside that number the closed chamber's do not have the dot. This isn't written in stone because I have seen 4v heads with the dot that were closed chamber.

The following 2 users liked this post by Crop Duster:
Old 05-20-2023, 08:10 AM
tripleframe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 299 Likes on 209 Posts
I have a choice, 351C I got from neighbor he pulled from his Ranchero, or a 300 six I have in my shop...
With those choices, I would start looking for a 300 bellhousing and 435 4spd. and all related linkages from a '65-'66 F 350. With a 351, you will have to fabricate engine mounts or find an aftermarket kit. With a 300, a factory horsecollar front engine mount used in '65-'66 F 350's and F 250 4x4's should work.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:34 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm pretty sure a 2V, but I'll have to get the #'s off it, I was leaning towards the 300 as it has 4.56's, but... I really like a V8 rumble, and who gaf about mileage I'd reather have smileage!
I'm confident the 351C would provide you with smileage!! -- just realize the 351C will be at a considerably higher expense. Are you expecting it to be a hotrod truck or a workhorse? You could likely part out the 351C , turning it into $$ to support your 300/435 build...... But it's up to you and your wallet.

BarnieTrk

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2023, 12:34 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 249 Likes on 194 Posts
Thanks gents, yes it is a 351C, my neighbor does hot rods, he took this out to put in a bigger built engine from some guy in OK, he has some extra $$ to spend on his when I bought it from him, he gave me a 4bbl intake, an HEI dist and some dress up stuff, so basically I just need to get it in and bolt intake/carb and dist in place. I bought motor mounts for it years ago, just need to dig around and find them. In the time during divorce and buying my house/shop, I ended up buying a 300 out of a 72, with NP 435 attached, I also have an NP435 from another 66 I had bought then sold, and 2 or 3 bellhousings to go with for the 351C/300's, and yes the hard part will be getting all the linkage for the clutch at the 63 is just a bit different.
It won't be a hot rod, just a fun ol driver/worker, take up to the mtns to cruise around and firewood hauling.

If anyone has a line on a 350 for the mounts and linkage I'd be interested... I love the Ford sixes, and maybe I'll stick the 351C in my 66 F100 Shrek..

Shrek, currently has a 300 I rplc'd the smoking 240 with

Mater, engineless currently, has the T98 I'll swap out for the 435 with either engine.

The following 4 users liked this post by Pickupmanx2:
Old 05-22-2023, 06:00 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 533 Likes on 424 Posts
If you are going to use the Cleveland in the 66. Here are a couple of things I ran into putting one in my 65 with the 4V heads.
If you use the small block engine perches and truck isolators the driver's side cast iron manifold will not fit. A 2V cast manifold might work but I would mock everything up on the engine before I put it in to make sure.
If you use the stock front sump oil pan you need the rear drain pan, even then it is best to add an extension to it, so it doesn't dump out onto the crossmember. or buy a rear sump pan and pickup.
If I were going to use a NP435 with that engine I would look for a 1980's Windsor or I6 bellhousing that uses a hydraulic clutch. Some were external slave, and some used the donut type throw out bearing. All are aluminum.
All Cleveland's are 28oz. unbalance flywheels.

The following 2 users liked this post by Crop Duster:
Old 05-22-2023, 09:52 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Thank you sir, would be nice to just take a month off and spend it in my shop gettin things done! But alas, the bills would not get paid if I were to do that.. + I need to get a 2-post lift and I would really like to get a tube bender for exhaust, as our local guy that used to do it up here closed up shop.. I found out after the fact or I would have bought all his stuff.

Originally Posted by Crop Duster
If you are going to use the Cleveland in the 66. Here are a couple of things I ran into putting one in my 65 with the 4V heads.
If you use the small block engine perches and truck isolators the driver's side cast iron manifold will not fit. A 2V cast manifold might work but I would mock everything up on the engine before I put it in to make sure.
If you use the stock front sump oil pan you need the rear drain pan, even then it is best to add an extension to it, so it doesn't dump out onto the crossmember. or buy a rear sump pan and pickup.
If I were going to use a NP435 with that engine I would look for a 1980's Windsor or I6 bellhousing that uses a hydraulic clutch. Some were external slave, and some used the donut type throw out bearing. All are aluminum.
All Cleveland's are 28oz. unbalance flywheels.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:24 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Finally got around to doing some cleaning, organizing and shelf building late July in my shop, then had Fiancé's daughters wedding in Aug. and all the fun that comes with that, as I was the caterer 🤦‍♂️ well, fiancé and I were, smoked a slew of Tri-tip and my garlic/bacon/potato dish, all went off without a hitch except for the hitchin that was supposed to happen
Lately been prepping for winter now, work and home, cutting wood, getting Sno-cat ready and loaded with essentials and putting new lights on her, hopefully this winter will be busy, but not as busy as last year when it was non-stop going everywhere.

Got "Mater" into a better position to work on, so now when I have time, I can work on him, only thing I need to do before that is drag him out front and wash him down then put him back in place.

Mr. Sid get's to stay inside, he's the pretty boy, his days of wheelin and woodcutting are few now

Organized is so much better

Made a frame for the 300 so I can move it around

Beth my smoker getting ready for work

Also bought something else I didn't need 1946 Model B, it runs and drives

needs a beer holder, workin on that!

Old 10-12-2023, 12:26 PM
tripleframe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 299 Likes on 209 Posts
[QUOTE=Pickupmanx2;20856895]

The best way to do a engine and trans swap, complete fan to driveshaft package! 300's in F 500's F 600's came with horsecollar front engine mounts that come in very handy for '61-'64 installations.

Old 10-12-2023, 11:25 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=tripleframe;21002863]

The best way to do a engine and trans swap, complete fan to driveshaft package! 300's in F 500's F 600's came with horsecollar front engine mounts that come in very handy for '61-'64 installations.
Yes it is indeed!! Ended up with 2 of these set-ups, one with 300/Np435, one with 300/T18, both run, probably going to do a gasket set on one, new clutch/PP and TO bearing for Mater, and I also have another NP435 that was rebuilt sitting in the back room... and a 302, and a 351C 🤦‍♂️ ya never know what you might need!
That's some handy information right there, thanks! Now, do you know anyone that has one?! Would make my 292 to 300 swap much easier without havin to fabricate mounts for it!

Last edited by Pickupmanx2; 10-12-2023 at 11:30 PM. Reason: yes it is
Old 10-13-2023, 09:03 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 524 Likes on 417 Posts
If you go with the horse collar front mount, then it seems like you'd also want to go with the bellhousing rear mounts. But if you do that then you'd need the longer input shaft for the NP435 since the bellhousing with mounts is deeper than the one without the mounts like you have. I also noticed the rear of the transmission is set up for the driveshaft to the rear rather than the yoke for the coupling shaft to the transfer case. The transmission also lacks the bosses to bolt the transfer case shift lever bracket, so you'd probably have to fabricate something to support that lever. Not exactly an easy swap if you want to do it similar to how Ford did it.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:53 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Oh boy, lots of those things I hadn't considered, thank you. I do still have the original T18 in it, I'll do some mocking up and measuring to see how things will fit, definitely not going to be a plug n play type of swap!
The nice thing now is having my shop so I can start n stop as I go, and not be forced to rush the process, he's been waiting patiently since '06 when I got him. I drove him to work a few times with the 292, he kept dropping push rods, so I pulled it out, debated on rebuilding it (wish I would have) but ended up with a 91 van with a 7.3 I was going to put in him... had a friend with an older 70's-ish chevy 4x he had done a cummings swap on, and he was having a hard time with the frame and steering from all the extra weight, so I shied away from that, then life happened and he just waited patiently till now.

Old 10-15-2023, 12:38 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
So Mater got pushed out of the shop yesterday for a cleansing, now to push him back in and get him in position for his heart transplant and brakes, and I'm sure many other things, but it's a start!

All the other trucks are jealous

Shrek in the background just got the boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits wipe down, so he's lookin sharp

I think I could use a few more old Fords

Old 10-17-2023, 11:48 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by TA455HO
If you go with the horse collar front mount, then it seems like you'd also want to go with the bellhousing rear mounts. But if you do that then you'd need the longer input shaft for the NP435 since the bellhousing with mounts is deeper than the one without the mounts like you have. I also noticed the rear of the transmission is set up for the driveshaft to the rear rather than the yoke for the coupling shaft to the transfer case. The transmission also lacks the bosses to bolt the transfer case shift lever bracket, so you'd probably have to fabricate something to support that lever. Not exactly an easy swap if you want to do it similar to how Ford did it.
Yes, it's going to be a bit more than plug n play on this one... you are correct, the transfer shift mount/linkage is bolted to the trans, it is a T98, I think I said T18 previously. Does/did Ford make a bellhousing for the T98 to 300? That and the front mount mentioned in F500's and 600's would come in real handy... think I'm going to get the T98 out first and do some measuring and thinkin, I did, and then again I didn't, remember the linkage was bolted to the trans. Been so long ago since I pulled the 292 out and spent some time underneath him. Still some cow poo splatted underneath him from his days as a ranch truck lol, I didn't do as good of a job pressure washing him as I should have, have to remember to keep my mouth closed when I'm underneath.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:35 PM
KO1960
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I know that we’re talking about trucks, but that smoker is sweet. The flames are a nice touch.

The following 2 users liked this post by KO1960:
Old 10-18-2023, 10:57 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by KO1960
I know that we’re talking about trucks, but that smoker is sweet. The flames are a nice touch.
Thanks, I wish I could take credit for it, but I bought it from a gent down in Porterville who had it made, painted in high temp stove paint, has held up well for about 15 yrs of use!

And no worries, I don't mind when threads wander

Quick Reply: How Rare is this?!