Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV Mod / Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:30 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV Mod / Smoke

Not sure if I have a problem, or it is simply because of it getting colder and darker earlier. When sitting at a traffic light (when dark) I can see smoke in the headlights behind me. It appears to be coming from the CCV mod. Since doing the mod most of my driving has been done during the day, now that it is getting darker earlier that will change.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Crash1040
Junior User
Are you sure its comming from your CCV? My first thought is someone will say route it into your exhaust and you won't have the problem.

Not to worry you, and not sure what qualifies as excessive, but think I've read that excessing crank case vapors can be an indicators of other problems. And that might have only been from the Oil Filler with the cap off.

Others will be along with more and better information but make sure it is coming from your CCV cause I bet they will ask.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Took a look, it is coming from the hose from the CCV. I'm hoping that it is just that I didn't see it in the lights behind me during daylight hours.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mine routed to open air and the smoke looks about the same as cigarette smoke, color and quantity wise. I believe this to be normal from looking at pictures in threads as well as ather threads concerning this. I can see it on mine too in situations similar to the one you described

Old 11-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine is routed to the drivers side rear wheelwell, and I can see it smoke out the side as well. It's normal.

Recently there was a post on TDS about a guy who had his CCV routed into his exhaust, and had 2 brand new BB turbos belch oil and leak on him. Come to find out, there was too much backpressure in the CCV vent pipe, even though he had it mounted further down the tailpipe with the correct bung and all. Venting the CCV to open atmosphere fixed his problem. Apparently the CCV needs either a vacuum or at minimum an open atmosphere to vent properly. After reading his posts, I'm not about to route the CCV into the exhaust, and I won't suggest anyone else do it either, even if others haven't had problems with it.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:18 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Another reason I guess I havent done this Mod. I thought about it, but just seems it may not be the greatest. My boots were a little dirty and I took them off,cleaned them and replaced with new clamps. They have yet to get dirty like they were when I bought the truck with 150k. Of course, I drive like grandpa.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pocket
Recently there was a post on TDS about a guy who had his CCV routed into his exhaust, and had 2 brand new BB turbos belch oil and leak on him. Come to find out, there was too much backpressure in the CCV vent pipe, even though he had it mounted further down the tailpipe with the correct bung and all. Venting the CCV to open atmosphere fixed his problem. Apparently the CCV needs either a vacuum or at minimum an open atmosphere to vent properly. After reading his posts, I'm not about to route the CCV into the exhaust, and I won't suggest anyone else do it either, even if others haven't had problems with it.
That's interesting! I know the commercial 7.3's have their CCV venting to outside air.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Mine has worked fine run to the exhaust for 100,000 miles.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
On a warm summer day I hooked up my CCV to the exhaust. Hook on, see a little discoloration of the exhaust. Hook off, it is clear again. Hook on, hook off all the same as before. In winter, it will look worse.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
Thanks for all your comments. Looks like I have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:01 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have a thing to worry about. I noticed it too, more at night, when I had it routed to the open air. It just looks worse at night because the haze is blocking headlights - the only source of light.

I have mine into the exhaust now. Pocket, I know the thread you're talking about. I have to think that he had something not setup correct with his. There are a lot of guys who have their CCV into the exhaust, yet he's the only one I've heard about causing an oil leak in the turbo. (Plus, it still leaked once he routed it to the air - though not as bad.) I can see the haze coming out of my stacks at idle, so I don't see how it can be causing any crank case pressure.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:14 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was told you need to cut the ccv pipe adapter to a 45 and weld it into the exhaust at a 45 and in about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch...that makes sence to me it should almost suck out that way..i was also told it should be done right after the down pipe where it is the straitest so that the vapers will burn off befor it comes out the tail pipe..whats you thoughts on that??

Old 11-30-2006, 03:28 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Mine dumps right at the hump where the axle is.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:16 AM
cedman
Senior User
Shouldn't there be a check valve somewhere in the CCV line going to the exhaust? This would prevent any "backflow" of gasses INTO the crankcase.

CedricR.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is how i have mine, and i have no problems with it. When i removed the elbow at Fall Brawl, i had some grey sludge (about a quarter's size) on the elbow. I guess the combination of parking outside in the rain, with no drain hole and the CCV gasses made this sludge. Now i have a drain hole.

It's perpindicular to flow, and it's working fine.

Quick Reply: CCV Mod / Smoke