1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about towing, cruise control and Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 AM
BillAV8R1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about towing, cruise control and Overdrive

Saturday, I towed my boat for the first time with my 2006 F-250 5.4L 3.73. I wasn't sure whether I'd need to turn on the Tow/Haul (Overdrive) button or not while driving. When I left it off, it seemed to have a bit of difficulty with pick up than when it was on. What's the correct option? Is this just a problem I'm going to have because of the engine size and gearing? I've attached pics below so you can see what I'm towing, but is it recommended that I use the Tow/Haul function or leave it off?

Another thing I noticed is that while driving to the coast of Florida, when I tried to put the cruise control on at any speed above 75, it seemed to keep dropping into Overdrive or down a gear, as if I was going to pass someone or going up a hill, even though we were on flat highway. Was I doing something wrong in terms of having the tow/haul button on and running at that speed AND trying to use cruise control at the same time?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 11-13-2006, 09:15 AM
timcommon
Senior User
Bill,
Plz understand that the new 5 spd tranny you have does not have a lock-out for "overdrive". What the Tow-Haul feature accomplishes is:
1. delaying each each upshift (holding you in a lower gear a little longer) to accomodate higher gross weights during accelleration/ climbing grades.
2. providing true engine braking when decelling or on long downhill grades.
In either normal or tow-haul, you get overdrive when the engine-tranny parameters have been met.

A side note however...in my opinion, in a Super Duty 250, you're pushing some substantial weight, so a 5.4 gasser with 3.73 rear end is not a good mix for towing. Hate to rain on your parade, but you will notice a significant improvement in towing if you changed out to a 4.10. And if you ever upsize your wheels/tires, from OEM you'll probably notice some sluggish response also.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
BillAV8R1
Freshman User
TIMCOMMON - Don't worry about raining on my parade .. this is exactly the kind of information I need, because I don't want to do something to that truck and screw it up, so I really appreciate what you're saying. I'm going to look into getting the gearing changed. Dumb question: Do I need to look for a specialized mechanic that does gearing or is this something the dealer could do? I'm in Central Florida.

Thanks, again.

Bill

Old 11-13-2006, 09:37 AM
timcommon
Senior User
Bill,

I sure would check out your local "stealership" for pricing and compare that with any reputable transmission/rear end specialty shops in the area. That rear end bears the brunt of all driveline loads so a gear changeout needs to be done by a savvy guy for your long term peace of mind.
For what it's worth, when I spec'd out my '06 V-10, I opted for 4.30's over the stock 4.10's and am glad I did as it flat pulls!
Enjoy your new ride!
Looks good in your pics.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah like the other guys said, the engine and gearing are what limits you. Your computer is hunting gears trying to keep the engine in the "power" RPM band. When the tranny hunts gears, you need to try to get it to stay in a lower gear.

If you have 4wd, be sure to consider the cost of changing ratios in both differentials. Otherwise you cannot use the 4wd feature.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 AM
PHWLEE
Posting Guru
If you have a 4X4 you would really need to swap both axles otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the truck in 4 wheel drive. Doing the gears is NOT something you can do in your backyard unless you've done them before and know what you are doing.

I used to have 3.73's and switched to 4.30's. More torque, low end power and no more searching for gears switching back and forth from 3rd to OD on the highway.

You don't have to go to a Ford dealership for this. I heard the don't have anything beyond 4.10's. You should go to a shop that specializes in axles. They may be able to get the gears for you at a decent price. Otherwise, you can order them online. I ordered my Yukon set from Randy's Ring & Pinion and was very happy with their service. I then had a local shop who specializes in differentials install them for me.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont have the "Tow/Haul" feature however i was always told to turn off overdrive when towing anything. This came from Ford and also a trailer shop i deal with. Mine has a 5.4 with 3:73 gears and tows a lawn trailer(easy) and a enclosed car trailer(fairly good ,I need a trailer brake) but i plan on adding 4:30's pretty soon.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM
timcommon
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheWiz427
I dont have the "Tow/Haul" feature however i was always told to turn off overdrive when towing anything. This came from Ford and also a trailer shop i deal with. Mine has a 5.4 with 3:73 gears and tows a lawn trailer(easy) and a enclosed car trailer(fairly good ,I need a trailer brake) but i plan on adding 4:30's pretty soon.
You are absolutely correct!
But starting in 2005 Ford provided us with the new tranny and as stated earlier, overdrive is part of the shifting scheme in or out of Tow-Haul.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:06 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,110 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Even as far back as '92, it was advised by Ford (in the manual) to tow USING overdrive unless it started hunting for a gear, then push the overdrive button, locking out the overdrive. I had a 02 F250 diesel and always used overdrive unless I was in the mountains, then I locked it out. I was pulling a 30' 5th wheel! Was a great truck.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted this in your other thread, but don't forget to add a limited slip differential at the same time if you think you'll ever need/want one. Pay labor once if you can.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
He already has limited slip...3L axle code.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:09 AM
CyberJay
Senior User
In Florida it's not your engine.. it's your gears. I've got a 5.4 with 4:10 gears and I've been pulling my offroader('78 3/4 ton suburban) quite a bit lately and it's fine. Don't get me wrong, I can feel the weight back there, but I'm not disappointed at all, and that's about 8000lbs total. Now in the mountains I think I'm going to have some troubles, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

-Jay

Old 11-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't see the axle code, 3L, so thanks. If it's a 4x4, a limited slip (True Trac) would be good to put up front.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ace!
I didn't see the axle code, 3L, so thanks. If it's a 4x4, a limited slip (True Trac) would be good to put up front.
Sorry, I should have explained it was from another thread he was discussing his truck in.