Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Overdrive in the 1950's

 
  #31  
Old 10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
F250Rob's Avatar
F250Rob
F250Rob is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 916
F250Rob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.F250Rob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 56 F-250 came new with the heavy duty 3 speed transmission. When I shop for an overdrive for this transmission, will I have to look for an overdrive unit that is specifically made to fit the 3HD transmission? Alanco, you mentioned the -11 vs. -10 casting code. I'm not familiar with that, or where to find it.
 
  #32  
Old 10-27-2006, 03:12 PM
alanco's Avatar
alanco
alanco is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fallon, Nevada
Posts: 412
alanco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OD for HD 3SP

Originally Posted by F250Rob
My 56 F-250 came new with the heavy duty 3 speed transmission. When I shop for an overdrive for this transmission, will I have to look for an overdrive unit that is specifically made to fit the 3HD transmission? Alanco, you mentioned the -11 vs. -10 casting code. I'm not familiar with that, or where to find it.
I am not aware of any difference in the overdrives, only the transmissions. The Borg-Warner overdrives only fit Borg-Warner transmissions, and because the truck boxes for Fords have a longer, larger main drive gear/input shaft, it is easier to put an overdrive on a truck box that is from a passenger car. They are strong enough for most purposes with an F-250. The mention of code 11 cases came from another poster. Since you have a 56, you need a 12V solenoid for the OD. The governor is only a switch, and the OD relay needs to be 12V.

Regards,

Alanco
 
  #33  
Old 10-27-2006, 03:46 PM
F250Rob's Avatar
F250Rob
F250Rob is offline
Elder User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 916
F250Rob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.F250Rob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks Alanco! All great info, but brings more questions to mind too.

Sounds like a BW overdrive out of most 50's Ford cars and trucks would work on our BW truck tranny. Anybody know how far into the 1960's that interchange holds true?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how large the field is for potential donor vehicles, and be able to ask the right questions at the wrecking yards.
 

Last edited by F250Rob; 10-27-2006 at 03:49 PM.
  #34  
Old 10-27-2006, 04:30 PM
alanco's Avatar
alanco
alanco is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fallon, Nevada
Posts: 412
alanco is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Od.............

Originally Posted by F250Rob
Thanks Alanco! All great info, but brings more questions to mind too.

Sounds like a BW overdrive out of most 50's Ford cars and trucks would work on our BW truck tranny. Anybody know how far into the 1960's that interchange holds true?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how large the field is for potential donor vehicles, and be able to ask the right questions at the wrecking yards.
Overdrive generally ended being used about 1966 or so. It was used in Galaxies and Fairlanes.

Alanco
 
  #35  
Old 10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1's Avatar
ALBUQ F-1
ALBUQ F-1 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 24,099
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by alanco
Overdrive generally ended being used about 1966 or so. It was used in Galaxies and Fairlanes.

Alanco
I learned about OD's on my dad's '67 Country Squire, so they went at least that far.

I'd struggle to find where I saw the info on the casting numbers, but the jist of the article was that there were two distinct "grades" of OD's and one was stronger. It came up because someone was trying to swap internals and they didn't fit. My notes say the casting numbers are R10-x and R11-x. Could also be there was a non-Ford version, as IH and Studebaker used them in their trucks.

Edit: I did a websearch and found this fascinating collection of truck-related ads -- hit the arrows at the top of the frame to navigate forward/backward!
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ar/count...-overdriv.html
 

Last edited by ALBUQ F-1; 10-27-2006 at 07:08 PM.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
1989Ford7.3
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
9
12-28-2016 09:52 PM
Transam461
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
7
09-10-2016 12:58 PM
timr21
1968-2013 Full Size Vans
9
03-12-2012 11:39 AM
Thummmper
Ranger & B-Series
3
12-19-2011 12:20 AM
tom_delonge2289
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
5
02-10-2008 11:13 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overdrive in the 1950's


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.