1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

and another thing

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 07:45 AM
ragmans60
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and another thing

any ideas on what tools i should have in my shop for this project?
i will be doing all the prep work on the body, wiring, take apart and put back, engine and trans. install, changing out all the rubber moulding. installing brake kit and power steering. i won't be doing any work inside the engine.( best left to professionals).
thanks again

Old 11-23-2002, 09:08 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
and another thing

ragman

You'll need vice grips and some of them tie strap thingies fer sure. I'll probably think of more stuff later. Earl will surely be by and explain to you how to make your on screwdrivers. When he does, click on his webpage for some tool discussion.

While I am thinking, you might check back on a threads not long ago called "take it to the metal". That is a good batch of opinions on early stage bodywork. Bring some more specific questions forward if you can. You can type for days on the tool subject. A lot depends on whether you plan to do this as a long term hobby or not. There are expensive tools like a nice air compressor and air tools that I could not live without. Others can't justify the big purchase for a one use situation.

'fenders

Old 11-23-2002, 09:31 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
and another thing

1. Use air tools. Saves time and knuckles.

2. Throw away anything with a MM next to the size

3. Throw away anything with "Made in India", "Made in Taiwan" or "Made in China" on it. I can look at these sockets and split them!

4. Buy good chisels. (see 3 above)

5. Buy a good floor jack and jackstands

6. Buy good screwdrivers. I have bent or corkscrewed many a screwdriver. (see 3 above)

7. Join the Craftsman Tool Club. You get 10% off. After 8 years I am on pretty good terms with my local Sears tool guy. He thinks I am a beast for breaking so many ratchets. Don't have the heart to tell him a get a little assist from a 4 foot cheater bar!

8. Don't buy anything until you need it. I own a $50 hub puller that has never been used.

9. Don't buy pegboard! If your shop looks like it came out of the Ozzie and Harriet show no one will ever believe you will finish the project!

Best of Luck!

Old 11-23-2002, 10:48 AM
ragmans60
Freshman User
and another thing

already decided to get a good stand up compressor. i buy all my tools at sears. i like the idea of not buying til you need. leaves more money for goodies for the truck. thanks

Old 11-23-2002, 11:54 AM
41Clay
Elder User
and another thing

Hey, what about a cherry picker? This is one on the funnest tools I've ever owned. Wish I had one with off roading wheels. And you can never have too big of an air compressor. I've been to a shop where a gut had a flathead V8 where half the cylinders where comverted to compress air, now that's the kind of air I'm talking about. Hand grinders come in pretty handy too.

Old 11-23-2002, 11:59 AM
ragmans60
Freshman User
and another thing

Old 11-23-2002, 02:32 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
and another thing

Obviously, a motor stand, HD rated jack stands(don't even think of spending time under the truck unless these are GOOD stands), a creeper, LOTS of sanding paper of varying grit, wire cutters with crimper, maybe a soldering gun (wiring?), one of those screwdrivers that lights up or triggers a voltmeter needle when you have a hot lead (again, for wiring), a GOOD wiring kit (Painless is anything BUT painless; I'd recommend Ron Francis' kits), and most importantly: patience, a good buddy/assistant, and a shop manual.

Review the wiring kit first to see what other goodies you'll need as you go thru the steps of installation (silicon, grommets, etc). It is WELL worth the few hours it might take to do a dry-run walk through on the installation instructions FIRST before you start dicing and slicing. That way, you'll have all you need on hand and it will start flowing and progressing with greater ease and satisfaction.

Please be careful and safe! and good luck on your upcoming projects!!!
Daryl
59 F100 Styleside

Old 11-23-2002, 02:36 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
and another thing

all terrain cherry picker... that what you want ???

try this link... I just added the wheels to mine to do just that

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=379
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380

easy enough to do... 2" tubing and wheels from Harbor freight

john

Old 11-23-2002, 03:49 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
and another thing

John

That would be the trickest picker in town up North where it snows. You got tire chains for it.

Seriously though, my first major tool purchase would be an air compressor. The upright $400-500 models will get you by. 60-80 gal/6HP single stage. The 6HP rating is a laugh. They look like they would do anything you want. They are miserably short of ideal for sandblasting. I know I was disappointed anyway. They will get you through the project without spending a fortune anyway.

I don't have a cherry picker. I have borrowed them all my life. I have lots of nice tools I am willing to loan to anyone who will store a picker for me to use when I need it. I have never found anything more in my way. That why John keeps his in the outbuilding.

'fenders

Old 11-23-2002, 10:08 PM
41Clay
Elder User
and another thing

Yes! That man is a genus! Now if I can get the top to rotate for when it gets stuck in the mud so I won't have to push it over and...err, nevermind. Be safe with heavy stuff.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:24 PM
rebellforever
Senior User
Post and another thing

nice work john.
i dont got a hoist but i got alot of favors i can pull while i save my nuts.
dont wanna pick them up and sort them with abunch of other people.

swanny

Old 11-26-2002, 04:40 PM
ragmans60
Freshman User
and another thing

lotsa good ideas. and that's what i need now. thanks all.