1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

i need input

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 07:37 AM
ragmans60
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need input

it's been a while since i posted here. i've been doing a lot of reading, looking, thinking about how i want this project of mine to turn out. i figure it's better to know where i am going before i get started. this is where i am at so far.
351w/c6 or maybe aod
dakota digital gauge set
ron francis wiring harness
mp power disc brake kit
power steering (any ideas will be appreciated)
daytime running lights
rear roll pan ( don't know about the front yet)
under bed gas tank

now a question. does anybody know where i can find horsepower ratings for the various 351 engines. i figure if i start with the most horsepower, it will be easier, and cheaper to get to where i want to be ( 350 to 400hp).
also, i read in a post here that i can get a copy of my original build sheet by going to public relations at fords' website and sending them an e-mail asking for one. i went to the website but couldn't find public relations. maybe i went to the wrong place. help would be appreciated.
by the way, i really enjoy the posts here. you guys are nuts. keep it up. good luck earl.

Old 11-23-2002, 09:26 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
i need input

ragman

It does sound like quite a nice project. You will have to break the subjects down further for a fluid discussion. I can throw out a couple thoughts though.

I think the 351W is a great motor selection. To get that kind of power in a somewhat reliable format, you are looking at a stroker motor though. Paul (PCmenten) is very sharp on this subject. If you go to the smallblock engine forum, you will find loads of info on the subject from him and many others.

It's my opinion that this much engine demands IFS with great steering and brakes so do your homework in those areas for sure. There is lots of previous discussion here on many of your intended mods if you click on past pages or do a search.

good luck
'fenders

Old 11-23-2002, 10:27 AM
ragmans60
Freshman User
i need input

well, maybe 350 to 400 hp is a bit ambitious. may want to rethink that part. thanks

Old 11-23-2002, 11:00 AM
artman
Freshman User
i need input

when you go to ford.com type e-mail in the search field. It will take you to another page ask so and so , type e-mail in the search field it will bring up a form for you. good luck.
matt

Old 11-23-2002, 11:46 AM
41Clay
Elder User
i need input

I don't know if the Dakota Digital dashes are the same LEDs as in the production cars but I've been in couple cars where the suns glare on the dash took away all capabilities of reading the guages. But those would be fine.

Anyway, I think the 350hp can be reached if you build the engine on the high end with rollers and such. But if you want to build a cheap stroker there is a way that you can take a 400 crank and have the nose machined to fit. That may save you a little $ in the ways of a rotating assembly. And back to the high end horse power, as long as your not going to haul a lot of stuff it should suit you fine for these trucks weigh right around 3200lbs, more or less. Of course you don't really need 350hp with something this light to move, trust me on this one. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2002, 11:59 AM
ragmans60
Freshman User
i need input

that's what i'm thinking too. these trucks aren't very heavy. any body ever have any problems with dakota digital or ron francis? as always, thanks for the input.

Old 11-23-2002, 12:02 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
i need input

ragman

You are smart to realize you are better off with clear vision from the start. If you can define what you really want or need, we can be far more help. Are you going to drive to work, cruise regulary or very occasionally. Does it have to actually be fast or just look and sound like it's a little rowdy (my strategy by the way. Is 5 mpg OK or would you give things up to get 15 or more. Building just a show truck? What's the budget. Do you mind a truck that requires maintenance and tuning almost every time you drive. I have owned some very rowdy cars and trucks. I am very much over it now.

Keep in mind you'll get honest opinions here usually. I could tell you I love a truck totally smoothed with the bumpers gone but I'd be lying. Clayton is raising a valid issue on the digital guages. I have seen some that are really worthless in bright light. Whenever you radically stray from stock, do the research and beg for honest opinions. We have all fallen prey to a magazine truck or effective advertising at least once.

Finally, visit the blown budget thread that is down the page. Hear us now and believe us later!

'fenders

Old 11-23-2002, 12:13 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
i need input

I have Dakota Digital and they work like a top. Easy install and look great.

As it relates to bright light--Don't know as I haven't driven it yet in the sun. I have adjusted the brightness in the driveway and seems to be fine. We shall see!

Tim

Old 11-23-2002, 12:27 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
i need input

Tim

Sorry, I wasn't knocking your Dakota Brand guages in particular. I have seen others that stink in the light. I have seen others that were just unreliable. I wasn't clear enough. I guess the real point is know what you are buying, no matter what it is.

'fenders

Old 11-23-2002, 12:28 PM
ragmans60
Freshman User
i need input

this won't be a show truck nor will it be a daily driver. i have a 94 F-250 long bed super cab for that.(daily driver,that is) this is my hobby truck. i will drive it when i feel like driving it. i want to be able to take it on the road and feel comfortable and safe. i'm not planning on doing much to the exterior besides straightening dents and painting. i may have to replace some body parts, but nothing radical. i am more interested in enjoying my ride than hoping no one gets too close and puts a smudge on the hood. thanks again

Old 11-23-2002, 12:53 PM
ragmans60
Freshman User
i need input

p.s. i read the "blown budget" thread. i pretty much agree. i think there is no such thing as a realistic budget. you have to know how you want your truck to be when you're finished and be prepared to spend as much time and money as it takes. if you don't do it the way you want, then you won't be happy with the result. you just have to have a clear picture of what you're starting.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:02 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
i need input

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Nov-02 AT 04:09 PM (EST)]Earl,

Sounds like you're going to build a very nice machine! I'm impressed with the line-up of goodies, especially the 351/C6 combo and the Ron Francis wiring product. Excellent, excellent choices in my opinion (for what THAT's worth!).

Anyway, regarding the power steering: my mechanic used a Toyota PS unit. For my year (and apparently a good number of classic trucks of the 50's), Toyota is a good match up. Seems hypocritical I know, but when the pickin's get slim, you use whatcha can... or go without! Unless, of course, you are have the means ($) to put in a IFS clip, in which case there are MANY vialble alternatives.

Regarding the under-bed gas tank: I moved my tank from the standard spot behind the seat to behind the rear end melon under the bed. I purchased an Art Morrison 20-gal fuel cell then had brackets welded to cradle and hold the tank in place. Then it was a simple matter of re-routing the fuel lines to/from the fuel pump to the tank (don't forget the breather on the fuel tank). I then ran a gas filler neck to the driver's side quarter panel behind the rear tire and had a touch-activated door welded in (that's where I fill-er-up!).

The two things I could share with you that were oversights on my part are: (1) get a flatter tank (the dimensions of mine are a bit square and looks a bit "bulbous" from the back end; though you may be able to cover this up if you are doing a rear roll pan); and (2) decide which way you want the filler neck to come out (driver's side? passenger's side?) and make sure you buy a fuel tank that has the filler hole on the side near the top, not on the very top center like mine. I had a heck of a time routing a filler line between the top of the tank and under the bed then over to the filler neck. I actually had to have the new diamond-plate bed I had installed RAISED up a couple of inches to make room for the "elbow" over to the filler neck! Dowt!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps. A bit long-winded I know, but if it saves you some of the heartache I experienced, it's worth it! Take care, and good luck on your truck... sounds like it's gonna be a nice one!

P.S.- just noticed... check out the second reply to "Toyota PS help for a 59" post on this site. Has a reference to ProTech... an outfit that apparently has PS for FTE's.... C-ya!

Daryl

Old 11-26-2002, 04:52 PM
ragmans60
Freshman User
i need input

glad to hear that somebody likes ron francis. i first thought about using painless, but read enough things on this site to change my mind.i was thinking about an isuzu? gas tank. i'll have to look back through the posts to see if that is the right one. ain't this site great? everyone willing to help everyone else. where else but a ford site? thanks again to all. don't worry about being long winded. i appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Old 11-26-2002, 05:17 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i need input

Ragsman,

In your post you asked for a source for a chart or something that gives the HP ( & torque) for the various years of 351W engines (and what auto trannys are found in what yr/models).

As a matter of fact, I am putting the finishing touches on just such a chart right now. My hope is to submit it as a "tech article" to answer this exact type of request.

It's not really ready for prime time yet, but if you contact me off-line ( the_ferguson@sympatico.ca ) I might be able to help you out somewhat.

Regards,

Ferguson777

Old 11-26-2002, 06:41 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i need input