Computer Chips & Tuners  

scanning/tuning using OBD2

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Rcmgiasson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scanning/tuning using OBD2

My question deals with tuning and scanning using the OBD II port and a laptop. after researching some of the available options on the internet i am somewhat confused about the limitations associated with OBDII system. Some internet resources claim the OBD2 system to be for scanning the vehicle only while others claim that some tuning can also be done. I also notice that some companies sell hand held tunners that use the OBD2 port which leads me to believe that some tunning can be done this way. Another area which confuses me is that each company seems to sell their own cord for connection to the OBDII. Some cords look like a simple connection cord while others seem very complex (have a seperate box between the laptop and OBD2 port). The more complex cords seem to be associated with systems used primarly for tuning. will these cords work with any of the software or are they specific to a brand. Any information that could clear some of this confusion would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-22-2006, 07:44 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cord needs an interface adapter. Your computer can not talk directly to laptop. There are two ways to program the PCM, the ALDL port under the dash is the easiest. The other is the test port where a hard chip would reside. I have seen EEC-IV tools online, but the eec-V stuff you have to pay for. I use sniper special forces, it has a program I run on my PC or laptop to build a performance file, then I upload it to my interface or connect my pc to the interface and the interface to the port to write the prom.

Did you have a more specific question? There are several standards available for programming depending on what your trying to program.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Rcmgiasson
Senior User
I currently have a superchips chip in the truck, which is 97 f150 4x4 with the 4.6L by the way, and i don't know how much more power i can get above what programming the chip has already provided, if it was substantial i might consider the extra money for the programming capability.

As far as the using a laptop as a scanning tool through the OBD2 port under the dash, does this still require an interface adapter. I see software for as low as 150$ that appears to have a simple cord that just connects the laptop to the port under the dash. this software claims that you can monitor all sensors, rpm, speed and such in real time while driving.

I appologize in advance as i have very limited knowledge on how computers actually work, i just purchased a laptop and was wondering what i could all do with it in an automotive since. thanks again.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I have yet to see a cable that can interface a Ford to a PC nicely. I guess if it was a USB plug it might be doable, but I haven't tried one yet. Check the sensors it can read for fords, there are a lot of generics, but you will want to have the proprietary stuff as well.

I think I can feel a difference when I went from a microtuner (superchips) to Sniper special forces. When thier data logging comes out, it will be one heck of a system.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Rcmgiasson
Senior User
Does this Sniper special forces kit have full diagnostic capabilities too or is it strickly a tuning/programming set up. Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:58 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
So far it is only tuning, but they have a datalogging/DTC suite in the works. If it's half of what thier inhouse tuner is, it will be really cool.