6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Trade In question:

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:14 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enomra
duramaximizer: you obviosly have never experienced the Torque shift. I have two friends that have Dmax's and one has the LBZ like yours and they are very impressed with the Torque shift trany's. Of course that would mean looking at it with open eyes and for some that is impossible. I will agree that the Allison is a huge improvement over the old trany's Ford and Chevy used to offer. Ask the techs they will tell you that they hardly ever touch the Torque shift trany's. Until chevy goes the one piece front axle they will always fall short on strength and reliability when it comes to the suspension and axles.. When Hp and Torque are equal the Ford will out pull the Chevy and that is because of the trany getting the power to the rear wheels. This is one reason that Ford has not increased the Hp and Torque #s they didn't need to. My guess is that in 07 chevy wont offer the lbz because the new regulations wont allow it.
The LBZ is being replaced by the LMM which has more EPA required equipment. It's HP/Torque numbers are a nominal improvement over the LBZ. Chevy lovers are in denial over the Torqueshift. It is probably the most reliable auto trans out there. I see almost zero complaints about it. They think the Allyson is the doall, end all and it isn't. It's good but the only advantage it has over torqueshift is 6 speed vs 5. Reliablility is probably the same or better on the Torqueshift. Shifts are smooth and timely. It's a really fantastic piece of equipment. The LBZ DMAX is superior to the 6.0 however. Earlier DMAX models have nowhere near the power of the LBZ and have major issues the GM guys don't like to talk about, including major overheating issues and big injector problems.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:52 PM
killaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Enomra
I have two friends that have Dmax's and one has the LBZ like yours and they are very impressed with the Torque shift trany's.

i drive a '05 Duramaxipad every day at work. there is no comparo. the torquechit spanks the Ally, especially in shifting.

Last edited by killaford; 11-10-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:21 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by moldman7n
The LBZ is being replaced by the LMM which has more EPA required equipment. It's HP/Torque numbers are a nominal improvement over the LBZ. Chevy lovers are in denial over the Torqueshift. It is probably the most reliable auto trans out there. I see almost zero complaints about it. They think the Allyson is the doall, end all and it isn't. It's good but the only advantage it has over torqueshift is 6 speed vs 5. Reliablility is probably the same or better on the Torqueshift. Shifts are smooth and timely. It's a really fantastic piece of equipment. The LBZ DMAX is superior to the 6.0 however. Earlier DMAX models have nowhere near the power of the LBZ and have major issues the GM guys don't like to talk about, including major overheating issues and big injector problems.
The proposed LMM hp torque numbers come from the saposed stock 4 inch exhaust over the 3.5.

The torqueshift is fine, I never said it wasn't, but I am not going to give up six speeds to go back to 5. The allison does down hill brake, which the torqueshift doesn't. The allison shifts like an allison, and they are not phazed in, but are very firm. I have yet to see real proof that the torqueshift puts anymore hp to the ground than the allison, as I have seen them both dino with my own 2 eyes, on the very same day, dino, and conditions. They both took about 50+or- hp in stock form. I don't care who posts what dino sheets.

The overheaters LLY are the only problem, and I will admit to that. But the injectors are covered to 200k miles. So it isn't hurting resale near as bad as I have seen the 6.0 stigma hang over ford's head. That is like the pot calling the kettle black.

The new LMM has more EGR and a DPF, otherwise it is easy to assume that it is basically a modified LBZ with 4 inch exaust. We won't know for sure until it is out.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
The torqueshift is fine, I never said it wasn't, but I am not going to give up six speeds to go back to 5. The allison does down hill brake, which the torqueshift doesn't. The allison shifts like an allison, and they are not phazed in, but are very firm.
How can you give up a 6 speed you don't even have? (LB7, right?) You really need to drive a Torqshift to appreciate the shifting, it'll shift smooth when there's little load and does the exact same feeling shift the Ally does when under load. One interesting thing, all power and number of gears aside, my PSD will hold a taller gear far longer and is more luggable than the Dmax/Ally ever was -- whenever I'd get down below 1500 rpm in the Chevy and start to roll on the throttle, the dang thing'd downshift every time (this is with a load). My PSD will easily lug to 1300 rpms and roll out of it. I don't feel the need for an extra overdrive gear like the 6 speed Ally gives you (which is all it is), since my PSD turns the same, or close to it, fwy RPM an LBZ with 6 speed Ally does: 1600 or a little less at 60 mph.

And I do not have a clue as to where you got that part about the Ally downhill braking and the Torqshift not! The Torqshift WAY outshines the Ally in the downhill engine braking dept. It shifts when you expect it to and has NO surprises -- the Ally, well, it just acts like somebody else's transmission hung behind the Dmax doing it's own thing with it's own brain (which is what it is and what it has).

Seriously, go drive one (a PSD TS) and put it through the same tests back to back with your Ally/Dmax (like I have done) and get back to us on your unbiased thoughts...

Last edited by diesel_dan; 11-10-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:57 PM
killaford
Elder User
again we completely agree Dan!

and the larger tires makes up for 1 less gear.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
It must be 'cause we both like silver...! At least I have the lower part silver, oh that's right, that's one of those unimportant options you CAN'T get on a Chevy...

oh yeah, ask my 5' 3" wife if she thinks adjustable pedals are a nice feature...

Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
The options thing is a 2 way street, you can get a lot of options on a chevy that you can't get on a ford, so that is pointless.
I overlooked this the 1st time. And those options would be?? Big Brother ON STAR maybe? I followed the directions on DP and disabled mine, thanks... Otherwise, the GM product is very similar to the Dodge product in a complete lack of options compared to Ford...

Old 11-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Customz
Postmaster
The proposed LMM hp torque numbers come from the saposed stock 4 inch exhaust over the 3.5.

The torqueshift is fine, I never said it wasn't, but I am not going to give up six speeds to go back to 5. The allison does down hill brake, which the torqueshift doesn't. The allison shifts like an allison, and they are not phazed in, but are very firm. I have yet to see real proof that the torqueshift puts anymore hp to the ground than the allison, as I have seen them both dino with my own 2 eyes, on the very same day, dino, and conditions. They both took about 50+or- hp in stock form. I don't care who posts what dino sheets.

The overheaters LLY are the only problem, and I will admit to that. But the injectors are covered to 200k miles. So it isn't hurting resale near as bad as I have seen the 6.0 stigma hang over ford's head. That is like the pot calling the kettle black.

The new LMM has more EGR and a DPF, otherwise it is easy to assume that it is basically a modified LBZ with 4 inch exaust. We won't know for sure until it is out.
Your ignorance becomes more and more apparent with every post. Seems as if the Ford boys know more about your truck, options and models than you do. Simple things like calling a dynamometer a dino has destroyed your credibility and it is obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:52 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Well, first off I want to see your (sorry) dyno sheets of how the ford puts more hp to the ground % wise than the gm. I have seen this thread before, and the number posted are a hoax compared to what I have seen.

There are a variety of things sunroof, XM, onstar is sweet because just for the purchase price, I can have someone looking over me even if I don't pay the monthly fee.

I have driven a powerstroke with the torqueshift. I didn't say I did have a 6 speed, I said I wouldn't give it up. Meaning that I wouldn't buy a new ford with a 5 speed when GM has a clear advantage by having 6.

Tire size is relevent stock, but few people keep the stock tires anyway after they wear out, and a lot of guys even go to 285's.

I always noticed the 2 tone thing of ford's, and I never really thought it was cool. It looks like someone was trying to make it easy to cover up the rust latter on in life, or trying to hide the mud on the bottom. I honestly think it looks tacky.

Also, the last time I looked on an order form, I did see bedliners, running boards, mud flaps, hard covers and other things that I wouldn't order from GM, as the aftermarket does a lot better job and with better quality like Putco.

Funny, edmunds truck review that you guys cling to so highly even said that they thought that the Duramax Allison out did the PSD Torqueshift. Those guys are known to be Ford biased, because they drive Fords. Even they thought the D/A combo was the best. That is your own camp denying you.

On Edit: This is way off topic (resale value) JD power seems to think the D/A has the best resale value of the big 3 in the truck arena the last time I looked it up. But I have not done comparitive checks in the KBB.

Last edited by duramaximizer; 11-11-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Well, first off I want to see your (sorry) dyno sheets of how the ford puts more hp to the ground % wise than the gm. I have seen this thread before, and the number posted are a hoax compared to what I have seen.

There are a variety of things sunroof, XM, onstar is sweet because just for the purchase price, I can have someone looking over me even if I don't pay the monthly fee.

I have driven a powerstroke with the torqueshift. I didn't say I did have a 6 speed, I said I wouldn't give it up. Meaning that I wouldn't buy a new ford with a 5 speed when GM has a clear advantage by having 6.

Tire size is relevent stock, but few people keep the stock tires anyway after they wear out, and a lot of guys even go to 285's.

I always noticed the 2 tone thing of ford's, and I never really thought it was cool. It looks like someone was trying to make it easy to cover up the rust latter on in life, or trying to hide the mud on the bottom. I honestly think it looks tacky.

Also, the last time I looked on an order form, I did see bedliners, running boards, mud flaps, hard covers and other things that I wouldn't order from GM, as the aftermarket does a lot better job and with better quality like Putco.

Funny, edmunds truck review that you guys cling to so highly even said that they thought that the Duramax Allison out did the PSD Torqueshift. Those guys are known to be Ford biased, because they drive Fords. Even they thought the D/A combo was the best. That is your own camp denying you.

On Edit: This is way off topic (resale value) JD power seems to think the D/A has the best resale value of the big 3 in the truck arena the last time I looked it up. But I have not done comparitive checks in the KBB.
The Edmunds test is totally without merit because the imbeciles that did it decided to do it with each truck towing a different weight. TOTAL and COMPLETE BS. Even the GM guys were upset by that test because they wanted total undesputed bragging rights. I'm sure the LBZ can outpull the 6.0 I can read specs. The point is it's only about 15% more powerful stock. The wild claims of GM owners are funny as they are so ignorant. My truck came with sunroof, power rear slider, adjustable pedals, tow command, limited slip, 6 cd changer, two tone paint which looks awesome, camper package, snow plow package, etc, etc. In short everything I wanted or needed and then some. The newer Chevy trucks are so hideous as to not be even a serious contender in my book. I will NOT drive anything that looks like that, PERIOD. I wouldn't consider the new GMC either as it looks like a Chinese Knock-off of a Superduty. Chevy had a nice looking truck in the 80's and 90's , I have no idea who the idiot is that went with the current design but it's costing them a lot of sales. I even hear guys that own them say the things are butt ugly, but they don't like Ford or Dodge.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:24 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Duramaximizer:That's it? That's all you can come up with?! Fords have sunroofs as an option (if you did your homework you'd know this). So you're down to XM and BlondStar -- the stereotype that really needs such a thing: "oh, I locked my keys in the car, better call BlondStar; oops, I guess I locked my cell phone in there too...". That's why Ford has an optional keypad on the door (can't get that on a Chevy or Dodge either).

As far as having someone look over your shoulder, it's waaaay worse than that: you think all they can do is audit your truck in the driveway and tell you when it's time for maintenance?! Brother, that system is far more capable than any of you GMers would want to know about. How about an overnight reflash? How about shutting you down (or not letting you start) because you didn't make a payment? Or maybe just sending you a registered letter that your warranty is now void because they know you've loaded that performance program. I could go on, but you'll just go into BlondStar denial mode -- your own croud has a lot of controversy over this one, and I'm on the side of it's already too much intrusion into my privacy than any supposed benefit. SO I guess I'd pick a GM truck because it has XM. Right...

Fine, go pay the same money and get a whole lot less, Your Chevy's are more like a Dodge in that the engine (and in your case the trans too) get lost in the overall lack of a package delivered. It'd cost thousands to add back in to a GM the options I got at that same MSRP. Oh yeah, and I got a whole heck of a lot tougher truck, not to mention better looking .

Finally, do your homework on "your" 6 speed. It's just an extra overdrive added to a trans that should have been geared taller in a 5 speed in the 1st place (what to do with all that torque anyway...).

I think I'm about done wasting my time with you as well. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and I voted with my wallet and got the better truck after trying what GM had to offer...

Old 11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Here is my tacky two-tone paint job. Oh what an ugly truck. I should have bought the Chevy. Buyers remorse so bad. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...9-30-06109.jpg

Old 11-11-2006, 01:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Suweeet!! Gawd, I just can't believe we ever bought one of those Chevys with that slanty-eye headlight look. I used to hang my head whenever a Ford rumbled by (I'd have to look up to see them anyway, since the Dmax is such a lowrider...)

Fords just look so good...

Old 11-11-2006, 02:07 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
oh ya onstar bothers me tons, they are always watching me. LOL not. the government monitors all of your phone conversations, and you are worried about onstar and a non government organiszation esp when they have camera as most big city traffic lights.

So basically you have a truck that sets taller, has a 2 tone paint, and is "better looking".

I'll take resale value, hp, a 200k mile injector warranty, a 100k warranty on drive train, the ability to modify the motor to reliable insane hp levels, comfort, "lowrider", "ugly styled" and the peace of mind in a GM. I gladly accept the GMs advantages with it's disadvantages. The question is can you?

BTW the new ford has dual climate control.....something GM has had for a few years now.

Also moldman7 is that you on dieselplace? LoL

Old 11-11-2006, 02:08 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Thanks Dan.

Quick Reply: Trade In question: