E4OD mechanic can't rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Kallie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool E4OD mechanic can't rebuild?

I am at a loss the mechanic has had my truck for 8 mos now and claims he only works on periodically. All's I know is that he has rebuilt my tranny 4 or more times. He did have a real hard time just getting it put together he had to do the upgrade and he was adding a shift kit originally. He claims other techs have told him these are all a pain in the ***! Which doesn't matter to me, he said he could do it. The first 2 times it wouldn't go together the 3rd time it wouldn't shift automatically but would shift manually. The the next times he wouldn't shift at all and had no pressure. I have been told maybe the check ***** were put in the wrong place. The he said I have a crack in the case so he replaced and it still doesn't work and he said it is because while he has had it the tilt column which was a little loose broke and he replaced it as well as the computer that he said was burndt was replaced with a new. What it come down to is he said the column had a wireing problem and that is why it didn't ever work. The most amazing thing is I had parked it 6 months before taking it to him waiting for tax return and when we started it up it started easy on the 1st try and the tranny didn't slip at all the 35 miles to his shop and I was just going to take home but my Husband said no just get it done now. The other thing is it had just started slipping in 2nd gear a little. Well I just bought a used one and told him just to put it in and he said well that one might no work either! It has 120000 on it and worked great in 92 f-150 like mine they are just converting it to a stick. Does his story sound right or do I just have an idiot for mechanic? Someone give me some ideas. I chose not to rebuild cuz I'm out of money and I don't trust him. I told him to replace the front pump seal, filter, and don't touch anything else and it does have a new torque converter.
Does anyone think this might work? Help
Thanks,
Kallie

Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kallie
do I just have an idiot for mechanic?
There's your problem. You must be the most trusting person in the world. I would have ended this at least 7 months ago.

You need someone that knows how to rebuild a trans. He doesn't know how.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:47 AM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
That tranny is no where near hard to rebuild! In school they had all the students tear down and reassemble that tranny, it took me and a partner 1 day to compeletly tear down, clean and put it together again.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:34 PM
fordfaninIL.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure hope that you have not payed this guy anything because he has not done anything to be payed for. This guy is raking you over. Chances are that the used one will end up like the first. I suggest that you retrieve the first tranny from this guy, even if it is in a box, the second tranny, and the truck and take it to a reputable tranny shop or mech.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:57 PM
kotzy
Elder User
The e40d isn't all that bad to work on, except that it requires tools too assemble the
clutch pistons. I would guess this guy doesn't want to spend the money to get
what he needs and if thats the case he shouldn't take the job. He knows he will be doing it over without them.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:16 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
You can get by without the specialized tools to assemble the pistons, you just have to be careful not to damage them is all. Our teacher even went through the way to do it without the tools in case we were rebuilding one at home or in a shop without the tools.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
WarWagon
Senior User
I have found that a lot of shops steer away from rebuilding the E4OD. Most around here just buy a unit from Ford and swap them out. For them it is less of a hassle and it carries a 30K warranty. We swapped on out when my son's truck trans died. The trans from ford was 1800 and took a few hours to do.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Kallie
Senior User
My problem go worse today. He told my Husband he won't touch it now because he heard that I had bad mouthed him and you don't do that!. Well then my Husband said he would have to have it towed out and the mechanic said not without paying me! I paid him $500.00 upfront then they said the torque converter was more than they thought so they needed $300.00 more so we did this was all in the 1st 2 weeks and mind you he said the whole job would be $900.00 now I talked to his wife because she does the books and he refuses to talk to me and she has like $1200.00 more. Well he won't give the truck back and ofcourse because I am so trusting I have misplaced the cash receipts, it has been 7mos. I also paid for the column and the computer. I guess I will be loosing my pride and joy and be forever driving a Honda Passport aka Izuzu Rodeo. I was told maybe I can sue but without receipts I am#*#*#*#*#*!!!! Well thank you for all your advice. I think I have learned a lesson that I didn't want to and that is don't trust anyone.
Kallie

Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Wicky Mustang your instructor has a way to get the piston into the clutch drums on an e40d share that with me because at least one of them is so close you can't run anything around it get it started.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 AM
1987_f150
Senior User
Originally Posted by wickymustang
That tranny is no where near hard to rebuild! In school they had all the students tear down and reassemble that tranny, it took me and a partner 1 day to compeletly tear down, clean and put it together again.
heh...took me about 2 weeks to put the needle bearings back in....

Old 10-10-2006, 09:34 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
You need to go and see your local magistrate. If it's not fixed you owe him nothing & he more than likely owes you what money you gave him back.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:43 PM
cyber_06_wolf
New User
kotzy, I rebuilt my e40d in my school shop without the use of any special tools. The clutch pistons, if I'm thinking of the right thing, you are talking about the big plastic pistons right? They are pretty easy. To get them out you can just put a lil air pressure on the feed port. Putting them back in, I used feeler gauges and went all the way around it tucking the o-ring in. Kallie, as far as that goes, the man is pretty obviously a scam artist or retarded. No way in hell your steering column just broke, he shouldnt even have to touch it to remove the tranny. Also, the E40D is all mechanical linkage to the steering column, even the shift indicator, therefore, there was no wiring problem in the column. I would definetly look into a city official. Even without your receipts they should have all purchases and customer accounts on file.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
therigwelder
Tuned
read my post about e4ods.they are pure junk.at least in work trucks my opinion

Old 10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
cyber_06_wolf
New User
lol, no mass produced transmission is a piece of junk. Any transmission whether it be GM, Ford, Chrysler or even the ricers are decent tranny's until they break. The E40D is just very picky about how you rebuild it. Also, it's one of the transmissions where you should replace every part you can afford. They used the E40D in almost every automatic f-series truck, including the 450. My dad had a 450 that was a service truck, 4wd with E40D, lasted other 200k on original tranny, but it was fleet maintained.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:21 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
After taking the loser mechanic to court (digital pictures and other mechanics opinion are a good idea) I'd buy a remanned tranny and install that.
A volume rebuilder has a two key advantages over a non-transmission shop ghetto rebuilder. Those are a LARGE organ donor pile and plenty of repeated experience.
The other way is to get a tranny from a clean wreck. I like wrecks for organ donors because the damage proves they were moving when they met their end.

Quick Reply: E4OD mechanic can't rebuild?