6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lifted F250 has wobble in sterring wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
cajun_driller
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifted F250 has wobble in sterring wheel

I posted this on another forum and this is what the responses were:
(I do think the member that offered the replies knows what he's talking about as he is a well respected member, but I don't like the steering)

ME: Just had my lift kit installed. There seems to be some play in the steering wheel that wasn't there before. Backcountry with Procomp 35 inch tires, rear springs and high mount steering stabilizer. Is this normal or a bad install job? Also the steering wheel is not straight and there is a slight wobble at 50 miles Per hour. I paid someone to install it, mount and balance tires and alignment. I later found that they did not put the track bar bolt back on. Scary!!

MEMBER: The additional angle on the drag link (steering linkage) means that there will be a couple degrees more rotation of the wheel for a given turn. It's not "play" just something to get used to on a lifted vehicle. At the same time, the stabilizer will numb the steering a bit. You're likely going to need a week or so to get used to the way the truck steers with the added angle and stabilization. The steering being off-center is a sign they did not extend the drag-link properly after installing. There's a threaded clamp that holds the upper tie-rod end to the pitman arm and the other end threads over the drag-link that extends to the knuckle. that sleeve needs to be loosened and rotated until the steering wheel is straight driving on a flat road. You can then ensure tie-rod alignment and tighten it back down. As for a vibration over 50mph, sounds like an unbalanced wheel/tire to me.

ME: That explains a few things. But I do not think the play i'm referring to has anything to do with the revolutions per turn of the steering wheel. For example if I'm driving down the road have to change direction, The steering wheel will move a few degrees before it actually "catches". Also going over a curb at low speed, it feels like the tire will bump or move without any feel or movement in the steering wheel.

MEMBER: That's always been the case... The tie-rod ends will rotate before their point of engagement hits and the linkage locks and moves. That's just part of most non rack and pinion steering systems. As for the going over curbs and small obstacles, that sounds like a combination of larger tires and our stabilizer absorbing road forces rather than transmitting them to your steering.

ME: Is it possible that the track bar was not adjusted correctly? The company that installed the kit left me with very little confidence. They kept my truck for a week then rushed the tire mounting and balancing and alignment. Took them a week to install kit, half an hour to mount tires, and 10 minutes to align it. The truck does ride straight, but does have a small amount of wobble in the steering wheel while driving.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten up my steering? I do not have a drop pitman arm, but do have an adjustable track bar (Carli lift).
Please help!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The one clue that I found in all of your post was that the installer "left the track bar bolt out". The track bar gets torqued to something crazy over 400 ft/lbs and the steering play that you describe sounds like a classic loose track bar symptom. It sounds almost too simple, but have somebody work the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the track bar and suspension in general. My bet is a loose track bar bolt or maybe even track bar relocation bracket.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM
cajun_driller
New User
Thanks Matt! I guess I should have been more specific - it's not the nut that locks the adjustment on the adjustable track bar, it's the nut the goes on the bolt that secures the track bar on the drivers side. But I'm hoping it is a track bar ajustment issue and that the jack***'s that installed my kit just didn't do the adjustment correctly. Planning on getting to a Ford dearlership and have them check everything and rebalance the tires and realign it. I'm just hoping this will help my steering. Thanks again for the reply!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
XXLTexan
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure you know now this now if not all along but I'm going to write it anyway because I'm going somewhere. ANY Carli kit (and most all bolt on kits I can think of) take 3-5 hours to install and torque to recommended specs w/o mount, balance, and alignment if they are ready and everything is there. What the HECK took a week to install? The reason I ask is because as you can see in my sig, I had an '05 Dodge that I had a KORE kit put on back then. "They" (a local shop in DFW no longer in business as they are/were in jail) took a week to install it and were so nice they gave me a brand new dually to drive around because they felt bad that took so long. I found out years later that "they" with the help of two rouge police officers were having keys cut and aftermarket alarm key fobs programmed on the vehicles they were working on, and then stealing the vehicles after a waiting period as to avoid suspicion. When they found my Dodge everything of value including the motor,tranny,suspension, and all of the interior had been professionally removed and was then covered in mineral oil to remove prints. Like I said I found this out much later but was told they literally just walked up to the vehicle they worked on, opened it with an new fob, started it with a new key, and drove away with a key and no smashed window. The ones they couldn't have keys cut for would have external kill switches added like behnid the plastic in fender well or on the frame out of sight and they would kill em and tow em like they were getting repo'd. A local police officer that worked car theft said it was getting more common with modern vehicles and reccomended removing all valuables and keys, and giving anybody thats works on your vehicle a bogus address. Can't do much about the license plate and registration but may as well help them as little as possible. I don't think I'm being an alarmist but at the same time Really enjoyed my brand new shiny stuff (that was not insured at the time and very expensive) until I woke up one morning to my wife asking me where my truck was.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
cajun_driller
New User
Holy Crap! That sucks! Luckily I'm out of state for work 75% of the time so I'm not home often. Will have to do a little checking on the company.