Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Engine Grinding Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Grinding Sound?

My cousin's trucking company routed him through town today so I thought I'd meet up with him. I started up the pickup, she started hard and ran a little rough but I got her goin. It was overcast today but I gave her plenty of time to warm up. Anyhow, I drove about 7 miles to the 4 way and as I pushed in the clutch to slow down for the stop; I heard a grinding noise from my engine/transmission. Not a loud growl but noticeable. This was just from pushing in the clutch and braking a little. At first I thought it was my transmission but she rides just fine. A few hours later I went back to town to drop my cousin off so he could get back on the road and the truck made the same sound again. I don't know what is going on but I know that sound can't be good news...Any ideas of what could be going on?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 PM
dwaymar
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check throw out bearing sounds like one to me

Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
how exactly would I check the throw out bearing?

Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 AM
dwaymar
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
really only way is to start truck up and start pushing the cluch in if you hear or feel anything stang then thats where to start some of the older ones you could pull the inspection cover off the flywheel and the had a zert but most all is sealed bearings now days good luck

Old 10-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
I don't have time tonight to check on it. Tomorrow I will take a look and see what I can find. Thanks

-Dave

Old 10-05-2006, 04:46 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may get away with just lubrication for a while.........gotta stick your greasy paw in there and lube it up..

Old 10-05-2006, 08:53 AM
IHWillys
Freshman User
If the noise starts immediately upon application of pressure on the clutch pedal, and only makes noise when pushing on the clutch pedal, it's the throw-out bearing. However, if you can press on the pedal a bit and the noise doesn't start immediately, it would point to the pilot bearing. Both the throw-out and the pilot will only make noise when the clutch is in the process of being disengaged or when it is fully disengaged. It's just that the pilot starts spinning a bit after the throw-out. Usually, it's the throw-out.

Ken

Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
I don't exactly have the funds to get it replaced right away. How long before this becomes a bigger problem?

Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM
IHWillys
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dave7.3
I don't exactly have the funds to get it replaced right away. How long before this becomes a bigger problem?
It could go a very long time simply because it only is getting used while the clutch is disengaged. With this knowledge you can change your driving habits to minimize the time the throw-out/pilot bearings are being 'used'. The biggest would be to not sit at a red light with it in gear and your foot on the clutch(I don't do that anyway but lots of folks do). Put it in neutral and let the clutch out.

I've driven multiple vehicles for years with noisy throw-out bearings.

Unless you know the other parts of the clutch system are newer, drive it while you save up enough to do the whole thing at once: pilot, throw-out, disc, pressure plate, flywheel surface. This will also allow you to watch ebay and similar for a good deal on these parts and hoard them until you have the time(or cash to pay someone else) to do it. Not a bad idea to inspect/replace the engine rear main and trans input seal as well while you're in there. If on a very tight budget and a full clutch job just isn't in the picture, the throw-out is not an expensive part and it can damage the pressure plate if it gets really bad, so replacing it sooner than later would be wise. But it's a lot of labor to replace a ~$20 throw-out bearing, thus the common practice of doing the whole clutch at one time.

Ken

Old 10-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Thanks IHWillys. Now that I have an idea what to do I'll see what I can come up with. When I got my truck's starter replaced, a friend of mine in the shop took a look at the clutch system and said it was in good shape. So I think I will just get a new throw out bearing for now. I know a mechanic who owes me some help so I have that covered. Just the part I have to get. Well, thanks guys for the help and I'll let ya know how it turns out.

-Dave