martin-senour 2kfiller primer help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:16 PM
1978fordf250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
martin-senour 2kfiller primer help!

ok guys my bodywork is about done and i am happy with it smiles. Now I am ready to start spraying the filler primer on it and start blocking. WHat all do i need to know how to spray this primer? It is Martin-senour 2k filler primer. I know it is mixed 4:1. Will i need a different tip for spray guy to spray it or not?
thanks,
jimmy
PS anytips and help will be very apriciated!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:26 AM
1978fordf250
Posting Guru
also on the mixing cut can someone help refresh me how to read one of them?
thanks,
jimmy

Old 10-02-2006, 11:27 AM
1978fordf250
Posting Guru
also on the mixing cup can someone help refresh me how to read one of them?
thanks,
jimmy

Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
What size tip is in your gun. I don't know how thick that primer is when mixed or the size of the tip you are using. As far as mixing, you pour in to say four times as much primer as hardener. Say you fill with 20 ounces of primer, 1/4 of 20 is 5, so fill to 20 onces first with primer and then add 5 ounces of hardener for a total of 25 oz. Some mixing cup and mixing sticks already have a section that is marked as 4:1. then if you fill to say 4 marks on the first line, fill to the 4 mark on the line next to it. (the marks on different lines won't have the same amount of space betwen them. Really hard to explain, I'll see if I can find a pic to demonstrate it.
If your primer is too thick to spray through your gun well, there is no reason that you couldn't reduce it some (within reason, 25% or less) with a urethane grade reducer. The mix ratio then would be something like 4 parts primer, 1 part activator, 1 part reducer. I would use a slow reducer and allow plenty of time between coat to prevent solvent buildup.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:13 PM
kenseth17
Elder User

Okay if you have a graduated paint mixing cup with different ratios, you want to find a section with 4:1:1 ratio. Say the amount you want to mix up is about to the 4 on the last line under that ratio. You would first pour in your primer till it reached the 4 on the first line, then your activator till it got to the 4 on the second line, and if adding reducer, add till it gets to the 4 on the third line. Just pick a number that is about the amount you want mixed and go to that number with the primer, then the activator and then reducer. Stir it well. The amount of reducer if you want to add a litlle past or under the line, no real biggie, depending on how much you want to thin it, but the primer and activator you should pour as exact as possible to the line. If you were just pouring into a cup that had equal spaced lines without different sections for different mix ratios or just ounces marked off, then you would want 4 times as much primer as activator.

Last edited by kenseth17; 10-02-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:42 AM
1978fordf250
Posting Guru
ok thank you very much yeah i thought thats how it worked but just wanted to be sure i really apriciate your help. also i dont know what size tip the gun is. it is jsut a gun we had laying around for i dont know how long.
thanks,
Jimmy
I read everything up on this gun and it does not say anythign about fluid tip. i know it come with 2 tips tho. One is a internal mix, pressure feed of heavy materials also the other one is a external mix, pressure feed for latex applications. this is not the guy i am going to shoot paint or clear with (unless it works very well) but i would liek to use it for primer. they say its a heavy duty gun. what tip do i use? also will i need to add thinner to my paint? What kidn of tinner do i need? just paint thinner will work? whenever i bought the primer i picked up a gal of there best paint thinner they had. Please let me know!
thanks,
jimmy

Old 10-03-2006, 05:51 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
I have an old sharpe and old devilbiss conventional guns I use for my primers. Think the sharpe has around a 1.6 and the devilbiss a 1.8 mm if I remember correctly. Epoxy primer you shoudn't be too much of a problem with a gun that will shoot basecoat and clear well (most use around a 1.4) with a little reduction if needed, but urethane fill primer needs a decent size tip to spray through. pressure feeds I believe run a little smaller on tip sizes to put out the same thickness of material as a non pressure feed. It sounds like your gun was made for spraying thick materials. Hopefully it will spray your primer and lay it out decent. I guess you can only try and see. I'd use the internal mix, You need to read the product sheet and use the reducer they recommend. A urethane grade reducer for urethane primer. Not all are created equal. A expensive one like the deltron has better solvents then their low line Omni stuff, which is why you shouldn't use omni reducers in their deltron line. I am not familar with sherwin williams but other paint manufactures I have used cheaper reducers in primer before and it worked okay, but you should make sure it is a urethane grade. To prevent any problems though, I would read the product sheets for the primer and paint you are using and use the recommended reducers. Sherwin Williams website should have them you can find online. All basecoat I've used has needed reduction. Some clears are only activated but can be reduced some with a good grade of reducer if needed. If the basecoat uses an activated reducer at all like dupont chromabase does, then I would use the correct stuff and not mess around using another brand of reducer in the base. I am not familar with sherwin williams, so can't help you much with their products. You can't just use any old cheap paint thinner like you find in the hardware store for brush cleanup and varnish. For gun cleanup a cheaper lacquer primer will do.A cheap paint thinner from the hardware store will likely just curdle the paint up in the cup not being a strong enough grade of solvent.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:45 AM
1978fordf250
Posting Guru
I am using senour Martin Paint from napa. I bought the thinner from there also. On the frotn of the can it shows a spray gun on it and it is called "Refinishers Premier 2100" then below that it says Fast Lacquer Thinner 100% Virgin Solvents UN 1263 For Industrial/ Automotive Professional Use Only The part number for it is 2100-1

Thanks,
Jimmy
PS I gues only way i will find out is try it soon. I might try it today. I am kinda nervous because i never messed around with much of any of this stuff (i have painted a truck before with my buddy) but he helped and showed me everything. This time I am alone by myself.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:13 PM
fordpilot
Senior User
Paint manufacturers tend to call out 1.6 to 1.8 for hvlp tip sizes for primer and
1.4 for color and clear. With primer the tip size is not to important. I have
used 1.4 for primer and it works fine.

The Martin Senour line is good stuff..and it is easily available. All of their
products have a TDS or technical data sheet available. I think now they
are on line. Your local napa dealer will have then in his sales book and
if you ask will probably let you copy them.

Good luck on your project...and don't worry about being nervous. For some
reason the first gun time scares people to death. I just talked to a guy who
was about ready to paint for the first time and he said just thinking about
it made his knees knock...so he going to tow his nicely prepped frame off
restoration to a shop and let them do the actual color shooting.

Good Luck