6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Superchips Flashpaq 1805......Tow/Haul?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchips Flashpaq 1805......Tow/Haul?????

Anyone have any real use information on how the new Superchips Flashpaq 1805 performs, preferably in Tow Safe program and in Tow/Haul mode, pulling a heavy load. How does the TorqueShift transmission perform and have you seen any issues? Please don't use this as a mod/no mod forum, just responses from actual use please.

Thanks,

Fred

Old 09-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FSeybert
Anyone have any real use information on how the new Superchips Flashpaq 1805 performs, preferably in Tow Safe program and in Tow/Haul mode, pulling a heavy load. How does the TorqueShift transmission perform and have you seen any issues? Please don't use this as a mod/no mod forum, just responses from actual use please.

Thanks,

Fred
It works great.

While I was there, I custom wrote the shift tables when in tow/haul mode to work with the added power.
They are, of course, different from the shift tables when tow/haul mode is off.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:59 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
There you have it. If anyone would know it would be Vic. lol

Old 09-29-2006, 06:03 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
I used the FlashPaq1805 for about a year and it worked just as expected in Tow/Haul mode. I used SuperChips for a long time and they always worked nicely. I'm not sure if the custom tunes have come out yet for them, but that will make it even better.

Don't forget about the SCT XCAL2...They already do custom tunes that enable you to turn off your EGR and one really cool feature for Tow/Haul mode is the ExhaustBrake feature. It works like a dream...The SCT and the FlashPaq are the two safest programmers on the market. If you stick with one of those two you should be fine.

Eric at Innovative Diesels does the tuning and is really on top of his game.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Originally Posted by LVEILLON
Eric at Innovative Diesels does the tuning and is really on top of his game.
Very true...thats why I run them in my truck and will sale no other customs for the 6.0L. Plus they are just great people to work with.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I used the 1704 SCMT for a couple years prior to upgrading to the Fashpaq earlier this year. The 1704 worked great and pulled my trailer considerably better than stock with EGTs well within the safe range.

I just returned from a trip pulling the toyhauler out to Pine Top, AZ from San Diego using the Flashpaq in the tow safe mode and it of course worked just as expected.

My highest EGT was 1245 or something like that, but most of the time it was well below that even on some long full throttle climbs up the mountain grades.

The shifting was crisp but smooth and the shift points seemed to work well with where the engine was making power. I think that my mileage was slightly down from the last time I made the trip, but I believe that was due to more TLC from Ford on the last emissions flash they give me. The truck has seemed slightly down on power and mileage ever since the last flash. Certainly the max boost is down from around 31 - 32 PSI to around 27.5 to 28 PSI .

Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 PM
flyMike
Junior User
What's the XCAL2? Is it jsut a different programmer, or is it something to use in addition to the Flashpaq tuner?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
flyMike
Junior User
Never mind. I see it's jut another prorammer. So, if I were going to get one, which one should I get?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:51 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
The SCT was originally a part of Superchips but was the part that only did custom tuning. They broke off a long time ago and provide their own stock tuner, but mainly do custom tuning.

You can buy an XCAL from InnovativeDiesels or through DiscountPower that comes with tunes from Eric at Innovative. Then you can go on to get an Xtreme Tune if you want more power. I was mostly impressed with SCT's transmission file tuning. The shifting is the best available especially in Tow/Haul mode.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:41 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Thanks to all for your responses. I had hoped to hear positive results. I attempted to connect to my '05 F-250 CC PSD with my generic OBD-II reader and get nothing but"err". My intent is to stay as safe as possible, but yet add to the available power while being able to read OBD-II codes, therefore, the choice in the 1805 Flashpaq. I pull a fifth wheel RV when I can and the Tow-Haul question was most paramount to me. I love the Tow-Haul mode in the NM mountains. Both up and down the slopes, it helps greatly. Again, thanks to all for your responses. I will be looking forward to the 'Big Brown Truck' arriving next week. I've been getting about 16.5 mpg combined city/highway driving, and about 10.5 pulling a load. I don't abuse my equipment, by I am not affraid to use it either. I pull my fifth wheel when I can, to take 'Mama' camping. I'll check milage/performance and report when I can.

Thanks again,

Fred

Old 09-30-2006, 08:19 PM
dfuser
Senior User
The SCT Xcal 2 is the best of all the prgrammers we sell. Best when it comes for the 6.0L for sure. Add custom tuning to it and you have many options. We are one of the first to sell the Xcal2 when they come out and continue to sell more of the SCT than any of all other combined with very happy customers.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:30 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
flyMike...The SCT isn't just another programer(don't that sound cheesy)!

I've owned almost every SUPERCHIPS FORD tuner made through the good and bad. I also owned the FlashPaq1805, but they never got their custom tuning off the ground until a year later. I don't know that they are even offering it yet. The canned tunes that come in the FlashPaq are fairly broad to cover all the strategies out there. This is one thing that totally seperates the SCT from the FlashPaq.

There is just so many different things that you can do with the SCT XCAL2 over the FlashPaq. From the transmission tuning to Exhaust Brake to turning the EGR off. They have been doing it for years and there are tuners everywhere that you can buy their tunes and use. Then if you are a power-freak you can go into XtremeTunes that give unbelievable amounts of power and torque above the stock tunes.

In the end both tuners are the safest out there, but the edge goes to SCT for the endless customizing.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 PM
curtisch
New User
What is the most economical setting unloaded for a 7.3L f250 4x4, and the most economical with a camper (3500 lbs)? I have the 1805 & am just setting up.

Thanks!
Curtis

Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
flyMike
Junior User
SOrry about this...this post is a couple years old. I never did get a new tuner...but now that my truck is out of warranty, I am again considering it. The last I heard was that the Superchips XCAL2 was the best...but I can't even find it anymmore... Is it still aailable? Or is there an even better one to get these days? Thanks much

Mike

F350 Harley 6.0L PSD, fully loaded, big cab, long bed, 35" wheels...

Love my truck...but had to buy a car because the commute was breaking the bank...at >$5 per gallong deisel....

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 PM
StealmyTruck
Junior User
[quote=flyMike;6228955]SOrry about this...this post is a couple years old. I never did get a new tuner...but now that my truck is out of warranty, I am again considering it. The last I heard was that the Superchips XCAL2 was the best...but I can't even find it anymmore... Is it still aailable? Or is there an even better one to get these days? Thanks much[quote]

That's because the x3 is out now. People are running away from their diesels like little pansies so you can get an SCT x2 on ebay and craigslist for cheap-o-la!