1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone Please Explain Tow/Haul

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:07 PM
DR Buck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone Please Explain Tow/Haul

I have a 2014 F450 6.7 w/6 Speed Auto and would like to know what exactly does the Tow/Haul change/do to performance. I used it constantly when towing in my previous F350 and it seemed to affect MPG and engine RPM. The F350 also had an aftermarket engine exhaust brake that I used most all of the time , even when not in Tow/Haul. In the new F450 I don't see any difference other than I can feel the factory exhaust braking when in Tow/Haul mode. Engine RPM stays the same and just driving around with (no load) Tow/Haul turned on my MPG is a constant 13.9, same as with it off.

Other than the exhaust brake, what actually happens when Tow/Haul is turned on? Although it appears nothing happens when I engage it while in motion I'm guessing it changes the transmission shifting programing.

The reason behind the questions is sometimes I commute to my job in the F450 and here in Northern VA traffic is a nightmare and I don't like riding my brakes all the time. So, I turn on Tow/Haul to take advantage of the engine braking and rapid deceleration. Will operating Tow/Haul during routine commuting have a long term detrimental effect on the transmission or drive train?

Old 12-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
No, it will not.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Larry Straight
Junior User
When towing a trailer or carrying a heavy load, that button will stop the transmission from constantly shifting gears. It will hold a gear longer until the truck is sure it can use the next gear.
I wish we could still get a manual transmission so I can make the choices!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
For the little use and knowledge I have from Tow/haul which was in 6.2 gas truck it adjusts the shift points on the transmissions and the gears it uses.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:54 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Straight
When towing a trailer or carrying a heavy load, that button will stop the transmission from constantly shifting gears. It will hold a gear longer until the truck is sure it can use the next gear.
I wish we could still get a manual transmission so I can make the choices!
Larry said it best DR! I use it all the time carrying my 3600 lb truck camper and as soon as you touch the brakes to slow down, the truck downshifts to take some load off the brakes. I used it with my '08 6.4l diesel and my new 6.2l gas F350. As Larry stated, it also holds each gear longer and stops the constant upshift/downshift you get carrying a load. It also downshifts sooner climbing hills with a load. I don't think it will hurt you using it no load in traffic - but it shines pulling/carrying a load! Hope that covers it...

Happy Holidays!

Jim D

Old 12-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I used tow/haul all the time in my '01 and '06 F-250 service bodies with the 5.4L, for the same reasons you're wanting to. I was driving in heavy stop and go traffic in Phoenix, and used the transmission downshifts to help with the braking so I wouldn't have to constantly ride the brakes in grid lock traffic.

It won't hurt a thing.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I used tow/haul all the time in my '01
No, you never used tow/haul in your '01. The first year Ford had tow/haul in ANY of their trucks was 2003. Before that the button was an overdrive cancel. It would just prevent the transmission from shifting to fourth gear.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Lol, you mean my wife is right, and I can't remember *****???

Say it 'aint so!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:44 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would warn that driving in the Tow/Haul mode with an empty truck on a wet road could cause the back wheels to slow down faster than the rest of the truck, especially going down a hill and using the brakes, causing the back to slide. With weight in the bed, that has never been a problem. But I learned that in an empty truck, coming down a hill, approaching a stop sign, at about 30mph while braking, you may need both lanes and the grass to stop it. Oh, and perhaps some clean underwear!

Old 12-27-2014, 11:43 AM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
But I learned that in an empty truck, coming down a hill, approaching a stop sign, at about 30mph while braking, you may need both lanes and the grass to stop it. Oh, and perhaps some clean underwear!

Old 12-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
If you have the transmission gears listed on the right side of the info display...you can use the minus (-) button on the shift lever to 'remove' gears that can be shifted into while in stop and go....you and also do manual shifting with the (+) and (-) buttons...

Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM
DCP
Senior User
"They" say that if you use Tow/Haul, it ups the hydraulic presser is the transmission and helps stop clutch band slippage.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:49 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When unloaded down a six percent grade, cruise control on, mine will down shift to fifth gear to maintain the set speed. When I'm loaded, I turn off the cruise so I can down shift a bit sooner.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by DCP
"They" say that if you use Tow/Haul, it ups the hydraulic presser is the transmission and helps stop clutch band slippage.
"They" don't know what they are talking about. It does not up the hydraulic pressure. There is no reason to up the pressure, the clutches never slip with or without tow/haul.

I don't know what a clutch band is, so I can't comment on that. And I do know every part inside the transmission...

Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 PM
DCP
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
"They" don't know what they are talking about. It does not up the hydraulic pressure. There is no reason to up the pressure, the clutches never slip with or without tow/haul.

I don't know what a clutch band is, so I can't comment on that. And I do know every part inside the transmission...
How can you know every part in a automatic transmission and not know what a clutch brand is? You must have never worked on a Torque Flight transmission before. Although I said clutch bands, I meant to say clutch packs. I do believe some manufactures still use clutch bands because Eric The Car Guy (ETCG) on YouTube shows you how they work. Lastly, "They" is different online forums that talks about Tow/Haul. It seems half of "They" say it increases hydraulic presser awhile some say it doesn't. Also, saying that clutches in automatic transmissions never slips makes me wonder how much you really know about automatic transmissions.

Quick Reply: Someone Please Explain Tow/Haul