1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E4OD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 AM
stevorino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Flashing

Picked up my new 95 F350 on Tuesday and Wednesday night the OD light starts flashing and it goes into limp home mode. It drove great up until I started it and the OD light came on. It had never come on before. I don't have a VSS on the tranny but I do have the RABS. I checked the connection and it is fine plus the speedometer works fine. Any thought about what it could be?
I'm going to pull the #9 fuse and see if it resets. I think I should have the codes read first. Seem like a good idea? I'd hate to burn up a good tranny driving it with bad sensors or something.

PS The fluid is good.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep have it scanned, check ALL fuses as there are about five different fuses that could blow and cause trans issues.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
stevorino
Senior User
Well, I took it to a local shop and they checked the codes and it had to be opened up. P0603 I think was the code. I can't remember exactly, but it clearly needed to be checked. The fluid went from a nice red on Tuesday to brown with shavings today. So....I'm waiting for them to tear it apart and find out what's wrong. He said if he can replace only the parts that need it, ie. clutch pack, then he will fix it and give me a 3 year warranty. I thought that sounded pretty good. I was concerned about just putting in new parts around old ones, but with a warranty, I figure 600-700 bucks is better than $1600. Sound right to you?

Old 09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

well it a better warranty than most would give! make sure it will cover the whole trans not just the parts he replaces. even then if you don't have the money for a whole rebuild then its a good deal. one warning though is if there are metal shavings they could ahve passed by the filter/strainer and gone into the cooler and torque converter. but wait to see what he finds in there.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:23 PM
stevorino
Senior User
I thought about the metal shavings. I'm going to see if he'll warranty the whole thing. How do you check to see if shavings are everywhere? I guess you just flush the system?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:26 PM
stevorino
Senior User
Well, the news isn't good. There are metal shavings everywhere. The torque converter is shot and the piston in the case is grinding against the bore. Whoever flushed the tranny last time didn't put the magnet back in the pan. The three year unlimited mileage warranty is about as good as it gets. I'm having them install a cooler also. He said even if I was towing he would still honor the warranty because he said they would build it to fit my usage. At least I know I'll be good for a while. It ran beautifully for the two days I drove it. Anybody think it sounds fishy? I really think I may have gotten it at the wrong time.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:20 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

i would guess it was having issues before you bought it then just gave up the ghost after you started driving it. and it sounds like the tranny guy will be giving you a good deal. what is the cost going to be for the rebuild? 3 years/ unlimited mileage is a good warrantee.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:56 AM
stevorino
Senior User
He's charging $1960. It's more than I paid for my last E4OD, but a much better warranty and he replacing a lot of parts. He walked me throught the whole transmission while it was on the bench.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:02 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

thats still not bad. it would be worth it too to find out if he could safely firm up the shifts a bit so it doesn't slide into gear. sounds like an honest guy. if he was going to scam you he wouldn't show you parts on the bench.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
stevorino
Senior User
Will do. I'm calling him in a few minutes. Thanks for your help.