Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinging/sensor

Old 09-09-2006, 01:38 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
FortyFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by krewat
Cut the litigation crap or this thread will be deleted. Period. Not for one second will a 128K mile engine be warranteed.

Do these things in this order:

1) Reset computer - years back, quite a few people had their V10's pinging, and for some reason, resetting the computer made it go away for GOOD. There appears to be a bug in the earlier computers where it would slide the timing too far advanced and never back off. Matter of fact, sometimes it slides too far retarded and doesn't come back making for a sluggish engine.
2) Clean the MAF.
3) Check for vacuum leaks.
4) Change the fuel filter.
5) Check the EGR for proper operation and clear plumbing. Most V10's don't have one however.
6) Run 93 octane for a while and see if it helps the pinging. If it does, that means you have a real ping. If it doesn't help at all, and doesn't even change it slightly, that means it's not a ping, but more likely a rattle. Some of us have noticed the plate between the engine and bellhousing rattles at the bottom where it protrudes and the bellhousing inspection plate is supposed to hold it still. It doesn't without some help
7) If the 93 octane helped, change the knock sensor.

At this high a mileage, you could be fighting carbon buildup. There are products to remove this stuff, and some people just use a spray of water into the intake while revving the motor, but I don't like that method, it makes me squeemish

What would I do? Beat the hell out of it for a week, letting it really rev all the way to the shift points. See if it diminishes the ping.

Art ,Did I miss something? what litigation crap????

unless you erased it!!!! you been drinking again!!!!!!?
Rich

Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
skipperw
Elder User
skipperw is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have the money, this would stop your pinging.
http://www.snowperformance.net/

Old 09-09-2006, 04:04 PM
D/C101
New User
D/C101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another Pinging Problem

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site so hopefully I am posting my question in the correct place.

I too have a pinging problem that I have been unable to resolve and am very open to some suggestions.

I own a 2001 F-250SD 4WD with a V-10, and AT. About 2 years ago I installed a K&N Filter kit (P/N 57-2524-2). For some time I have been experiencing an ongoing pinging problem that seems most notable when I am driving on the freeway and within an RPM range of 1800 - 3500. I have tried a number of things to correct this problem including: 1) different fuel vendors and octanes, 2) octane boosters, 3) cleaning/replacing fuel filter, 4) cleaning/replacing MAF, 5) re-programming computer using a microtuner.

I have worked with my mechanic on this problem for the past year and who recently suggested having the dealership reprogram the computer. Yesterday I spoke with the dealership after they assessed the situation and they stated that the problem was the K&N filter system, (apparently the only DTC code they get is P1000 - "Monitor checks not complete / more testing required").

Their reasoning was that the increased volume of air was consistenly causing the computer to modify the fuel response so it was essentially running lean all the time. While this seems logical, I find it hard to believe that a company such as K&N would not know this or have a work around for it.

I welcome any suggestions!

Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
heavyiron's posts have been deleted.

It's not so much the diesel thing, but if someone seriously says they solved their pinging problem by going diesel, the guy must be deaf. They all ping, that's the only way they run

I don't see buying a new vehicle as a "solution" to the problem. Sweeping it under the rug, yes. But certainly not a solution.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
First, WELCOME TO FTE!

Originally Posted by D/C101
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site so hopefully I am posting my question in the correct place.

I too have a pinging problem that I have been unable to resolve and am very open to some suggestions.

I own a 2001 F-250SD 4WD with a V-10, and AT. About 2 years ago I installed a K&N Filter kit (P/N 57-2524-2). For some time I have been experiencing an ongoing pinging problem that seems most notable when I am driving on the freeway and within an RPM range of 1800 - 3500. I have tried a number of things to correct this problem including: 1) different fuel vendors and octanes, 2) octane boosters, 3) cleaning/replacing fuel filter, 4) cleaning/replacing MAF, 5) re-programming computer using a microtuner.

I have worked with my mechanic on this problem for the past year and who recently suggested having the dealership reprogram the computer. Yesterday I spoke with the dealership after they assessed the situation and they stated that the problem was the K&N filter system, (apparently the only DTC code they get is P1000 - "Monitor checks not complete / more testing required").

Their reasoning was that the increased volume of air was consistenly causing the computer to modify the fuel response so it was essentially running lean all the time. While this seems logical, I find it hard to believe that a company such as K&N would not know this or have a work around for it.

I welcome any suggestions!
The K&N is not the direct cause of the problem. The MAF sensor monitors how much air goes into the motor and adjusts the mix according, NEVER running lean. Only back in the days of "speed-density" type injection systems would an air filter cause it to run lean.

If the MAF got dirty, that'll cause it to run lean, and MIGHT be because of the K&N. Clean that first.

Check all heat shields, and especially the bellhousing inspection cover.

Reset the computer.

Read the rest of this thread, follow all the suggestions and report back if you still haven't solved it.

thanks!

Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 PM
heavyiron
Senior User
heavyiron is starting off with a positive reputation.
Krewat,

I'm not deaf, and I do realize that they all may ping, some a little, some alot, but I have tried all the "tried and true" ways to make it stop and couldn't.
As I said before, I dont have the luxury of the time or money to have the dealership find and fix the problem (mainly because there is no problem - no codes, nothing that can definatively be defined as being wrong).

So I am a little upset that you deleted my post. I have solved the problem because I got a great deal on the 07 and my V10 with 82,000 miles plus using more oil than it should was ready for retirement. That doesn't mean I dont like the V10, I did and I do, but if your going to be objective, maybe you should read the very first post in this thread and delete the whole lot.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
desrcr
Senior User
desrcr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by heavyiron
Krewat,

I'm not deaf, and I do realize that they all may ping, some a little, some alot, but I have tried all the "tried and true" ways to make it stop and couldn't.
As I said before, I dont have the luxury of the time or money to have the dealership find and fix the problem (mainly because there is no problem - no codes, nothing that can definatively be defined as being wrong).

So I am a little upset that you deleted my post. I have solved the problem because I got a great deal on the 07 and my V10 with 82,000 miles plus using more oil than it should was ready for retirement. That doesn't mean I dont like the V10, I did and I do, but if your going to be objective, maybe you should read the very first post in this thread and delete the whole lot.
I understand your mindset. Mine had been to the dealer when it hit 100k for a full battery of service and tests. I asked at that point if I should worry about replacing my truck, and was told it was solid. I am really aprehensive to tow anything at this point because of the detenation.
My truck has high mileage and finding a 3V V10 is not really an option seeing as they will deal bigtime on deisels.
So your option is warranted in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by heavyiron
... but if your going to be objective, maybe you should read the very first post in this thread and delete the whole lot.
It's got nothing to do with objectivity.

Saying your solution to pinging was to buy a diesel was not any sort of a contribution to this thread.

If you want to stir up a bee's nest, go to another forum.

On a lighter note, I find it hilarious that someone would say they "solved" a ping by getting a diesel. At least it pings by design, eh?

Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 PM
heavyiron
Senior User
heavyiron is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wasn't looking to stir anything up, in fact I had taken the information from this forum, and especially this topic and made a decision, namely, that the best course of action for me was to replace the truck. I use my truck everyday for work and that often entails dragging around trailers. The only thing on my V10 that I hadn't changed or checked was the fuel pump and pressure, which may or may not have caused the problem, although I dont recall anyone here doing that and solving the problem (??)
So, because I could, I changed over to the 6.0. I am certainly not pro one or the other, but in my area, there are no gas powered F250 of F350 available, only diesels.

So I stand by my original comment, that I did indeed fix my problem
Ofcourse it cost me alot more than a new fuel pump.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Originally Posted by D/C101
5) re-programming computer using a microtuner.

What microtuner product did you use? (part #) What was the tuner supposed to do?

The P1000 DTC code is because the PCM has not run a complete cycle (many times you will receive this code after installing a tuner). Delete the code...and then re-set the PCM, by disconnecting the negative battery cable. Turn the headlights switch on (allows for residual energy to be drained from system). Let that stand for 30 minutes up to 1 hour.

Since you are going this route, then I would recommend cleaning the MAF sensor while the battery is disconnected.

You will need to be able to drive your SD V10 for several consecutive short trips (city driving) and 50+ miles of highway driving all at the same time. This should allow the PCM to learn the new settings.

Good luck...and post back with any results!

biz

Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
desrcr
Senior User
I took my battery off service for a couple hours cleaned the MAF sensor while I went to get a PVC valve.
After returning it to use ,I ran it like I rented for two days. Seems to be running well and nothing but a very faint ping under load.
Still will going to mechanic this week

Old 09-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
I sometimes wonder if the cam/crank sensor is off-spec and triggering early, in situations like this with unsolvable pinging.

that "light pinging" might still be the bellhousing inspection cover. Did you ever do anything with it? Or check the heat shields on the exhaust?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:45 AM
desrcr
Senior User
I've been under more then I've been in it lately.

Last edited by desrcr; 09-12-2006 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:16 PM
desrcr
Senior User
All things checked out well (fuel pressure), it must now go to dealer to find if it has been reprogrammed. As of this point, pinging no longer exists and will pull myTH this coming weekend to see if all is well.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 PM
D/C101
New User
D/C101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Here is what I have done to date - sadly no change/imrpovement in my problem.

1. I wrote to K&N and described what I wrote here. They were great and responded quickly. Here was their response:

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in K&N products. You may want to disconnect your negative battery cable for one full hour. After reconnecting it will take about 100 combined driving miles for the computer to relearn for the increased air flow. Then see how it behaves.
Thank you,
Leon S. Collins
K&N Technical Support

2. I disconnected my battery for over an hour (though I did not turn on the headlights as suggested).

3. The MAF sensor was originally cleaned at about 63000 miles, and was replaced at 64236. Additionally the fuel filter was changed at that time as well.

4. I am still checking my heat shields but so far nothing found there.

5. I have not found any vacuum leaks but continue to search and check.

6. I have not checked to see if I have an EGR valve - next step I guess.

7. I have used higher octane fuel with zero change in the pinging problem.

Krewat - you suggest the possibility of carbon buildup - any particular product you recommend for removing it (other than water)? I could give that a go.

Biz4two asked what Microtuner I own - it is a Superchips Max Microtuner, model 1715.

I did not check to ensure that the DTC code(s) had been reset by the dealer when I took it in the other day, before I disconnected the battery at home - I think that I will give that a whirl for the heck of it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again to everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pinging/sensor

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.