Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinging/sensor

Old 09-02-2006, 08:08 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
FortyFords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ping = detonation
Detonation = lean
Lean = wrong fuel mixture (too much air or too little fuel under load)

Now to figure it out
Here are causes

pcm flash codes for v-10's
there have been more than a 1000 flash codes since 99
flash codes change fuel trims and ignition timing and parameters used for sensors to operate under(knock sensors ,maf sensor,iat ,etc....)

Bad sensors (knock sensors ,I have seen them be on the edge of failing range causing a bad input to the pcm .This results in the pcm's non retarding of timimg when needed.

Maf dirty, this changes measurement of air flow intake range to the pcm .can cause lean fuel trims.

Iat this can cause fuel trims to be off also based on intake air temps.

o2 sensors become covered in carbon insulating them from actual exhuast temps and giving false feedback to the pcm ,also causing fuel trims to be off.

Now
Fuel delivery itself will cause a lean condition (detonation)
Fuel pressure (fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator(uses vacum to regulate,could be a hidden problem there)
Fuel injectors (dirty not spraying fuel (atomization sp)
fuel filter dirty
with the crap we have for fuel now I'd believe alot more will clogg up
Rich

Old 09-02-2006, 08:14 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
There is more also to finding the cause of it.
as nomo has said if it pings on flat ground also then I would further investigate.
root causes first .
For a 99 with that many miles,you go for basic engine health first .then work your way up.
Rich

Old 09-02-2006, 11:17 AM
desrcr
Senior User
desrcr is starting off with a positive reputation.
At 100k I had it evaluated for major teardown, I was told it was strong with good compression and good basic health. It runs stronger then my freinds V10, which is a motorcraft crate rebuild. No overheating and no codes.
Was in recently for lean code (PVC tube failure) and no other codes were found. As I said fuel filter was changed recently aswell. Also changed EGR valve yesterday, it was fully functional.
The ping is slight put very annoying, at 2500rpm(freeway speed) if you accelerate it is (ping) faint put still there. When hauling a grade, upon deceleration after turning 4500rpm it will make a noticable ping/rattle. but most pinging is under load and slight but persistant.
I have been told by many this is not common or good for my motor.
I checked what it will cost to replace my truck, my wife says, it aint happening soon.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
heavyiron
Senior User
heavyiron is starting off with a positive reputation.
desrcr

You must be driving my truck !! Exact same condition. Mine does it unloaded as well. If I lock it out of overdrive and kick the RPM's up it helps a little, but not much. I agree with Forty that there are alot of things that could cause the problem, only problem is that I have no desire to go through all the headaches and cost of doing so, which is why I just grin and bear it. It is frustrating though because 99.9% of other V10 owners dont have any problems with this, which makes it difficult to pin point the root cause. BTW, my truck is a '01 V10 4WD 4:30, SC w/ 82K.

I hadn't considered the fuel pump as there isn't a loss of power, is there a known issue with the '01 fuel pumps?.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:57 PM
rgthoma
Freshman User
rgthoma is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe this is relevant....maybe not.

I had a truck (won't name the manufacturer for fear of retribution) that pinged under load, etc. I replaced the thermostat with a lower temp type and the pinging stopped...completely!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
desrcr
Senior User
Originally Posted by rgthoma
Maybe this is relevant....maybe not.

I had a truck (won't name the manufacturer for fear of retribution) that pinged under load, etc. I replaced the thermostat with a lower temp type and the pinging stopped...completely!
Funny, one service guy told me to go higher.....I did'nt change it.

Last edited by desrcr; 09-02-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:42 PM
desrcr
Senior User
I can get a MAF sensor for $125 new.
I'll try this after towing this week.
Fortyfords, what ias an Iat? and where is it?

Old 09-02-2006, 06:08 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
IAT = Intake air temp sensor ,If I remember on our trucks it is part of the maf
Have you did a fuel pressure test under load while driving?
A fuel pump with alot of mileage will begin to show degradation of psi,also these pumps have a screen on the pickup tube.

Do the test might save you some $ in the long run
Rich

Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
desrcr
Senior User
Originally Posted by FortyFords
IAT = Intake air temp sensor ,If I remember on our trucks it is part of the maf
Have you did a fuel pressure test under load while driving?
A fuel pump with alot of mileage will begin to show degradation of psi,also these pumps have a screen on the pickup tube.

Do the test might save you some $ in the long run
Rich
After driving it today(wife used it yesterday and it was still pinging bad) it seems to be ALOT better. I feel the exhaust was mostly at issue. there is still a little ping at hard acceleration but the rattling is not there anymore. I will have my trailer/toybox out next weekend and I'm going to Bullhead City on Tuesday. I will keep all these things in mind if the problem persists.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:35 AM
desrcr
Senior User
Alright, went to Bullhead to look for a vacation home/investment.
Truck ran great all weekend until we were whit in 10 minutes of the house.
I stepped down to mid grade gas in Bullhead could this be my problem?
Could it have been programed by previous owner?
I will change fuel filter today and go back to 91 octane.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
desrcr
Senior User
After changing the fuel filter,I started it up and the PVC valve was buzzing.
Of course I replaced it, could the PVC valve been the cause?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Originally Posted by desrcr
I stepped down to mid grade gas in Bullhead could this be my problem?
Could it have been programed by previous owner?
I will change fuel filter today and go back to 91 octane.

After changing the fuel filter,I started it up and the PVC valve was buzzing.
Of course I replaced it, could the PVC valve been the cause?
Anything is possible from a previous owner. I recommend taking it into the dealer service dept and have them scan the PCM. Ask them if there is a newer flash for your V10. That is...if you do not have an aftermarket flash already. If so, then set it to the newest available OEM flash.

How is the V10 running now that you changed the fuel filter and PVC valve?

biz

Old 09-08-2006, 03:27 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Why hasn't the fuel pressure been chkd?
It is common after those miles that they start to falter(pump)
rich

Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 PM
desrcr
Senior User
Its running lots better.
It will be checked next week(fuel pressure).
It was a short week for me and my mechanic didnt have time.
Then and only then will I let the Ford techs near it.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Cut the litigation crap or this thread will be deleted. Period. Not for one second will a 128K mile engine be warranteed.

Do these things in this order:

1) Reset computer - years back, quite a few people had their V10's pinging, and for some reason, resetting the computer made it go away for GOOD. There appears to be a bug in the earlier computers where it would slide the timing too far advanced and never back off. Matter of fact, sometimes it slides too far retarded and doesn't come back making for a sluggish engine.
2) Clean the MAF.
3) Check for vacuum leaks.
4) Change the fuel filter.
5) Check the EGR for proper operation and clear plumbing. Most V10's don't have one however.
6) Run 93 octane for a while and see if it helps the pinging. If it does, that means you have a real ping. If it doesn't help at all, and doesn't even change it slightly, that means it's not a ping, but more likely a rattle. Some of us have noticed the plate between the engine and bellhousing rattles at the bottom where it protrudes and the bellhousing inspection plate is supposed to hold it still. It doesn't without some help
7) If the 93 octane helped, change the knock sensor.

At this high a mileage, you could be fighting carbon buildup. There are products to remove this stuff, and some people just use a spray of water into the intake while revving the motor, but I don't like that method, it makes me squeemish

What would I do? Beat the hell out of it for a week, letting it really rev all the way to the shift points. See if it diminishes the ping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pinging/sensor

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.