General Automotive Discussion

your opinion on this "garage"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation your opinion on this "garage"?

What do ya'll think of this for a 6 month storage for my truck? I need something to keep animals,rain,sun,basicly the elements off of her.

http://www.carportsusa.com/canopy-carports/single-vehicle-canopy/products.cfm?action=view&key=PP012

And whats the best things or way to get her ready for such long storage?

I'm hoping I can erect this over cement but it'll be anchored down like it should be.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:40 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like to me it would keep the elements and animals off your truck, but i wonder about how well it would hold up in a storm, looks sort of flimsy but that charteristic may keep it also from blowing away, giving it some leeway.

plus anchoring down real good i think would be needed also.

have you looked into rental storage sheds also? in my area they are very reasonable, but in your area they may be expensive. i rented one while in the military for about 2 years to keep my stuff in.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Rental storage sheds? I've never heard of them,Unless you're talking about a place that is one long building and everybodys stuff is in it. We have plenty of those down here but they are expensive and for some reason,I just don't trust them.

If I could find some sort of "Automotive storage place" I'd even go for that.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Which model are you looking at? The round style looks like the right deal to me. More ribs and would stand up to wind a lot better. (Of course you probably never get wind down there. lol)

Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 AM
john112deere
Posting Guru
If you go that route, make sure you anchor it down real well. I've seem 'em start to "walk" in a high wind, and you don't want your truck inside it when that happens.

I don't particularly like them, though, because here in New England, they'll end up trapping some moisture inside (worse on grass than concrete). Seems every one I see around here has mold growing on the inside of the top. I don't know what the climate is like where you are, so I don't know if that would be a problem or not. (I would also imagine that if you, or someone else, was going to be home during those six months and opened the door when it was sunny out, you could do a lot to eliminate the problem.)

Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 AM
7700Rob
Senior User
I have two of these I use for outdoor parties, I don't know how you would anchor it on the driveway, because they come with plastic feet with holes for stakes. You might be able to run ropes to the grass if there's some close enough, and stake it that way. Or you could just tie it down to the truck!!!

If you want to go as far as greasing the rotors so they don' t rust, you could do that. You can put it up on jack stands to keep from flat spotting the tires. Also, I've heard of using dryer sheets to keep mice and snakes out, but I guess the snakes would take care of the mice. The mice will get under the hood and make a mess of everything around here. Just my 2 cents. Rob

Old 08-24-2006, 08:54 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
i use to keep my truck in storage for months at a time while out on deployment, that was up in rainy seattle also, i never did anything special to the truck, just parked it outside at a friends house, when i got back, the truck always started up and ran fine, did that off and on for 5 years.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:27 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they look a little cheapo, but they are also a very cost effective solution when quick covered storage is needed. You also do not have to pay that obscene price they are showing; I can go to Costco and have one in a box and in my driveway in under 60 minutes for about $169.88 + tax. Make sure that you secure it to the ground well and keep the door closed (if walls are installed) when it's windy and you will be just fine. Fail to do this and that garage will lift/flip/etc, guaranteed.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know how you would anchor it on the driveway, because they come with plastic feet with holes for stakes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He could drill holes in the concrete and hammer lead anchors into the holes ...then bolt
the legs down.

*Please Note:

The last major storm that blew thru my area completely collapsed and the sent flying 3 of these canopies miles away from the town they were in .
I saw them in farmers fields the next day.

I don't think you need one that fancy.
Costco sells them for a couple-three hundred bucks.
and I bought a fancy brand new one at a liquidation center for $150.00
It is 10' x 20'.

Lastly, the sun plays havoc on these if they are erected 24/7.
The material deteriorates which will need replacing down the road if storms don't chew it up.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Thanks for the input guys,It might be erected over a concrete slab with tin fencing around it. I planned on using heavy blocks,old railroad ties,etc... to anchor it down on the cement,But over cement is a possibility,and over the cement,itd be under a large tin roof.but if its put here at the house,It'll be in the yard id direct weather. Would harbor frieght carry these? ?I've never heard of Costco,I'm about to look them up. Thanks again.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
7700Rob
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
I don't know how you would anchor it on the driveway, because they come with plastic feet with holes for stakes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He could drill holes in the concrete and hammer lead anchors into the holes ...then bolt
the legs down.

Well yah, thirz always thot owption eh.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:17 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Why do you need a cover for only 6 months? Just park it and go.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:21 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
I got one simiular and one thing is you don't have to apy taxes on it as you would for a permanent building.
These are good as temp. Storage and parking. Eventually the elements will deteriorate the material. Hopefully by then You can afford to build a proper garage. That is what I use mine for. Later hope to build a 4 car garage.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
Why do you need a cover for only 6 months? Just park it and go.
Because it has 2 leaks into the cab and I'm trying to keep it rust free as much as I can.