General Automotive Discussion

Auto transport

Old 04-17-2004, 12:29 AM
SteveCA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had any recent experience moving a classic truck/vehicle? I've got a 1955 Ford F350, newly painted, overhauled that I'd like to move from MN to CA.

Hunting for on online seems like flipping a coin, so any suggestions or stories from previous experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

-Steve

Old 04-17-2004, 01:44 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
I too would be interested if someone has any info. For our pending AZ move, I'll be transporting 3 vehicles. It's a craps shoot for me by just going online and searching. I don't trust the Galaxie to just anyone. Steve, everyone I've talked to about this has said be very careful, some car movers are like the furniture movers, some don't stick to their dates of arrival and will hold the car "ransom" for higher charges. I don't know, still looking myself. We are moving sometime in June or July. Good luck, Blair

Old 04-17-2004, 02:02 PM
The Fife
Senior User
I'm curious myself, since I'll be moving sooner or later and have to move a car that doesn't run. I'm looking at less than 200 miles so maybe renting a truck and car carrier that'll keep all 4 wheels off the ground might be the best way to go?

Old 04-17-2004, 04:33 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i had to tow a car from ca. to ohio, i rented a uhaul truck and trailor, a friend and me drove it back, pretty easy, except going down through the mountains. use downshifting to conserve the brakes, make sure the brakes are fairly new when renting a truck, as far as to hiring movers, get recent referances and call them. don't take the movers word, read the contract! watch them load the truck to make sure it is done properly, take pictures during the loading process, pack valuables yourself. and check your home owners insurance to see if they will cover breakage during the move. i hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2004, 04:49 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Our main plan is to rent a Penske or Ryder 35' with a car hauler (not a dolly) and pull the wifes Jetta out to Arizona. But we have a Windstar, the 65' Galaxie, and my beloved 79' F150 that are coming too. We have looked into the transport scenario and it's not too bad. We figured about $800 for each car, and got estimates from $650 thru 850 per car. Two carriers said if they all run, (yes), and they can get close enough to my house (big truck on little roads spell trouble), I can get multi-car discount, and delivery discounts. I have found most carriers offer discounts depending how close they can pull up to pick-up and drop off locations. But we had planned the expense into our moving costs, so we were prepared for footing the bill. Some folks may reconsider due to just that alone. A Penske 35' with the car hauler and all the insurance they sell is around $2800. Not counting fuel. We figure with all our family here in Virginia and all the family in Arizona, we should come out ahead by not hiring pro's to do it. Lot more labor intensive, but a couple grand cheaper. But like I said, we knew a cross country move would be pricey, we have saved up $$$$ to get it done. If I hadn't been hoarding my overtime dollars for a year plus, I would more than likely sell everything but my 65' and the Jetta. Trailer the Galaxie, and drive the Jetta out. With more vehicles, it could save me a $100 or few. But I plan on reading contracts thourghly, my Dad just sent me some links of ones he has used in the past. I hope to lessen my search through his help. Again, good luck. Blair

Old 04-18-2004, 07:21 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
When I moved from Chicago to Cincinnati I just bought an 18' open car-hauler. Moved my '65 Cutlass, '23 Model T & '88 Sable. The F150 pulled em with ease, and now I have a trailer when I need it. It cost me over $2K for the trailer, but I can always sell it down the road. This was the cheapest way for me to go and nobody messed with my cars. I've also used the trailer to move furniture and haul 16' Masonite siding for my garage.

MR

Last edited by MrOldV8; 04-18-2004 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:40 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
All I can say, is good luck. I paid to have a T-Bird 35th Anniversary model shipped from Trenton, New Jeresey to me in Ft. Walton Bch, Florida. About a week after the car left Jersey, I received a message on my aswering machine. "We couldn't find your house, so we left the car at ------- Ford Dealer". I had never even heard of this dealership, so I did a search Online for it. My car was dropped off in Tampa. A 10 freakin hour drive from here. I contacted the transport company, and they said , that when they couldn't find my address (duh), they called the crook I bought the car from. He told them to just drop it off anywhere. This was an eBay purchase, so I had a LITTLE leverage. After many threats, the guy finally agreed to have the car shipped to me from Tampa. Three weeks later, it arrived on a rollback trucks. The hood was smashed in the front, the body had received heavy hail damage somewhere in transit, and the head gaskets were blown. After many calls, I finally got to speak to the jackass who sold me the car. He offered to send me $350 "out of the kindness of his heart", to help repair the car. Maybe it was because I cussed him out, but I never received the $350.