1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 PM
marty68
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily driver?

Just getting ready to put back my '64 f100 4X4, with all new parts and upgrades and not skipping anything. Should i use it as a daily driver? Getting tired of lease payments and lease almost up. How many of you guys use your Slick as a daily driver?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 PM
magic_man77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you driving a lot of miles each day?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:17 PM
marty68
Junior User
Not really. 12 miles to work and back. Odd trip to Halifax (4hrs away) and of course to see my mom, 6hrs away 5-6 times a year.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:23 PM
magic_man77
Freshman User
I would drive it. That's not that many miles.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:08 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Short rides, no problem.
Those long trips though...
4x4s don't exactly ride nice, and the wind noise is pretty awful. I've done a few really long, multi-state road trips in my 4x2. It's reasonably comfortable, but not having cruise control stinks. I also find the stock steering wheel numbs my hands as it's so hard.
I wouldn't make any decision until you have had it on the road for awhile and fine tuned it, as well as decide if you can stand it on a daily basis. As far as reliability, shouldn't be a problem as there isn't much to go wrong.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:46 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Marty
FWIW I drive my 65 4x2 as a daily driver 17 miles each way every day. I have completely gone thru the front end with new shocks and bushings. I also gave it taller gears. I insulated the cab to cut down on wind noise and added a stereo for the rest of the noise. I have taken on a couple of 2 hr drives with no problem. I just installed bucket seats and my father had wrapped the steering wheel with a cover.

I love driving this old truck. I drive the speed limit (65mph) everyday with no problems.
If I only had A/C it would be nice. I have 90% of my parts for a disc brake swap and will be doing that when time permits.

Enjoy your truck.

Jon

Old 07-08-2006, 09:05 AM
doc_f250
Senior User
As soon as I get the time to swap in my disc brakes & drop spindles, my '66 will be my daily driver (barring snow & blazing hot days, the the '97 gets the nod)

These trucks are tough as nails & w/ the right mods - a pleasure to drive often.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Hoopdie
Freshman User
Marty,
I drive my '66 to work every day. 40 mile round trip. Every chance I get, I jump in and take off. The other car. can sit.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:42 PM
magee
Elder User
Just remember, people drove these trucks every day back in the late sixties on into the seventies. Until a couple of years ago, my daily drivers were always classics. I got tired of no A/C and purchased something newer, but when it's paid off, I plan on driving another classic except when the weather is too extreme (hot, cold, heavy rain). Enjoy driving your truck as well as not passing vehicles just like yours 1000 times a day.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
If I was in your delima, I would have it as my daily driver. Your miles aren't that many to and from work, as for the long drive 4-6 hrs its only a few times a year just take off plenty of time, and make a cruise out of it. No need to run it hard for 4-6 hrs make it an 8 hr journey, do a little site seeing, let people admire your truck take in the country just remember every time you get in your truck pat her on the tailgate and enjoy the ride. Sharing your 64 with others is what it's all about. You'll never know who you'll run into at one of your stops or what you might see. So either way enjoy your ride

Staying low for now
Robert

Old 07-09-2006, 05:31 AM
marty68
Junior User
Thanks for the input. Well, i think you guys sold me on using my '64 as a daily driver. I'll see how the build up goes, but if it drives like a dream when she's all done, the toyota is going back to the dealer at the end of the lease!

There aren't too many old girls like my '64 up here driving around so i'm sure it'll be a head turner when i start driving it! The only thing is that if i decide to drive it daily, i'm for sure going to have to get it rust proofed every year because of the salt they use on the roads in the winter up here in maritimes and watch for signs of corrosion on the old girl.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:04 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Salt? You'll want to park it. Just buy a cheap beater for the winter months. That's what little fwd Korean cars are for! These trucks have zero galvanized metal in them, so you won't be happy with the results after a winter or two of salt infestation.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise control? I thought once you got her warmed up, and going down the road the pull out choke became your cruise- control. lol.
I agree with daily drivers; and if you condition are salt infested, buy a old foreign car for those rough months.
I drive a no p/s & p/b with the old factory steering wheel 66 lwb daily, I mostly do intown driving; but jump on the interstate and run 25 to fity miles one way trip as well. I believe braking and steering are the best upgrades to enjoy a Slick as a daily driver.
What's funny is these trailor queens with p/s & p/b upgrades and never really get to use them; beyond the car shows.

Mitch

Old 07-09-2006, 04:36 PM
dwhoyle
New User
I drive my 64 F100 every day much better on gas. The 03 F 150 is just for towing the car's to the race track.
D

Old 07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Drive it,, My DD is a 70 mustang ragtop until I get the 65 pickup ready for the road in a week or 2. I drive the ragtop everywhere and plan on doing the same with the pickup. Hell I was driving them everyday when they were new, why stop now? To this day I've never been left dead on the road by any of my pre computer cars. And I can't say the same for my computerized rides...